alvin SPOILERS

+
alvin SPOILERS

hi everyone.
Ive played through the game quite a few times now but i am still confused about how alvin is actualy the grand master as a kid.

From reading the various books in the game i concluded that alvin is a descendant of lara dorren and he is of elder blood and posseses powerful magical abilities.
In ch 4 geralt gives him the dimeritium,towards the end of the chapter he teleports away out of fear and in ch5 triss says he could be anywhere in time and space.

Now for my question;did alvin go back in time and become jaques de aldesberg grand master of the order and the games big baddie?
The similarities are evident;
-when they do magic they bothe have this pale blue glow about them
-they bothe wear dimeritium
-they bothe seem to like you and i got the distinct impression that the grand master just did not want to kill me,also the way he speaks to geralt is respecful and not threatening.
-finally,they bothe have visions that torture them psycologicaly.

ebrahimali said:
Now for my question;did alvin go back in time and become jaques de aldesberg grand master of the order and the games big baddie?
Probably. TW1 gives a whole lot of hints -- many of which you've listed here -- that Jacques and Alvin are the same person, which means that Alvin HAD to go back in time. But it never says that definitively, and neither Jacques nor Alvin plays any role in TW2.

I think we're probably supposed to assume that they are the same, but we haven't seen TW3 yet, and a good writer could do anything with what we have so far. Just as an example, Jacques could be Alvin's son, if Alvin went REALLY far back in time, which would explain all those similarities and explain Jacques' curious respect for Geralt, his knowing things that Geralt has said to Alvin, and so on.

So, yeah, probably. Probably they're the same. We don't have any definitive statement -- either from the developers or in TW2 -- that says it for sure.

That's The Witcher for you -- your best answers are "probably," rather than "yes" or "no." ;)

Ah yes Alvin. I absolutely love how they covered the whole Alvin/Jacques idea. They only gave us hints which we could infer the connection between the two, no hard facts, no answers. It was just magical and mysterious :) I do have a distinct memory of a conversation between Jacques and Geralt, where Jacques explicitly says something like: I know more about you than you know. The tone was very friendly. As if they already knew each other or Jacques had a reliable source who was sympathetic to Geralt.

Regardless, I'm not dying to find out the answer. I feel like the Witcher is so self contained and concludes perfectly, it doesn't need to beat the dead horse.

Now that we're on the subject: It's really impressive how the Witcher have several red threads that run through the game. Some are wrapped up and finished at the end while some are left to explore in other games, like the brilliant move to include the almost killing of Foltest at the end. It really does set up the atmosphere and tone for the next game. And it's a great premise too. End on that high note! Alright I'm rambling. Fantastic game and great idea.

yeah well ''probably'' has been eating at me in this my latest playthrough.the whole larra dorren thing would mean that alvin is the exception to the rule of larras male descendants.

Also ive just theorised that ithlinnes prophecy is alvin.
''...time of the sword and axe...'' scoiataelle and order conflict
''...white frost...'' what was de aldesberg's motivation for everything he did
''...a seed that will not sprout but burst into flames...'' alvin/de aldesberg is hen ichear and is the grand master of the FLAMING rose.

Also, Jacques de Aldersberg throws the "advice" you gave Alvin in Act IV back at you in the Epilogue. Even if one could carp at the other similarities (there's more than one living Source (Ciri), lots of magicians cast an aura, dimeritium is widely used, others have disturbing visions too), the fact that Jacques knows things that Geralt told only to Alvin is the clincher.

I like how they let the player to connect the dots. The hints are there, so it was intentionally suggested by the devs, but it is up to you to answer the question.
And it is in a spirit of the series too. Sapkowski also likes to handle some questions like that, leaving strong or not so strong hints, but sometimes refusing to give you the definite answer.

Also, it didn't seem like Geralt was eager to investigate it (which is surprising, given his attachment to Alvin). Jacques de Aldersberg was an important figure, and one could start digging information about him, for example to find some anomalies in his biography and etc. But Geralt didn't, may be because he felt he failed to prevent such outcome.

Gilrond said:
Also, it didn't seem like Geralt was eager to investigate it (which is surprising, given his attachment to Alvin). Jacques de Aldersberg was an important figure, and one could start digging information about him, for example to find some anomalies in his biography and etc. But Geralt didn't, may be because he felt he failed to prevent such outcome.
Or maybe because the game was over. ;)

I also think the devs wanted to leave us with a few chills running down our spines.

Yeah, but I think you can conclude that Geralt didn't investigate it since in the Witcher 2 we see no additional information about it.

Top Bottom