Playing the witcher 2 on ultra..

+
Playing the witcher 2 on ultra..

Hey, I bought a new pc yesterday just so i could play the witcher 2 on ultra settings.. I mean I literally went to best buy and asked for the best gaming pc they had in store. But you see the thing is.. when I try to play it on ultra, it lags a lot. Even on high, so I have to play the game on medium, which I guess isnt that bad but it still kind of pisses me off :/

My PC specs are:

AMD FX 6120 six core processor (3.50 Ghz)
10 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7450
Operating system is Windows 7 64 bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: The audio's also slightly out of sync

With a 7450, you'll be doing well to get the game to play on reduced resolution and low settings. Try Low, 1280x720, and windowed (set Fullscreen to "Disabled").

I don't know who told you that GPU met the game requirements, but they told you wrong. In AMD, you need at least a 3850, 4770, 5750, 6750, or 7750 for good performance. What you have is at best one-quarter of that.

Lipsync is far from perfect in this game, but an inadequate GPU does make the problem worse.

It also confuses me that the game says the recommended settings for my pc are "high". Like I said it works fine with 1280x720 resolution on medium settings (fullscreen enabled).

Man this is why I advice people to research more about hardware first before buying pre-built pc's because they do tend to rip you off like that. Buying pre-built is not recommended to begin with, building one from scratch is always the better option, you can build a superior computer for much cheaper price and its actually easier than it looks like, its become so mainstream that its just nowhere near as hard as it used to be back in the 90's.

But yeah they gave you a crappy video card there. Need to replace that. But first make sure your power supply is actually good enough to power up a more powerful video card because they do have power requirements.

But tip when it comes to selecting video cards. When it comes to video cards its the second number that matters, the first number only tells you the series the card belongs to. What you want to aim for is 6 and above with these newer series cards, anything below that number will be weak, you have a number 4 there so that tells you how weak that card actually is, doesn't matter that its from the newest series of AMD cards.

My advice is to go for 7/8 ones, like GTX670/GTX680, or if too low on cash go for the ones in the series before, GTX570/GTX580 etc. AMD also has equivalent cards like the HD7950 or HD7970, etc.

To play Ultra though with "Ubersampling" turned on, you will need to Sli or Crossfire two high end cards to get smooth Framerates. Like SLI 2x GTX670's or 2x GTX680's. Its a very demanding option aimed at people with beastly rigs.

Thanks for the tips. I'm a student so yes, Im low on cash. crossfire is not an option for me. I have another computer with a nvidia geforce 7600 video card. That one would be superior, correct?

Also, by building my own pc did you mean literally buying the parts and putting them together myself or more like the alienware-style build your own computer?

Witchplougher said:
Thanks for the tips. I'm a student so yes, Im low on cash. crossfire is not an option for me. I have another computer with a nvidia geforce 7600 video card. That one would be superior, correct?

Also, by building my own pc did you mean literally buying the parts and putting them together myself or more like the alienware-style build your own computer?

Its slightly more powerful but very very close. In GPU Passmark the HD7450 scores 378 while the Geforce 7600 scores 393. Its a very minor difference so those cards will probably perform the exact same. The HD7450 is from a newer series though so it will support features the old Geforce 7600 does not (its a very old card). SO yeah dont even bother trying to run the game on that, you will get same or probably worse results.

But yeah the Geforce 7600 is ancient.

And building PC, I meant buying the parts and assembling them by yourself. Its how most PC gamers do it nowadays, its just the way to go.

