Is Jackie DEAD?!

+
Question is, is that already determined, or can we affect that via our story choices?

If the former, major WTF to CDPR for spoiling that. Actually, no, even if it's the latter, still major WTF.

That's not intended as hostility, but a genuine expression of confusion.

Best guess is that it happens relatively early on. I hope.

Question is, is that already determined, or can we affect that via our story choices?

If the former, major WTF to CDPR for spoiling that. Actually, no, even if it's the latter, still major WTF.

That's not intended as hostility, but a genuine expression of confusion.

Best guess is that it happens relatively early on. I hope.

IKR?! Why would they spoil something like that?! I love Jackie as a character already ;_; honestly I was more shocked about that than Keanu Reeves being in the game lol

I’m thinking that only happens if you go psycho lol

It’s kinda like a mixed continuation of the Gamescom gameplay they showed last year with Male V (for journalists only). V does a deal with the gang, gets the bot, and when he’s leaving someone mocks his jacket and he proceeds to kill everyone LOL

There had to be a consequence to that right?

I'd rather the events be shaped by player choices.

I’m thinking that only happens if you go psycho lol

Could be. But Dexter refers to Jackie as "that psycho friend of yours" afterwards. Kind of worrying in terms of railroading.

On the other hand, I speculated in the other thread that the chip would function as your reload device, which would mean it gets introduced early in the game (pretty much first zone/level whatever). Which would mean the first level has to be railroaded a bit.

However, in the car, Jackie gives V the chip as his last act. Did he already use it...?

ps. Bonus sector: People are freaking out for Keanu Reeves as Johnny Silverhand. Anyone remember that character creation screen from 2018, where among other things you got to pick your childhood hero? What if that childhood hero is who appears as an apparition to pick you up post-respawn? :) Johnny was one of the three..

If nothing else, this goes to show that CDPR isn't afraid to tell a heavy story. Man. I had serious feels watching that trailer.

Right?! I loved it so much!
I really want the characters to react emotionally to the world around them! Even if they are used to changing their bodies and to death, I want to see how a friend dying affects people, I don't want robots you know? So this trailer made me really happy with that! I want to see all their feelings!

I'd rather the events be shaped by player choices.

Could be. But Dexter refers to Jackie as "that psycho friend of yours" afterwards. Kind of worrying in terms of railroading.

On the other hand, I speculated in the other thread that the chip would function as your reload device, which would mean it gets introduced early in the game (pretty much first zone/level whatever). Which would mean the first level has to be railroaded a bit.

However, in the car, Jackie gives V the chip as his last act. Did he already use it...?

ps. Bonus sector: People are freaking out for Keanu Reeves as Johnny Silverhand. Anyone remember that character creation screen from 2018, where among other things you got to pick your childhood hero? What if that childhood hero is who appears as an apparition to pick you up post-respawn? :) Johnny was one of the three..

Hmm I think in that case he's calling Jackie a Psycho cause he went killing everyone with you. But I honestly think this trailer will not be how things will play out at all in the game, together with the quest in the demo. So while I think your theory is interesting about Jackie and the chip, I think the game won't develop the way the trailer did. Maybe they will use this some way with the augmentation that makes you immortal later on?

The thing about the childhood hero crossed my mind too!! But it's freaking Keanu Reeves lol, he has to definitely appear regardless of how you're playing imo.

Right?! I loved it so much!
I really want the characters to react emotionally to the world around them! Even if they are used to changing their bodies and to death, I want to see how a friend dying affects people, I don't want robots you know? So this trailer made me really happy with that! I want to see all their feelings!
Indeed!

Despite what everyone thinks, the humans of the Dark Future are still, y'know, humans. Humans have emotions. Feelings. Bonds.

Losing Jackie like that... Phew. You could see the emotion on V's face.

Even though the game would no doubt have some bits that diverge based on player choice, I'd bet on Jackie and the events of both this and the gameplay trailer being from the prologue, and Jackie's death & a falling out with Dexter being scripted.

No way the intro of Johnny "Wick" Silverhand is optional. More likely that intro serves as the launching point for the main plot.

I suspected that Jackie was gonna die even after E3 2018, because we knew then that Jackie's car would become V's car, so the story makes sense that Jackie dies then V takes over his/her friend's legacy. I don't think it's an optional outcome. Jackie is 100% dead IMO.

This only makes me more hyped though. Imagine, since both the 50 min gameplay trailer and the E3 2019 trailer take place early in the game (safe to assume), in term of stage time Jackie would only be a minor character in the game, yet CDPR did an amazing job with him, establishing him as more 3-dimensional than many minor characters in many other games. Makes one wonder what a good job they'd done for the major characters.

Last edited:
Even though the game would no doubt have some bits that diverge based on player choice, I'd bet on Jackie and the events of both this and the gameplay trailer being from the prologue, and Jackie's death & a falling out with Dexter being scripted.

No way the intro of Johnny "Wick" Silverhand is optional. More likely that intro serves as the launching point for the main plot.
Well, they could always have other events that lead to the same outcome.

I suspected that Jackie was gonna die even after E3 2018, because we knew then that Jackie's car would become V's car, so the story makes sense that Jackie dies then V takes over his/her friend's legacy. I don't think it's an optional outcome. Jackie is 100% dead IMO.

This only makes me more hyped though. Imagine, since both the 50 min gameplay trailer and the E3 2019 trailer take place early in the game (safe to assume), in term of stage time V would only be a minor character in the game, yet CDPR did an amazing job with him, establishing him as more 3-dimensional than many minor characters in many other games. Makes one wonder what a good job they'd done for the major characters.

Damn. That's a good point about the car.

It just hit me: the stuff with Jackie is White Orchard. Your relationship with him will build and build and build... And then end...

I only wish they hadn't freaking spoiled it so early.

And this would be a nice plot device, too. V's personality up to this point has all been rather simpleminded, like "f*ck yeah we're in the major leagues!" This event probably works as a wake-up call for V, and sets V on the path to become something bigger.

This only makes me more hyped though. Imagine, since both the 50 min gameplay trailer and the E3 2019 trailer take place early in the game (safe to assume), in term of stage time V would only be a minor character in the game, yet CDPR did an amazing job with him, establishing him as more 3-dimensional than many minor characters in many other games. Makes one wonder what a good job they'd done for the major characters.

It's a good theory but I still think it's not set in stone... I'm guessing the trailer showed one of the worst possible outcomes. There's still the whole "story background thing" with why you're in night city, If they kept that I'm thinking it's going to influence on that too.

Noooo! I REALLY like Jackie. Didn't CDPR say that Jackie was gunna be with V for the majority of the game last year? I don't wanna believe he's dead!! :cry:

Top Bottom