Let's talk about Perks!

+
I do think character level 18 and 19 unlocked perks could mean that you get 2 free perk points when you start the game, and then one perk point per level.
That's a good point. Most people will have some idea of what build they want from the start and being able to jump right in would be nice.
Cred system unlocks activities in the world. More jobs to do, stores, places to visit. But I think some of those places might have some items that will give us those points.
That makes more sense to me. I just frantically adding numbers looking for a connection.

That's a good point. Most people will have some idea of what build they want from the start and being able to jump right in would be nice.

That makes more sense to me. I just frantically adding numbers looking for a connection.
Yeah you just planted a beetle in my head with that 19 unlocked perks but used 14 perk points.

I suppose it would be possible that one can convert 5 perk points into something, like an attribute point that could then be used to raise one of the stats/attributes.

The stats in the screenshot are the exact same as those of the Netrunner in the path selection screen, though -- and the Solo has the exact same number on her stats (just placed differently) so unless they've both had 5 perk points converted into an attribute point this theory makes zero sense. :D
Capture.PNG A thumbnail this time; clicking works to enlarge.

I suppose it would be possible that one can convert 5 perk points into something, like an attribute point that could then be used to raise one of the stats/attributes.

The stats in the screenshot are the exact same as those of the Netrunner in the path selection screen, though -- and the Solo has the exact same number on her stats (just placed differently) so unless they've both had 5 perk points converted into an attribute point this theory makes zero sense. :D
View attachment 11013923 A thumbnail this time; clicking works to enlarge.
Oh sadly I thought that we are starting with 25 attribute points. V in this demo is level 18 and spend 34 points into attributes which would mean they collected 9 attribute points which could mean that you get 1 attribute point per 2 levels.

But I checked the video and you are starting with 22 points so everything I said above is useless :(

what is nerve?
Since it's under Cool, I would guess it's how well V can handle pressure, and/or how good they're at handling their nerves. Could affect aim accuracy, for example.

But again, I'm just guessing based on what sounds logical. :D

So are the horizontal bars with 5 slots the perks? My fear is this will be like TW3 where most of those are incremental percentage increases and not unique abilities gained by upgrading. Overall it's a pretty streamlined looking skill tree. There's not that many different skills. This may not be a bad thing - it worked well in TW2, but that was a very short game with a character limited by lore.

My fear is this will be like TW3 where most of those are incremental percentage increases and not unique abilities gained by upgrading.
They show the first hacking perk, Hacking 1, with 2 levels in; it is described as, "Unlocks additional advanced Malware Daemons." Sounds like each perk (Hacking 1-5?) will do one distinct thing, and upgrading them further will only increase the effectiveness.
There do appear to be fewer skills (at this stage), but it's worth baring in mind that Cyberpunk probably has upgrades beyond the perk system and gives us access to multiple weapon types rather than a choice of sword or sign.

Since it's under Cool, I would guess it's how well V can handle pressure, and/or how good they're at handling their nerves. Could affect aim accuracy, for example.

hm ok thanks, and where are social skills?
Cyberpunk 2077 Tumblr
For example, one can use his points in Body to unlock unique implants, having a lot of points in Cool will improve your social relationships, a high rate in Body will make you more intimidating. As a result, the more you practice a skill, the more you will increase your skill level and the more you will be able to invest in this branch in order to take perks improving its use. The level of a skill will also have an impact in your dialogues.
:shrug:

I did say I was guessing. Tumblr... never even visited that.

Nerve could also be related to social skills... "you have some nerve" could be meant literally. :think:
And if it is, there needs to be some NPC comment or something that says just that. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

I wonder how many different nerve skill system is going to apply for. From the ones show.

I mean what you've wrote it is very true, I know I heard in the live stream something that has to do with how well you are aiming under fire and how well you are using weapons. Might the gun jammed or whatever? Don't know, because one of he devs talk about aiming is part of athletics. But athletics might sound how well you do in fights and running away holding bad guys for cover?

What bothers me is that the only skill that has very low perks for it is, intelligence. /

Sorry if this sound dumb but..

I see blades and it look like those blades that come from your arms . Right? But..does that cover Katana and such too?

Or is that under two-handed? like a big 2h sword ?

Sorry if this sound dumb but..

I see blades and it look like those blades that come from your arms . Right? But..does that cover Katana and such too?

