SY & NR dominance

+
I installed this game just over a month ago. I was planning on putting some money into it after the new patch hit. But, at this point the fact that you really cannot play any deck but NR/SY and specific counter decks has actually caused me to uninstall the game tonight. This was a very poorly thought out move by CDPR.

But, at this point the fact that you really cannot play any deck but NR/SY and specific counter decks has actually caused me to uninstall the game tonight.

Like I have mentioned earlier in this thread: Yes, SY and NR are strong, but the other factions are by no means weak and they can still beat SY and NR. Seeing too much SY and NR can skew your perception though.

Anyhow, CDPR has mentioned they want to overhaul each faction one by one, starting with NR. And while this does lead to some temporarily power difference between factions, it would be a suicidal task to overhaul all factions at the same time.

The fact that CDPR is actively working on improving all factions is a good thing. The downside is that it can get messy during that time. With every update (usually at the end of the month), the meta will change. If you don't like it now, I suggest you check back after the patch at the end of this month.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

Guest 4368728

Sorry, this is my first post but I am very annoyed, angry even, that Northern Realms has, in my opinion, a HUGE cheat or exploit that totally ruins any fun or fairness.

The exploit is the ability to spawn six, seven, eight copies of blue stripes commando cards. This is just ridiculous. Even after a round has finished for my part, my opponent will continue to play cards until they have spawned as many of these cards as possible to instantly spawn in one hit in the next round.

It's happened more than once and so anytime I have an opponent who has a Northern realms deck, I refuse to play.

I have also spent a lot of money on this game and I will NOT pay anymore.

This needs to be changed ASAP! The game is broken because of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a little odd how many people complain about BSC considering the only thing that was modified for them is Roche. Ok, it adds a copy but all the rest was already there. I have more problems with the general state of NR, which is close to what it was before homecoming: spamming all cards that have automatic effects, and now added to big strong units.
I know the other factions are supposed to be reworked but it's still brainless play... I like the suggestion on another post suggesting that inspired get a number of boost required, kinda like bloodthirst. Otherwise it is way too easy to achieve with half of NR leaders and the number of boosting cards they have.

For DJ, the card design is just flawed, it doesn't make sense. It's like a stash of coins that get carried over from round to round. Gets higher when you play crimes, which give you coins without playing units, so you don't have to use DJ's ability then and keep the coins later.
The only way he would be fair now would be with 11 provisions, or start with 0 charge and get one per crime card. Right now he's nonsense: he runs more crimes than Cleaver, gives more coins than Gudrun, has so many much more charges than KoB... Played with damaging cards like Ewald, his ability allows more damage than Whoreson...
It has happened a lot that some leaders or cards are way too strong when they get launched, like Detlaff or Freak show, but then they get a hotfix in a week. DJ is gonna be changed that's for sure but it's taking a long time...

"having many different types of abilities, decks and combinations to play makes it interesting" is precisely why there is a rock-paper-scissors meta. Every deck has an Archilles' Heel because it would be overpowered otherwise. So, when one deck becomes popular, players are going to run counters. This is the very definition of meta and it's literally impossible to remove the rock-paper-scissors construct from the equation. The only question is how high the variance becomes because of this meta. When you look at Hearthstone, you know they have gone too far.
Ok, I get the rock-paper-scissors meta, but I cannot accept that this is aggrevated by adding unbalanced, binary and/or uninteractable nonsense like Destroy, Shield, artifacts, the current coin mechanic, Immune and playing special cards and artifacts without units.
When watching an actual race, it might be more exciting when the top is closer together. However, Gwent is not a race, but a skirmish. Have you ever watched a professional Judo match? For the viewers, nothing happens until one of the contestants loses his/her balance. Maybe it's exciting to play, but it's boring to watch. E-sports thrive on excitement and fast gameplay. Chess, for example, being the opposite of this, while it's still a strategical game (and usually a tight "race").
You made the race comparison, but it doesn't matter. Close races/matches/games are more exciting to watch and to play. Judo is only boring to watch if you don't like Judo or if one opponent completely outclasses the other (but then it will be over soon). That's how it works for everything. In Gwent, it's boring and frustrating when you get a match-up that you can insta-forfeit because your deck will get beaten by rock-paper-scissors or some other unbalanced bad stuff as mentioned above.
This is not a realistic suggestion and you fail to see the bigger picture. Borsodi is not the problem here. The issue is the hoarding of coins, most noticeable with Dijkstra.
Fully agree with this. The coin mechanic is the problem. Address the root cause, not the symptoms.

I'm so sick of nothing but removal being viable. What is the point of the shield mechanic (and armor whenever they add it) when there are a myriad of "destroy" card archetypes like Geralt, Letho, Igni, Graden, Moreelse, Scorch, etc. Imo the mechanic of "destroy" should be reworked. It makes tanking and protecting your units completely pointless as "destroy" doesnt do any damage it just takes your card off the board. Imo "destroy" should do the amount of damage equal to the target card's current power to remove it, rather than just taking your card off the board.

Hello loon. Are you finished with throne breaker yet?

Let me know if you are interested in doing some private matches in the near future.

Anyhow, CDPR has mentioned they want to overhaul each faction one by one, starting with NR. And while this does lead to some temporarily power difference between factions, it would be a suicidal task to overhaul all factions at the same time.

When someone says "overhaul" in gwent context I cringe so much I have to hold on to my innards.

When someone says "overhaul" in gwent context I cringe so much I have to hold on to my innards.

Look who's back. Speaking of innards, how does a toad clean its stomach?
The toad spits the stomach out, scrapes it clean with its legs and swallows it again. The more you know...

Top Bottom