Why does everything cost so much!?

+
Why does everything cost so much!?

I've loved the game ever since I played it a year ago and my only real complaint is that armor, weapons, and diagram to make both are so expensive. After a while in each chapter you I run out of ways to make money. Even hunting monster part takes a while (tons and tons of harpy feathers). I know its a design choice so you cant buy everything in one play through but still I always end up one broke witcher. Its hard out there for a pimp.

It makes an interesting change. In a lot of previous RPGs you become as rich as a king, with nothing to spend it on. In The Witcher I always found you had to think carefully about buying anything.

While I do like how every piece of gold counts in the game some of the items like the dark mode armors and swords cost so much its almost not worth bothering. But mostly it bugs me cause usually in RPGs I want to buy everything and try it, oh well that's whats multiple play troughs are for.

If you sell a lot of junk and other stuff you find everywhere, you'll have more then enough money for the things you need. Why on earth would you buy a diagram of a sword when you have a better one in your inventory? Just make sure you loot everything and sell anything you don't need.

On dark mode however, it's a different story, those diagrams are indeed very expensive. They are worth every penny though. What I did was put stuff like leather and cloth in the chest in chapter one, and some more stuff I didn't need in chapter two. Then in chapter 3, when I had a shortage of money and items, I could just take everything out of the chest and sell/ use them for crafting. I had the Dark mode items in every chapter on my playthrough.

Evolution101 said:
In The Witcher I always found you had to think carefully about buying anything.
Well, personally I think there is a huge difference between The Witcher 1 and 2 in this case. In the first game, after the first playthrough, I just always could manage to have like 5000/6000 orens (which in the first part is A LOT) in no time in every Chapter.

In The Witcher 2 is harder to do that, the money you get by selling I think is not even the 15-20% of what it really cost. I needed a lot of time to get over 5000 orens (which en the second part is even few depending on what you want) in each chapter.

I agree that you can get money more easily in TW1 (I used to sell the alchemy ingredients, very lucrative), but I think that the only time I've ever had financial problems in TW2 was if you're getting the DM sets, and maybe for a short while at the beginning of Chapter 2 when there are some nice items available to buy. Never a long-term problem though.

Chief said:
If you sell a lot of junk and other stuff you find everywhere, you'll have more then enough money for the things you need. Why on earth would you buy a diagram of a sword when you have a better one in your inventory? Just make sure you loot everything and sell anything you don't need.

On dark mode however, it's a different story, those diagrams are indeed very expensive. They are worth every penny though. What I did was put stuff like leather and cloth in the chest in chapter one, and some more stuff I didn't need in chapter two. Then in chapter 3, when I had a shortage of money and items, I could just take everything out of the chest and sell/ use them for crafting. I had the Dark mode items in every chapter on my playthrough.

I was mostly talking about dark mode items,and I always check to see if the diagrams Im buying are better the the equipment I have (who doesn't do this?), but that seems like a good idea. I always seem to forgot about the storage chest because when the game first came out it didn't exist I gotta keep reminding myself.

Hotnels said:
I was mostly talking about dark mode items,and I always check to see if the diagrams Im buying are better the the equipment I have (who doesn't do this?), but that seems like a good idea. I always seem to forgot about the storage chest because when the game first came out it didn't exist I gotta keep reminding myself.

Since you're not on your first playthrough, you may want to consider using a mod - either one of the weightloss ones (at least one has been updated to EE) or the one that reduces the price of the DM items (see sig :) )

I tend to think that it's best to play vanilla the first time, but after that, make life a little easier.

dragonbird said:
Since you're not on your first playthrough, you may want to consider using a mod - either one of the weightloss ones (at least one has been updated to EE) or the one that reduces the price of the DM items (see sig :) )

I tend to think that it's best to play vanilla the first time, but after that, make life a little easier.

I'm on my 6th play through I think. But yah i probably should just mod it some how though it feels like cheating.

I just toughed it out last night and made it my mission to get the Oathbreaker armor in chapter 2.

Use Dark Mode diagram price reduction found in Dragonbird's sig. The price is ridiculous and not well thought out. use it and enjoy the game as it should be.

You know how to make lotsa money for armor? Armwrestle Adam Pangratt in Roches path in Chapter 2, around 10000 times, then you have enough money to get every armour in chapter 3.

Dunno who to wrestle in Iorveths path though, still in the process of beating it in EE.

tehdude said:
You know how to make lotsa money for armor? Armwrestle Adam Pangratt in Roches path in Chapter 2, around 10000 times, then you have enough money to get every armour in chapter 3.

Dunno who to wrestle in Iorveths path though, still in the process of beating it in EE.

I think that hunting harpies is still the fastest way to make money on Iorveth path.

dragonbird said:

Used your advice and got the reduced price Dark items mod, got the dope kinslayers armor with no hassle.Thanks for that.
Now im curious is there a way to make Geralts hair stick out from his hood on the other hooded armors?

A good way of gaining Orens is to grab all those useless weapons from weapon racks and sell them off.

I usually end the game quite wealthy, which is usually how I end most RPGs since I tend to loot like crazy. XP farming will get you lots of alchemy ingredients, far more than you'll probably need, so you can sell a lot of ingredients and make a lot of money. Plus, playing through the game again usually means you'll end up saving money because you'll know that most of what the merchants sell isn't worth it because you'll find something even better.

Top Bottom