What happened to Homecoming?

+
Please move this thread to general section! I play from the beta but I post in the forum only if it matters and don't like spamming so I still can't post anywhere else than technical.

In this thread I would like to review the ideas of Homecoming and what happened to them since then.

1 year ago the developing team realized something is not working with the game. I think they are a team always want to improve but the main reason had to be the loss of players. Lots of players just stopped playing.

The solution was a real revolution. The players had to wait for a long period of time until it's finalized but it was a group of ideas materialized in the game to save it.

Let's review these ideas:

Turning GWENT into a battlefield

and

Upgrading the board
Problem to solve: Rows didn't have impact on gameplay. - After a year rows still don't have an impact they should have. Wheather cards lost importance. Less and less new cards are row bind and lost the mechanic of target range. You have the ability to use moving cards but with the current power creep you will lost on card value.

Fixing the coin mechanic
Problem to solve: card advantage, last say. - With the current power creep the 5 point advantage at start versus last say is not enough. Remember when you could win the game by stealing your enemies card advantage card or resurrect it from the graveyars? Those times are over... back.

Revamping player progression
Problem to solve: pulling in new and returning players. - Casual mode is for pro players, there are no single player options anymore other than the 1 and only practice opponent. Arena is time consuming and require resource or money that leaves the only option after the tutorial for a new or returning player is ranked mode. Which is still too competitive. If you lose too much you will not enjoy the game. You need to rely on netdecks because they are too powerful to beat with exporing anything else. Even on the higher ranks. (Higher ranks mean lower ranks). Remember the hatred we felt for Ciri? In the end we all had to use it because it was too powerful.

Focusing on skill and player agency
Problem to solve: RNG. - Create mechanic is still in the game and with the thining of tutor cards RNG is more of a problem than ever. Except Skellige who can just resurrect their killed cards and play them again.

Another idea was to keep cards value low. You completly revamped the cards to achieve this but now more and more cards appear with 12 value and with the ability of growing more with conditions.

More serious problems: Players now have the ability to prevent their opponent to use a card completly by banishing it or kill from hand. Syndicates core mechanic is the ability to stack charges without commiting units. Both of these ideas were dropped with homecoming and reintroduced since then.

My question is what happened to Homecoming ideas and is it possible to making the same mistakes again will result the same - loosing players?
Please keep the discussion in a civil manner!

- I'm cool with rows as long as they keep putting in abilities like formation. Maybe a new one where on one row you get armor and on the other row you get vitality.

-I'm not sure where you stand on card advantage. Are you saying person who plays first has the advantage or the person who goes second? I really don't have a problem with this anymore. Depending on the deck sometimes I am happy to be first or second.

-They do need to work on player progression. We need some kind of single player that is enjoyable. There should be a mode for new players so that they can really learn without getting destroyed or having to be competitive.

-RNG isn't horrible but it can easily get out of hand. I was shocked that they put some much in with homecoming, took it out, and still sometimes add new RNG cards.

the thing of homecoming and rows was just pr stuff , imagine 3 rows on mobile, there is no way that was going to work

the thing of homecoming and rows was just pr stuff , imagine 3 rows on mobile, there is no way that was going to work

Hearthstone suffered from the mobile version too. When the first 'coop' mode came, they said that 2v2 was not possible because it wouldn't fit on a mobile screen. Seems like Gwent is not heading the same direction.

Top Bottom