Grass Mesh Animation

+
Grass Mesh Animation

Hi, is it possible to turn off the wind effect on the grass meshes so I can cover my terrain using paint vegetation while minimizing the drop in frame rate? Thanks.

I was thinking of scaling down a bunch of grass meshes and then covering it over all the grass texture to make it look more natural. I don't know if that's a stupid idea but I thought it might be worth experimenting with.

Copy the grass mesh you want to use into your level (so you can change it), open it and deactivate "use wind" in its properties. If you plant it now (you might need to restart Redkit to see the difference) the grass doesn't move anymore.

That doesn't work. It seems all the grass meshes have wind already set to false yet it still moves. Weird, because all the trees have the option to disable the wind effect.

You can get wind in 2 ways inside RedKit, once is to enable the use wind inside the properties, the second one is to enable it under "Mesh editor > Tools > Create foliage data". Simply clicking on remove foliage data should disable the wind animation.

You can get wind in 2 ways inside RedKit, once is to enable the use wind inside the properties, the second one is to enable it under "Mesh editor > Tools > Create foliage data". Simply clicking on remove foliage data should disable the wind animation.

Thanks that works. The problem now is there's a ton of lag even though I've barely added any grass.

That sounds odd, you got a picture where you have "lag" with fraps (or any other program that displays frame rate)?

I've solved the problem. I was stamping high density and radius patches on vegetation which made it lag badly. What's odd is that now I have almost as much grass but doing it in smaller patches seemed to stop the choppiness. I have a couple questions though and I'd appreciate anyone who could help clarify. How do I remove painted vegetation and also, my grass looks really bright, is that something that can be fixed by playing around with the lighting? Thanks.

Hold shift while you paint to remove vegetation, or right click under the list of vegetation to remove everything of that asset. You should be careful with having to low density, you should try avoiding having the grass clip trough each other as that will give you sorting problems and will cause a performance hit. You can change the color of the texture the grass uses. You can choose to use the "Paint Color" tool under the vegetation tool. It will only paint on the selected mesh so if one type of mesh is to bright just simply choose a darker color and paint away.

Checkout the wiki articles they are full of details, to remove painted vegetation click on Shift while painting this will delete instead of creating.

Top Bottom