Incompatibility of Savegames between Steam and Origin

+
Hey everybody,

today i bought the GOTY version of The Witcher 3 on Origin, as it was on sale.
I recently played parts of the campaign on the "vanilla" version on my steam account.
Usually, importing savegames from steam to Origin shouldn't be a problem, but the steam version is on the most recent patch (1.32), while the origin version is on patch (1.31) and the savegames are not backwards compatible.
Do you have any ideas how I could resolve that problem?

tl;dr: Savegames between Steam and Origin not compatible anymore since they are on different patches

And both games are the GOTY version?

I can't really test it myself, so I don't know if there's a way to update the origin version to 1.32. Plus, I'm not sure if, for example, TW3 updates from different stores (for example GOG) would even work with the origin version.

However, there's not going to be any changes for TW3 anytime soon and it's always a possibility that save games from one download store won't work with a the same game from a different store.

And both games are the GOTY version?

I can't really test it myself, so I don't know if there's a way to update the origin version to 1.32. Plus, I'm not sure if, for example, TW3 updates from different stores (for example GOG) would even work with the origin version.

However, there's not going to be any changes for TW3 anytime soon and it's always a possibility that save games from one download store won't work with a the same game from a different store.

Only the Origin version is GOTY. The steam version is the vanilla TW3.

I guess the only options would be if I somehow would be able to:
  • Downgrade the steam savegames from 1.32 to 1.31
  • Update my Origin Version of TW3 to 1.32

Okay, now I understand! But that's not a steam/origin issue. You can't use save games from the vanilla version of TW3 with the GOTY version. You can only use GOTY save games for the GOTY edition.

Okay, now I understand! But that's not a steam/origin issue. You can't use save games from the vanilla version of TW3 with the GOTY version. You can only use GOTY save games for the GOTY edition.
I think that's true for the console editions, not the PC editions. I, for example, have no problem loading a 3 year old save (originally from the vanilla Steam version), into the GOTY Origin version. The problem only appears when I try to load an up to date save that is on patch 1.32.

If it worked for you at some point, then yes, the only thing you can do are the two options you mentioned (downgrade to 1.31 or attempting an update to 1.32)

Top Bottom