Let's rate the respective chapters of TW2

+

Galadh

Forum veteran
Let's rate the respective chapters of TW2

That's mine from GOG.com. Already translated and posted on Polish-speaking section.

Some of you may find this idea weird I reckon, but I am very curious how would you rate particular segments of the game. Any compelling characters that stuck in your mind? Engaging quests you recall? Remarkably memorable moments? Let's share.

I consider prologue as one of the best openings ever, at least speaking of video games, as opposed to TW, where the beginning was one of the very few game's drawbacks. Actually it was not bad by any means, but it was pretty far from being captivating intro, it did not really manage to pick up steam, although a lot happened there.

Now, that's how you introduce the game. Nonlinear storytelling, solid pacing, variety of gameplay pattern (casual hanging-out, a lot of fighting, seeking alternative route, running for your life, mini-games, sneaking), first glimpses of your choices and their consequences. It's perfect. Just perfect.

Our next stop is Flotsam, which resembles (in my opinion) the combination of Act I and IV of TW. It's excellent choice for the first major game's chapter, especially it does not lack some "barnyardness". Indeed, primeval forest with tree crowns rising higher than crenels of La Valette stronghold (can't provide exact measurement, though :p) is pretty far from the atmosphere of Murky Waters, but do not forget altars of pagan idol or Lobinden itself with its unsophisticated people sweating blood - there is something in it, am I mistaken? Gloomy uniqueness you get to breathe there is unforgettable, along with some side-quests (for instance Troll Trouble or In the Claws of Madness), scenes like the first „squabble” of Iorveth and Roche („Iorveth – regular son of a whore!”), tasteful Geralt-Triss scene in elven ruins or saving comrades from execution and the following conversation in the inn. Some nice character development, whole thing with Kayran, some Slavic feel, not real rush and an opportunity to simply enjoy environment for what it is. It's the best game's part, I believe. That's what should be called screenwriting at its best.

Later, it's getting weird. Consensus among people seems to be that Vergen is the favorite hub overall and it may be true, especially when we consider hanging out with dwarves, „Vergen by Night” track and the feel of helping opressed by opposing an attempt at invasion. On the other hand, Roche's path, more emotionally involving, harsh and witcher-alike (Iorveth's path feels a little mainstream) doesn't really offer intriguing realm, includes kinda less pleasent companion (excluding Roche, who is masterfully written and exceeds Iorveth slightly) and generally is missing something, I gather, although it is still very good. In conclusion, despite being very good/great, neither reaches previous standard.

That leaves us with Act III + short Epilogue. What can I say – location itself looks phenomenal, but it lacks soul, feels kinda monotonous, which isn't the case if we speak of Vergen. The summit in Loc Muinne is one of the best scenes in game, Radovid shows up, one or two secondary characters are interesting, main choice (who shall we save) is exceptionally difficult (none of them is easy, of course), but all in all it's too short and the conclusion could be more satisfying (meeting with Letho and confrontation, verbal/by swords is sweet, though).

Maybe it's utterly foolish to rate it in any scale, but if someone asked me, I would say that Prologue and Act I are 10/10, Act II Roche's path/Iorveth's path respectively 8-8.5/10 and 9/10. And Act III + Epilogue? Tough one, really.

Can't wait to see your opinions.

At the risk of sounding lazy, I am inclined to say I'd give all of them a 9 or around that. The only one where I'd be tempted to give it a 8-8.5 is Act 2 on Iorveth's path, mostly because the battle, while good, could have been better with more cinematics and more variety during the battle (instead of defending the same wall).

The battle actually felt more epic when you arrive when it's pretty much over, on Roche's path.

Even so, this is how I would rank the chapters (from best to "worst"):

Ch2 - Iorveth
Ch2 - Roche
Ch1 - Roche-specific
Ch1 - common
Ch3 - Roche
Ch3 - Iorveth
Prologue
Ch1 - Iorveth-specific
Epilogue

or more roughly,
Ch2, Ch1, Ch3, P, E

I think I'll give Flotsam a 9 out of 10 because of the way it becomes darker as you find out more about it, and the beautiful scenery around it. It was the perfect location for Act I. Act II Roche's path gets an 8/10, I loved the scenery and all, but it was much harder to level up than it was in Act I due to the fact that it didn't have any monsters. The initial exploration was great, but once I got really far into the Act, I felt like I was just wandering around aimlessly while looking for monsters due to their rarity at the end of Act. I found the story great though, as it slowly turned Henselt from a respectable person into a total scumbag. I can't say much about Vergen because I just got to Iovereth's version of Act II. Act III was great, it was really fun with all of the boss levels and it's large area to explore, but it did lack something: a proper climax. I loved the ending to the game and how it left so many questions to what happened afterward, but it felt like the story went like this: "...::::..:." instead of like this: "...:::III:." I don't know if it's just me, or if it makes any sense to any of you, but it's just my opinion. Overall it's an awsome game, probably about a 9/10. I'll be playing it time and time and again, and probably like The Witcher 1 or more so, it will take me an EXTREMELY long time to get tired of it.

Flotsam is the best level, best scenery, most varied gameplay, best/most difficult bosses, best npc's, richest storyline. Act 2 and 3 (Iorveth path) feel much more linear, no memorable npc's, classic dungeon crawling and running back and forth, repetitive enemies, story becomes bit more "dull". Feels like CDPR spent all the "pyrotechnics" on Act 1 and then had to economize in the next chapters.

Best to worst.

Chapter 3: Roche.
Chapter 2: Roche.
Epilogue.
Chapter 2: Iorveth.
Chapter 3: Iorveth
Chapter 1.
Prologue.

As in many games the Prologue gets rather boring on repeated playthroughs. Chapter I is low because I always feel the need to farm my ass there heavily in every new playthrough so I don't stomped by the Kayran/Letho, but I think it's good despite it being quite linear.

Top Bottom