Recent content by calasade

+
  1. C

Analysis: With Witcher 3 CDPR no longer treat the players like adults [SPOILERS]

The most critical aspect of a cRPG is choice and consequnce, is it not? How decisions fail to impact Geralt or the story or opposing decisions have the same impact (thereby making the decision inconsequential), those have been well-covered, so we'll skip them that have been mentioned and are of...
  2. C

Analysis: With Witcher 3 CDPR no longer treat the players like adults [SPOILERS]

RPG is not a subjective term. People like to try and make it a subjective term so they can call a game they like role-playing. The fact we have gone and broken down cRPG into different subcategories and combined various genres hasn't helped. Witcher 2 dumbed down more than 3? Which features a...
  3. C

While 1 and 2 are more or less RPGs, 3 is not. In 1 and 2 your decisions matter. They influence the immediate and long-term. 3, on the other hand, has many decisions that do not impact the world (or even Geralt) one bit. Thus these decisions are inconsequential and are nothing more than window...
  4. C

Which game someone prefers is up to personal taste. For instance I found TW 2 to be best among the three. What cannot be argued is TW 3 being dumbed down and its much lower level of difficulty. Nor can it be argued that the target audience was changed for TW 3. TW 1 & especially 2 were made for...
  5. C

Even a madman would ask for more is my thinking. Here Radovid has under his thumb a dangerous killer that has access to Emhyr and Radovid is a ruthless king losing a war... Philippa was another that should have been much harder and way more of a mystery to discover. Pretty obvious who the owl...
  6. C

I didn't mind that Junior was inherently evil either. I in fact experienced some of the greatest satisfaction from TW 3 in having Geralt kill the sick SOB. Nor did I feel like it violated Geralt's moral code. He kills monsters regardless whether they are bestial or human. Also liked having to...
  7. C

Caranthir glitch @ end-game fight before Eredin

Issue still exists in 1.12. Will post screenshot later tomorrow when I replay this and the Eredin battle. I never skipped a scene either, so that has no impact.
  8. C

What's with Yennefer and Emhyr?

Among the highest priorities for writers of any medium is overcoming the curse of knowledge (writing about something they inherently know which the reader will not). So to rely on history outside the scope of what you're currently developing is a bad idea. If what you're presenting is not...
  9. C

Thank you. I tried and couldn't explain some of that regarding how it impacts my view of the differing canon/characters thanks to diazepam-induced fog. Also forgot to mention my take on the canon aligns with Sapkowski's. Anyway, what I meant to so say is great point about bad writing vs...
  10. C

I couldn't explain it. There would be no way to explain it. Guess what I feel boils down to is that about the time I reached Novigrad I stopped trusting the writing of CDPR and in my mind completely divorced the characters of the game from those of the books. ---------- Updated at 12:54 AM...
  11. C

Now that is bad writing, that someone who took a certain path can get such a different perception about a major character vs. taking another path. At the end of the day, regardless which road a gamer took, the gamer should come with away with a pretty accurate impression of a major character.
  12. C

I would have minded Sapkowski doing it more. 1) I expect far better writing from him and 2) his writing Yen doing that would be going out-of-character. A mortal sin for a talented author. ---------- Updated at 12:32 AM ---------- Now not so much because I learned a few things about Yen I...
  13. C

To me the shared canon ended when TW 1 debuted. You have different media taking different directions and telling different stories, so anything book lore and game lore share now I consider coincidental. Maybe I could explain this better if not for the pinched nerve. My brain is a bit on the off...
  14. C

I thought about saying that, but didn't because I have a tendency to piss off people when it comes to Yen and wanted to avoid any arguments. :)
Top Bottom