I'm still wondering...

+
I'm still wondering...

Why aren't the mods coming? It might sound greedy but I thought that after so much time of testing there would be some finished mods on release.
Mods like dice poker fix (camera angle, low bets, only one round) would make me happy. Or is that not possible with the REDkit?
I by no means want to blame anyone since I myself am too lazy to mess around with REDkit, just wondering...

I think there are various reasons why we have to wait for some more mods. First and foremost Redkit is still in an open beta and many modders who want to do big projects might want to wait until Redkit is in a more polished state. I don't think this is a good idea, but hey, some people told me so and I could not convince them. ^^

Another thing is that Redkit was released two years after the game. This is unfortunate because the hype around The Witcher 2 isn't as high right now, but for a studio that doesn't have 300 people it is still very impressive that we got the tools now. I guess the Redkit we have now was also released to "test" the infrastructure like the redkit page, etc. for the big storm of modders that will come with The Witcher 3 and the new Redkit, that will hopefully be released with the game.
I also think that The Witcher 2 has another target audience than Skyrim as an example. I don't think there will be as many "anime angel wing cat ear sex mod thingies" and more new adventures and quests, which is pretty rare for Skyrim. And those things take their time.
Many people also don't want to create completely new areas, but much rather want to change the experience of the main game. This is far more easy with games like Skyrim since they are open world. "There is a forest with nothing in it? Let's put a village there". This doesn't work as easy in The Witcher 2, since it is very closely planned and detailed. You have to look in what quest phase you need to be to add new stuff since everything can change in the game with a simple decision, etc. In an open world game you can just go to the map, find a nice place and put your stuff there.

This is only my honest and personal opinion and I am in no way a marketing expert or dare to say that I ate the wisdom with the golden spoon (saying that I could be completely wrong), but I think that it would have been a good idea to release some more pictures or appetizers while Redkit was still in the closed beta. I was around in the official forums and people complained about how they haven't heard anything for half a year or just plainly said they didn't care anymore. And in my personal taste I don't think they should have used a trailer with metal music (me no likey). :p
If we would have seen a short ingame cinematic in a completely new and different location with Geralt and Dandelion and afterwords some scenes from mods of the closed beta (and a soundtrack from the game. "True Hero" as an example), I think more people would have felt the urge to start modding.
But like I said, this is only my personal opinion because I also thought about what the reasons for this could be. Nevertheless I am sure we will have some great mods after a certain amount of time and maybe then more people will join the modding community. Redkit deserves it to be used by a lot of people, it is a great tool and I am very thankful to CD Projekt to have had the opportunity to work with it. :)

In the end it is like this: We have the tools to create some great mods. If we start working on them without looking at what other people do (or don't do), then more people will come and start modding after a few succesful releases. Look at the attention the new Full Combat Rebalance Mod gets. I am sure after it released we will see a lot of new people in the forums. :)

Last edited:
Good points, what's wrong with metal though? :p
Btw are those 'fixes' I mentioned (about dice poker) doable in the REDkit?

Haha, this was more of a personal "I don't dig the music" thing. I just think that a lot of people like me weren't too excited to hear it in the trailer. CD Projekt often uses a little rock in their trailers like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIOEYDFF250 But there's still that "witcheresque fantasy sound" in this song and I think it fits pretty good. But hey, there's no accounting for taste. :D

I think it is possible to fix it to your taste. Not easy, but possible. Just don't ask me how. :p

Top Bottom