Concerned about Balancing Cards with the New Expansion

+
So Iron Judgement has been revealed and I'm excited because I love gwent and want it to prosper and grow..

But I can't help but feel concerned, with all the balancing issues with factions and leaders right now I'm not sure introducing a new leader, a stack of new cards and new mechanics is a good idea..

Thoughts?

Well I'm happy for more mechanics for factions. Ideally you could make 3 different decks per leader.
If new cards can be included in currently used "metas" (without making them more op)... so you can play as now, or equally good, with new cards,..

Heck, what do you want.
--> if they spend 3 months to balance out current factions and then add new mechanics to them, the balance will be broken again and will have to rebalance everything again. Unless 1) you expect expansion to be perfectly balanced, 2) you expect it to be possible to balance only new cards to the level of all other cards, despite of new MECHANICS being added, which can be used by all, current cards too.
--> if they spend 3 months to add 100 cards and new mechanics which add complexity, only then it will become apparent what requires balancing, and they can do the balancing of everything at once, including new cards. Without losing 3 months.

Does anyone know if this expansion will also have a single player story campaign like the main game did, or is this just multiplayer stuff? I never had any interest in Gwent for multiplayer, just for the great story, so I'm curious if this will also have it.

Does anyone know if this expansion will also have a single player story campaign like the main game did, or is this just multiplayer stuff? I never had any interest in Gwent for multiplayer, just for the great story, so I'm curious if this will also have it.

Don't think it will, new expansions are solely additions for the multiplayer version of Gwent.

Unfortunately I can't say there will be anymore single player Gwent games like Thronebreaker because apparently it didn't sell as much as CDPR were hoping.

Which is a shame because I deeply enjoyed Thronebreaker and have recently started another play through.

Don't think it will, new expansions are solely additions for the multiplayer version of Gwent.

Unfortunately I can't say there will be anymore single player Gwent games like Thronebreaker because apparently it didn't sell as much as CDPR were hoping.

Which is a shame because I deeply enjoyed Thronebreaker and have recently started another play through.

The story telling in Throne breaker was solid and interesting. Other than that I expected more.

Had cdpr released Thronebreaker first it would have eased the shock of homecoming and we all would have understood the change a bit better. Launching as it did many people who were going to buy Thronebreaker passed. I was one for a long time, it was one of my most anticipated games but I was so pissed about hc that I didn't care. I did eventually buy it and it was alot of fun, easy but fun. I think the hundred thousand or so gwent players left who were it's audience, making sales not worth the work.

The story telling in Throne breaker was solid and interesting. Other than that I expected more.

Thronebreaker is great, recently speed myself through the campaign on easiest difficulty, in order to get the rest of achievements. Pretty neat, didnt get bored during 12 hours of the (continious) replay. Defenetly 10x better than any Hearthstone story-mode. I would probably dedicate more time to Thronebreaker, if the reward system was more connected towards Gwent, and represented a challenge. Other than that, i'm amazed how great a game Thronebreaker is, despite its short production time.

Would love to hear the story of Radovids adventure in Africa.

To continue from the title: I find myself just avoiding to play after they did the announcement of the new expansion, that will shake this already shaken, re-shaken and pre-shaken game. I don't find ANY sense in trying to play something that will get changed like that every month or couple of months, while fine tuning and balance of already existing stuff is needed BADLY, when entire factions are crippled to play decks A and (maybe) B, so they can be T2 competitive with the overtuned stuff that is all over the place out there. It sucks any pleasure of playing this game. Even watching streams is hard as I get irritated by seeing the same stuff over and over and over again (plus the amount of Control that still destroys 80+ percents of any clever combo you could've come up with).

Simple question for an obvious problem: would it be that hard to just tune Francesca with couple provisions when it was beyond obvious in day two that she is absolutely broken this season (Tear Zero)? Would it hurt the Challenger Tournament so much if you did just that? If so, why you never did this after said Challenger - I'm quite sure no one would complain.

Is it only me?

Simple question for an obvious problem: would it be that hard to just tune Francesca with couple provisions when it was beyond obvious in day two that she is absolutely broken this season (Tear Zero)? Would it hurt the Challenger Tournament so much if you did just that? If so, why you never did this after said Challenger - I'm quite sure no one would complain.

Is it only me?