Or is that under two-handed? like a big 2h sword ?

I would say that katanas and other one-handed melee weapons will be in the "Melee" skill, "Two-handed" will probably take care of hammers and other heavy weapons. The "Blades" skill looks like a more cyberware/non-standard weaponry skill (at least that's how I see it).

Concerning the little progression bars...
...didn't someone said in one of the interviews, that we will be able to train skills by doing skill related things? As in, increasing hacking by doing hacking or increasing handguns by using handguns. If that is the case, it would go like the following:

Attributes - Increase by attribute points
Skills - Increase by actually doing things (with the bars showing your progression)
Perks - Unlock with perk points

I am not entirely sure how to feel about it. This sounds kinda weird on paper, not very immersive. More like someone mashed together a point based system, like Baldur's Gate, with a training based system, like Elder Scrolls.
It seems quite inconsistent, like training Athletics by doing Athletics stuff works, but training Body by doing Body stuff don't (because doing Athletics in RL, would also train the body in general, right?).

...but who knows, maybe it works out. We'll see when playing the game...

From what I gather, Attribute points will be put in Reflexes, Cool, Technical, etc. and Perk points will be put in the smaller boxes branching from those. I figured that the Attribute point is the bottom number in the smaller boxes - Handguns, Rifles, Blades. But, what is the top number? And what is the bar? Handguns and Rifles are both at 3/4, and the bar is at different points. Blades is at 2/4 but it's bar is more full than the other two.

The devs have said that when you do something, you become better at doing it.

Conjecture:
The stat number signifies the maximum limit of a skill, and you develop that skill toward the maximum by using the skill. Thats why in the case of handguns and rifles, the maximum is 4 because reflexes is 4, and the actual stat is currently at 2, because that's dependant on how much you have been using the guns so far. The progress bar signifies, well, progress.

disclaimer: I haven't read the full thread

What I think:

#1) Each skill has a set number of levels, and that set number is determined by the character's stats. Each skill is governed by one of the five stats: Reflexes, Intelligence, Body, Cool, and Technical. The bar represents progress towards the next skill level.

#2) A perk slot is unlocked at every two skill levels. A stat can be no higher than 10, which means skills have a maximum of 10 levels -- which, if what I think is accurate, perfectly corresponds to the five perk slots (10/2 = 5).

Here's an edited version of your screenshot, with colour-coded highlights to point out what I mean. The circly ones are about #1, the purple quadrilaterals about #2. Intelligence and Technical only govern one skill.
View attachment 11013911
(Right-click and 'View Image' to see the full-size version.)
The bar is the XP you get when performing an action (in the demo you can see XP points in rifles obtained when V shoots with the rifle and XP in athletics when V rips the turrett off, right down corner). Once the bar is full, you get a perk point you can use in that branch and unlock (or upgrade) perks in that branch.
When levelling up (maybe every 2 levels or whatever) you get a skill point you can use to increase attributes. Attributes hard-lock perk points (as stated several times), so if you have 7 in techinical you can improve engineering up to 7 (as you can see in the screenshot).
Technical really only has one skill? That can't be it in the final game, right? Intelligence, too.
Pretty sure that'll be the case.
Yes there will be crafting, no, it doesn't appear there is a skill for it, nor are there skills for driving or social.
Pretty sure crafting is under engineering/technical.

I'm a little scared for the blades branch with the mantis blades logo, probably mantis blades are not that optional if they made a full branch for them. Also, swords are under melee and two-handed have another branch for themselves under Body. A lot of melee skills, maybe too much. Unless two-handed stands for dual weilding (I think they're not in the game even if the collector's edition figurine has V dual weilding guns, or if they're in the game they probably are the highest perk of handguns) or heavy weapons like the turret or bazooka and alike, which could make sense.

Not a big fan of shotguns under Body, but I can understand that a strong person can hold them easier, or sniper rifles under cool since you need to be ice cold. Probably reflexes influence handgun and rifles for eye-hand cohordination or whatever is called. I think this is devs' rationale.

Maybe we have two skill trees, one is for combat and one is social? Those bars could be expertise, like in Borderlands: the more you used a weapon type (like pistols with Mordechai) the better bonuses you with it - higher crit chance, better aim, faster reloads.

Top Bottom