Let's talk about Perks!

+
According to Richard Borzymowski (interview during gamescom) the Techie tree will have benefits for crafting.
So I guess that'd be Engineering.
Yeah if I had to guess I think there was at one point engineering and crafting, but the consolidated the two ... which is somewhat logical. I would have personally liked it if various crafting things was a skill spread through a few places.

Engineering, Cyberware and Gearhead (weapons & armor) part of TECH
Hacking, Neuralware (Cyberdeck and Daemon use/upgrades) and Chemistry (meds, explosives, etc) as part of INT

As I've said before, I'm somewhat glad that there are not persuasion / intimidation skills ... dice rolls in conversations are a bad mechanic and hard gates are less than ideal as well as tied to a skill. Better tied to an attribute like INT or TECH with hard-gates IMO.

I think social skills will be in the game but in a different way than usual: it was stated that your knowledge (=lifepath and skills) will influence dialogues, so a street kid is careful with placide and is ready to pull his hand off before getting hacked, an expert in sniper rifles (you use them a lot and progress in their branch) can comment on them (and MAYBE the NPC will like you more = persuasion/seduction)...

IF this works as intended, I like it.

I think social skills will be in the game but in a different way than usual: it was stated that your knowledge (=lifepath and skills) will influence dialogues, so a street kid is careful with placide and is ready to pull his hand off before getting hacked, an expert in sniper rifles (you use them a lot and progress in their branch) can comment on them (and MAYBE the NPC will like you more = persuasion/seduction)...

Lifepath affecting dialog isn't really the same as social skills at all. Lifepath dialog is just flavor. It may alter the route you take both in dialog and in the game, but ultimately it cannot affect your success. After all, you are making the choice of lifepath without context, without knowing about the game, for flavor reasons.

As for the demo, it is conceivable that the character builds shown in the demo (hacker and strong solo) were geared toward their own specialities and had low social skills, so their dialog options WERE HIDDEN in the dialog. Maybe? There was discussion at some point about hiding dialog choices that you can't take due to social skill requirement... VtM:B does this.

The dialog was also cut out due to the **** about spoilers, meaning next to no dialog being shown.

It may alter the route you take both in dialog and in the game, but ultimately it cannot affect your success.
It can, potentially.
Imagine a mission where you need to go and get a piece of hardware from a street kid. You speak with the guy and have these options (don't mind my poor skills at writing quests/dialogues):
1) give me that or you'll die
2) I'll pay for it
3) let's make a deal: I do this for you and you give me the hardware
4) street kid: yo, bro! we both come from the street. My mom's name is martha as well (!), give me that shit
5) corpo: I can give you some intel about arasaka (he doesn't care and refuses)
6) nomad: my brothers and I don't like to ask twice (he has more brothers than V and starts shooting/he's scared and accepts)

Now imagine this situation written by CDPR.

POTENTIALLY.

I'm a little scared for the blades branch with the mantis blades logo, probably mantis blades are not that optional if they made a full branch for them.
V uses a knife and blades skill is improved
Blades.jpg

4) street kid: yo, bro! we both come from the street. My mom's name is martha as well (!), give me that shit

WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME????!!!!!

G30M1

Forum regular
I have a theory for social skills. So you know most games you can make yourself ultra charming etc. to talk your way out of stuff (or into stuff...)? Well, my guess is that maybe it's under hacking instead. Maybe you don't need to charm people or do mind tricks to get your way... instead you hack them and make them agree to you.

Kinda creepy cool thinking about it.

Honestly, that is stupid, i know from where you get that but, people are still people they are not robots so you can hack them and instal charming software.
Post automatically merged:

But about perks i would like to know for melee build, do i need to raise both melee and blades, do melee perks raise dmg and effectiveness of just melee weapons like Knife, Axe, Hammer and Katanas or Mantis Blades also go under that category?

Last edited:
It can, potentially.