The reason they dont balance it is because players are still awarded by some qualification points, by being on top of the ladder, which means some will have an unfair advantage if a said deck gets nerfed. Other considerations are that we previously observed some players (probably new) getting annoyed by the frequent patches, as their decks become less competitive or unplayable. However if the balance is done right, no one gets to complain.
As most people dont have any ambition in participating in a tournament, with enough support for a mid-month balance patch, we can get balance changes rolled out a bit faster. I like the idea.

Same, I deeply enjoyed it and to this day it is the only game I have 100% achievements in.

Honestly I found the gameplay quite immersive.
Expecting it to be quite balanced with all different paths for all different opponent's is not really doable.

[...]
Even watching streams is hard as I get irritated by seeing the same stuff over and over and over again (plus the amount of Control that still destroys 80+ percents of any clever combo you could've come up with).

Is it only me?
Cleaver is only good because he allows immediate combos (e.g. putting a bounty and immediately collecting it), unless I missed somthing.

Francesca would still be busted with less provisions and even with -3 provisions or something like that would have been tier 0.5.

Expecting it to be quite balanced with all different paths for all different opponent's is not really doable.

I found it to be shallow, boring, and to top it al off it was buggy as well. I was trying to play the game on the hardest difficulty which made it basically unplayable because the AI would take FOREVER to make a move. Playing real humans is much faster than this AI. To make the gameplay even slower for some reason any animation on the screen made the game chug so the combination of the chugging and the slow AI was just torture (This is on xbox and was happening recently so I don't know why the devs couldn't fix this by now). I'm not as disappointed as I could be since I didn't like the gameplay anyway. It was just a bunch of extremely over powered abilities thrown together.

What I was even more disappointed with was the puzzles. CDPR put out some fantastic and fun puzzles with their past events like the Saovine event. I loved figuring them out and I loved the challenge of the higher difficulty. So I was really wanting more of that with Thronebreaker only to find that the "puzzles" were extremely lame the vast majority of the time. One of the last of these I remember was near the end of the game where the puzzle was literally just a childs game of memory. Flip cards to them match and remove from the board, remember their place if they don't match....wow.

I found it to be shallow, boring, and to top it al off it was buggy as well. I was trying to play the game on the hardest difficulty which made it basically unplayable because the AI would take FOREVER to make a move. Playing real humans is much faster than this AI. To make the gameplay even slower for some reason any animation on the screen made the game chug so the combination of the chugging and the slow AI was just torture (This is on xbox and was happening recently so I don't know why the devs couldn't fix this by now). I'm not as disappointed as I could be since I didn't like the gameplay anyway. It was just a bunch of extremely over powered abilities thrown together.

What I was even more disappointed with was the puzzles. CDPR put out some fantastic and fun puzzles with their past events like the Saovine event. I loved figuring them out and I loved the challenge of the higher difficulty. So I was really wanting more of that with Thronebreaker only to find that the "puzzles" were extremely lame the vast majority of the time. One of the last of these I remember was near the end of the game where the puzzle was literally just a childs game of memory. Flip cards to them match and remove from the board, remember their place if they don't match....wow.
To be fair (on PC) I did not encounter the problems you mentioned.
Yes, I also found the majority of the puzzles boring or out of place.
Of course the cards would have "overpowered" effects (in quotation marks, because overpowered is relative, if everthing is overpowered nothing is overpowered), the fun was to adapt (take the Nilfgaardian Knight as an example, losing 25% of its power, whenever an ally gets destroyed) and given the inferiority of the AI to a real person that was/is necessary to have the games be even remotely difficult.

To be fair (on PC) I did not encounter the problems you mentioned.
Yes, I also found the majority of the puzzles boring or out of place.
Of course the cards would have "overpowered" effects (in quotation marks, because overpowered is relative, if everthing is overpowered nothing is overpowered), the fun was to adapt (take the Nilfgaardian Knight as an example, losing 25% of its power, whenever an ally gets destroyed) and given the inferiority of the AI to a real person that was/is necessary to have the games be even remotely difficult.
It just wasn't interesting enough for me. Like setting the enemies row on fire was such an OP and brain dead play.

The reason they dont balance it is because players are still awarded by some qualification points, by being on top of the ladder, which means some will have an unfair advantage if a said deck gets nerfed. Other considerations are that we previously observed some players (probably new) getting annoyed by the frequent patches, as their decks become less competitive or unplayable. However if the balance is done right, no one gets to complain.
As most people dont have any ambition in participating in a tournament, with enough support for a mid-month balance patch, we can get balance changes rolled out a bit faster. I like the idea.
I know all of that, I still think two days won't make any difference right after a patch.

Top Bottom