Move game to new computer

+
Move game to new computer

So I switched from PC to notebook with all my old data and games. The game doesnt work properly after moving... its in english (originaly was in polish) and i cant launch it via launcher.
Is there a way to install the game manually? I'm not able right now to download so big files from internet so this is best option for me. Game was downloaded from cdp.pl and I unfortunately I deleted install files.
Please help me.

You have to bring over the Registry entries; that's the part that's easy to overlook. Can you still run Windows on the old PC?

If you can run Windows, run the program "regedit" and navigate to the folders "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CD Projekt Red" and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CD Projekt Red". In each of these folders, select "File -> Export..." and save the contents to files. On the new notebook, run "regedit", select "File -> Import..." and import these files.

The notebook will probably require you to install DirectX 9 and the Visual C++ 2010 redistributables. Get these from Microsoft.

If you copy the game itself to the same folder location (say it's at C:\Games\GOG.com\The Witcher 2; put it in the same place on the notebook), you won't have to change Registry entries.

Also bring your My Documents\The Witcher 2 folder and everything under it.

If you received and downloaded an installer from cdp.pl (like you would from GOG.com) you can simply move your saved games to the corresponding location and reinstall, and the game will detect and read them.

If not, then as Guy said you'll have to tweak Windows' registry to trick it into accepting your old installation. It would be great if the game didn't depend on registry keys to launch though.

Edit: Oh sorry just read you deleted the installation files. Too bad. Next time keep a back up, considering you can't easily download large files.

Thx for reply!
I sold my PC so I got access only to files. I cant run old windows.
I've got all needed files (old game + old windows on drive) but no information about registry entrys. I just need instruction how to make it work :/

freezoid said:

You were given a good answer before. Don't expect that you can do this unless you are a wizard. If you do not already know how to edit the Registry, and you are not 100% comfortable doing this, STOP RIGHT NOW AND GET A REAL COPY OF THE GAME!

How much of the game do you have?

There are the files under C:\GOG Games\The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition\ or wherever you installed the game.

There are the files under your account, at C:\Users\Your Name\My Documents\Witcher 2 or wherever your account is.

You should be able to make a workable installation out of just the files in the installation folder. But you must have a complete copy of those files.

You will need to install DirectX 9 and Visual Studio 2010 SP1 runtimes. Get these from Microsoft.

DirectX 9: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

VS 2010 SP1 Redistributables: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328

Security Update to VS 2010 SP1: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999

For the launcher to work, you will need to hack the Registry. If you are not 100% comfortable doing this, STOP RIGHT NOW AND GET A REAL COPY OF THE GAME!

I'll have to post the Registry edits later. They are neither simple nor short.

copy save games games to the appropriate location, run the games installer. That is the only way to get it working well.

Top Bottom