Berengar's body - Clay Pit

+
Berengar's body - Clay Pit

If this has been answered somewhere already, my apologies. Quest "Berengar's Secret": After receiving the message that I should search the Clay Pit for Berengar's body and then going there, the only bodies to be found are the two mutilated corpses (that I had discovered on a previous visit to the swamp). Am I supposed to find Berengar's body there? Or some of his gear? Or what? As I can't find anything apart from the mutilated corpses, the journal entry advising me to search the Clay Pit isn't updating, so it appears that the quest has come to a close - which can't be right surely? Any advice would be appreciated.

Heh. This part of the quest is a bit vague. It's not a bug or anything like that. Just keep completing the main questsand you will run into the answer eventually.Thats all I can say without spoilers.

There is a corpse there that will update your journal. Something about "Berengar is dead. Sad tidings for Vesemir next time we meet" or something.Just inspect the corpses, (click) and one of them should give you a popup text saying something about injuries inflicted by an or something. It's probably near the vadyanoi altar somewhere. I havn't played that part in a while, and I don't remember the exact details. But as long as your journal updates to the "Berengar is dead. Sad tidings..." part, you'll receive some xp, and move ahead in the quest. Even if you do not do this part, as long as you hear from Vaska that the villagers found a witcher's body near the clay pits, that should be good enough too. If you somehow miss that conversation as well, don't worry. The quest will resume later on in the game as a apart of the main storyline.As far as I'm aware, the "Berengar is dead" and Vaska's conversation is necessary only to deduce the connection between Berengar and Kalkstein. More for the sake of comprehension and continuity than actual progress in anything, really.

KeybdFlyer said:
If this has been answered somewhere already, my apologies. Quest "Berengar's Secret": After receiving the message that I should search the Clay Pit for Berengar's body and then going there, the only bodies to be found are the two mutilated corpses (that I had discovered on a previous visit to the swamp). Am I supposed to find Berengar's body there? Or some of his gear? Or what? As I can't find anything apart from the mutilated corpses, the journal entry advising me to search the Clay Pit isn't updating, so it appears that the quest has come to a close - which can't be right surely? Any advice would be appreciated.
Both vilgefortze and slimgrin are right.That part is vague. Anyway the corpse is a sort of "hint". Like Vilgefortze said, when Geralt found the body it says something like this: "these injuries are blade inflicted, a clean cut made by a sharp witcher's sword. Not the work of necrophagies". Then looting the corpse you'll find the broken salamandra brooch. Later on you'll discover other two hints (warning: spoiler!): Vaska says that another witcher came to help them but disappeared and never finished the job. Kalkstein hired Berengar for something we don't know, but the witcher disappeared. Then Geralt's journal log updates saying that possibly Berengar is died. We don't know exactly how Geralt comes to this conclusion. We only know that Berengar were in the swamp and that there was a fight near the clay pits. A salamander died (you find a broken brooch, you see?). Perhaps Berengar died in the ambush or similar. But still I don't know how Geralt realizes that Berengar died in the fight.Later on, you'll see how the story continues.

Excellent - thanks to you all for that info. I thought that possibly something had screwed-up somewhere along the way. I had already searched the bodies, noted the pop-up message, got the pin; so all is o.k. there and I can now continue onward!Thanks for the speed of the replies too!

Top Bottom