PC gaming is more than just playing games on the PC. To really be a succesfull PC gamer it is a must that you also understand the hardware side in order to have the knowledge to troubleshoot any problems you might encounter with a PC game. This is why so many PC gamers know so alot about hardware, because you are literally required to know these things in order to properly play games on the PC. You have to know about drivers,video cards, processors, RAM, motherboards, bios's etc, just to understand if you meet a games minimum requirements or not, or understand why a game is acting strange or giving you an error. You have to know how to maintain the computer, monitor the temps to avoid overheating, know how to setup proper cooling for your parts, etc. Alot of things to understand, but you are new to PC gaming, in time you will learn alot about all these things trust me, next thing you know you'l be overclocking your parts. There will be many times where you will struggle to get a game working and try different things, or open up your computer to change/upgrade something, so yeah you will learn all these things. They are actually very simple to understand, you'd be surprised.

If you do not mind me asking how much was this "gaming" computer from best buy. I would take it back. If you live in the States I would be happy to advise you and help you build a rig through skype or send me the oparts and I can assemle it and ship it to you.( I am not looking to make any money off of it either)

You can play the Witcher 2 on ultra settings less ubersampling with the New Nvidia GTX660TI Cost $300.00 for a reference(stock) Card. I get 60fps on 1920x1080p on a 22 inch LCD moniter

Great Card......That is a just a tad less powereful than a GTX670

Witchplougher said:
It also confuses me that the game says the recommended settings for my pc are "high". Like I said it works fine with 1280x720 resolution on medium settings (fullscreen enabled).

Yeah, the checker that does the presets doesn't look very deeply, and it comes up with unfortunate answers like that.

In current cards, the minimum I can recommend are:

AMD: HD 6850. Contrary to the claims of some, the game is not handicapped on AMD GPUs.

nVidia: GTX 550ti. The new 6xx series are better, but much more expensive.

In either case, you are going to have to spring for a new power supply. Nothing from Bust Buy will have anything but the cheapest possible excuse for a power supply. Corsair, Antec, and Seasonic (except for Antec Basiq) are all reliable. For cards like the ones I listed above, get at least 420 to 430W. For better cards than that, get a 500 to 650W model.

I have below min. hardware but on reduced res I can get decent performance. I mean it's not like you have to play the game on high settings. o_O

But yeah, gaming rigs are best built if you want to save money.

Never buy at a main store like best buy!! :mad:
Alienware was bought by dell and now its also ****.
How much did you pay for your new pc?

Witchplougher said:
I had the same problem, the setting on My PC were described as being able to support Ultra (clicked the recommended settings), but my comp also lagged. I was able to suport high perfectly well though.

Witchplougher said:
Alright, thanks. There go another $500, I might just buy an xbox 360 insted :/

Even with the PC you have right now, you can play TW2 with similar graphic quality compared to the xbox ;)
Btw, I recommend a HD7950. (Performance in TW2: http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2012/test-amd-radeon-hd-7950-mit-925-mhz/20/)

GeraltTheRiv said:
If you do not mind me asking how much was this "gaming" computer from best buy. I would take it back. If you live in the States I would be happy to advise you and help you build a rig through skype or send me the oparts and I can assemle it and ship it to you.( I am not looking to make any money off of it either)

Yes, I do live in the States, and thank you that would be great! Can you give me a list of parts to buy that could support The Witcher 2 on ultra or at least high for less than $1000? (Dont know if its even possible, idk a whole lot about hardware). Also you dont have to include the operating system or any kind of software or dvd drive, im not gonna need those ;)

Witchplougher said:
I paid $700 for it, I thought it was a decent price because of the RAM, processor, etc.
How much is a 600/700W power supply gonna cost ?

US prices, anywhere from about $70 to $90. At Newegg, that will get you a nice Seasonic S12II or M12II conservatively rated at 620 watts.

You could pay more for Corsair, but it will be the exact same power supply, with 30 fictitious watts added to the rating and 40 very real dollars added to the price.

slimgrin said:
I have below min. hardware but on reduced res I can get decent performance. I mean it's not like you have to play the game on high settings. o_O

But yeah, gaming rigs are best built if you want to save money.

Well if I cant get good graphics i might as well just play games on an xbox360 or ps3. Besides modding of course.. modding console games is near impossible

Top Bottom