No. You misunderstand. The devs are on record (repeated in the last post- trailer interview too) in that how you choose your skills will never prevent you from playing through the story. Therefore the concept of success/failure is misguided. There is no success or fail in a RPG, there is only a different kind of story depending on the outcome. This is one of the core concepts of a ROLE PLAYING GAME.

It can, potentially.
Imagine a mission where you need to go and get a piece of hardware from a street kid. You speak with the guy and have these options (don't mind my poor skills at writing quests/dialogues):
1) give me that or you'll die
2) I'll pay for it
3) let's make a deal: I do this for you and you give me the hardware
5) corpo: I can give you some intel about arasaka (he doesn't care and refuses)
6) nomad: my brothers and I don't like to ask twice (he has more brothers than V and starts shooting/he's scared and accepts)

Now imagine this situation written by CDPR.

POTENTIALLY.

You're absolute right but his/her point still stands. Dialogue being influenced in this way is not nearly the same thing as having various character attributes playing into it. You can have some other background system holding influence in this area, like life paths, but it's just... not the same. The granularity and ways the player can evolve the character as they see fit doesn't tend to exist without those progression choices behind it.

Fortunately, I got a distinct vibe the life path system isn't going to be as concrete as many people think. I'm thinking along the lines of an alignment system or something like Tides in PS: Tides of Numenera, only applied to the life paths. You might be able to switch teams mid play through, so to speak. So you start out as a Nomad but through various decisions end up more toward the Street Kid or Corpo life path. Regardless, it's still not a substitute for a robust selection of social skills.

Fortunately, I got a distinct vibe the life path system isn't going to be as concrete as many people think. I'm thinking along the lines of an alignment system or something like Tides in PS: Tides of Numenera, only applied to the life paths. You might be able to switch teams mid play through, so to speak. So you start out as a Nomad but through various decisions end up more toward the Street Kid or Corpo life path. Regardless, it's still not a substitute for a robust selection of social skills.

Well as long as it is THERE. There don't need to be a lot of cool scenes and dialogs for it, as long as there are SOME.

I enjoyed the "black widow" perk in Fallout: new vegas, which allowed for some really cool scenes, such as having sex with the big bad and then killing him in his sleep.. I was devastated to find out that such interactions were completely cut away from the perk in fallout 4...

I also hope the "social skills" are there to unlock certain special interactions and dialog, similar to for example seduction, intimidation and persuasion in VtM:bloodlines. I don't think it should be about "succeeding" in something as much as it is about flavor. Sure, you can put a bullet in a bad guys head, but wouldn't it be cool to befriend him and then betray him with some kind of enviromental kill.

In fallout 4 Black Widow/Lady Killer perks grant bonus damage against members of the opposite sex, and make it easier to persuade them in dialogue.

In fallout 4 Black Widow/Lady Killer perks grant bonus damage against members of the opposite sex, and make it easier to persuade them in dialogue.

Yes, having literal zero cool scenes or dialog. You can have it or not have it, and nothing changes.

I have a theory for social skills. So you know most games you can make yourself ultra charming etc. to talk your way out of stuff (or into stuff...)? Well, my guess is that maybe it's under hacking instead. Maybe you don't need to charm people or do mind tricks to get your way... instead you hack them and make them agree to you.

Kinda creepy cool thinking about it.
I read somewhere that it might be spread around the attributes.
You got Body. If you have 10 Body you will intimidate people more successfully. You got Cool 10, you might be more chill guy, won't get provoked easily, can clearly think. Intelligence 10, you're just smart.

Don't know if I read it here somewhere or where it was but I think it makes sense and could work.

Cyberpunk 2077 Tumblr
For example, one can use his points in Body to unlock unique implants, having a lot of points in Cool will improve your social relationships, a high rate in Body will make you more intimidating. As a result, the more you practice a skill, the more you will increase your skill level and the more you will be able to invest in this branch in order to take perks improving its use. The level of a skill will also have an impact in your dialogues.

Top Bottom