Districts of Night City! Which district would you like to see next?

+
So far, we've only been shown Watson, and a very seemingly (hopefully) limited amount of Pacifica.

Which district would you like to see next and in what kind of atmosphere? How do you think each district might look or pull inspiration from?

Here's the list of districts and they're brief, official, description:

City Center: Night City's biggest pride, this is the heart of corporations, the cluster of neon, and the quintessence of luxury.
Watson: A unique mix of Asian cultures, it is a fallen corporate giant now populated by immigrants, hiding various bazaars and markets in a tangle of narrow alleyways.

Watson: A unique mix of Asian cultures, it is a fallen corporate giant now populated by immigrants, hiding various bazaars and markets in a tangle of narrow alleyways.

Westbrook: Featuring tourist-oriented Japantown, it is a place for the wealthy who like to work hard and play hard.

Heywood: Living in one of the neighborhoods of the predominantly Latino area means you successfully managed to climb the social ladder -- it's a massive suburban housing district, with an underlying gang problem.

Pacifica: On the other end of the spectrum, this is the most dangerous part of town, abandoned and overrun by gang activity. Separated from the rest of the city, it's a place of immense poverty.

Santo Domingo: All of Night City is powered from here, with its countless power plants and industrial factories, stuck in an endless cycle of modernization.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing Westbrook and Santo Domingo the most.

I'd want to see Westbrook at night while it's raining. Especially since all of our previews have been bright and during the day. I feel like this will be the area that attains the classic Cyberpunk neon noodle eating in the rain type vibe the best.

Santo Domingo I feel will be the area that is most heavily Blade Runner influenced. I would loveeee for an area directly inspired by Blade Runner so I could live out that fantasy of being a part of those movies. Definitely a more grey, overcast or night time playthrough would be best for this one as well.

Also we have the posters acknowledging the different art and lifestyles we'll be seeing in Cyberpunk.
(Excuse the links. I'm unable to save the images and upload as I'm at work right now)

Kitsch:
https://assets.vg247.com/current/2019/08/cyberpunk-kitsch.jpg

Neo-Kitsch:
https://assets.vg247.com/current/2019/08/cyberpunk-neokitsch.jpg

Neo Militarism:
https://assets.vg247.com/current/2019/08/cyberpunk-neomilitarism.jpg

Entropism:
https://assets.vg247.com/current/2019/08/cyberpunk-entropism.jpg

I feel like Neo-Kitsch is definitely going to be the City Center according to both of their descriptions, which is very exciting.

Kitsch will definitely probably be more Westbrook and maybe Watson.

Entropism definitely sounds more like Pacifica and Heywood.

The Neo Militarism I feel might be sprinkled into each area that has heavy corpo presence. That, and Santo Domingo.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this and what they're looking for out of the level design and environments.

I'm most interested in seeing Watson, City Center and the Badlands personally. Watson mostly because we've seen it and it looks cool, City Center because it gives me 2020 nostalgia feels, and the Badlands because I think it'll be cool to see what CDPR does with the areas that are VERY different from Night City itself.

I want to see at least the skyline for CIty Center in a clear and unambiguous way. What we've seen so far is widely believed to be Watson, and there's a lot of evidence pointing to the skyline from the 2019 trailer being Watson as well.

I want to see City Center's height, scope, and aesthetic. Aside from that, Heywood -- I want to see what CDPR's definition of Suburbia is. Is it actual suburbs as we know them now, but more high-tech? That's what they were in 2020, but with 50 years of explosions and re-building, I'm curious to see what they have in mind.

I want to see at least the skyline for CIty Center in a clear and unambiguous way. What we've seen so far is widely believed to be Watson, and there's a lot of evidence pointing to the skyline from the 2019 trailer being Watson as well.

Just registered here to add my 3 cents - I read the "Sheer scale of Night City" thread and there doesn't seem to be much evidence for that aside from a single line of dialogue from the 48 minute gameplay video that vaguely gives you a sense of the directions. So I wouldn't be so sure about that. The other anon's point of view seemed more consistent. And I don't think there's much sense in a single district occupying both sides of the river

Just registered here to add my 3 cents - I read the "Sheer scale of Night City" thread and there doesn't seem to be much evidence for that aside from a single line of dialogue from the 48 minute gameplay video that vaguely gives you a sense of the directions. So I wouldn't be so sure about that. The other anon's point of view seemed more consistent. And I don't think there's much sense in a single district occupying both sides of the river

Well, the 2019 skyline is the same as the one we see in the 2018 demo. And Watson is pretty dang big and dense by itself, too. So I think it's Watson (EDIT: Or Heywood).

Also, we do have a compass and other information to take advantage of.

Well, the 2019 skyline is the same as the one we see in the 2018 demo. And Watson is pretty dang big and dense by itself, too. So I think it's Watson (EDIT: Or Heywood).

Also, we do have a compass and other information to take advantage of.

Yeah but there was just so much evidence the other anon pointed out, in favor of his vision. Also I think a tall luxurious skyline fits a "rich touristy Japantown district for the wealthy" much more than a "now-abandoned old industrial district."

Yeah but there was just so much evidence the other anon pointed out, in favor of his vision. Also I think a tall luxurious skyline fits a "rich touristy Japantown district for the wealthy" much more than a "now-abandoned old industrial district."
Watson is not an industrial district.

"Watson: A unique mix of Asian cultures, it is a fallen corporate giant now populated by immigrants, hiding various bazaars and markets in a tangle of narrow alleyways."

Seems to fit just fine to me. The buildings in Watson, especially when V exits her apartment, are bloody huge and it's a super-dense district. But I expect much more from City Center.

EDIT: Alsos, let's not de-rail the topic too much. The mods have been more... excitable lately.

Last edited:
Watson is not an industrial district..
Listen closely to the narrator when you watch the 48 minute gameplay next time. He says that Watson is a former industrial district, very clearly.

Also the buildings next to V's megablock aren't very huge either. Look at the whole area in the 2018 E3 trailer. You'll see they aren't very tall.

But again, this whole discussion is pointless as there's basically no evidence and a single vague clue hinting that the skyline might be in Watson. Nothing else so far. So there's no point in arguing or defending the concept. I'll just stick with the concept that has more arguments behind it.

cheers

Listen closely to the narrator when you watch the 48 minute gameplay next time. He says that Watson is a former industrial district, very clearly.

Also the buildings next to V's megablock aren't very huge either. Look at the whole area in the 2018 E3 trailer. You'll see they aren't very tall.

But again, this whole discussion is pointless as there's basically no evidence and a single vague clue hinting that the skyline might be in Watson. Nothing else so far. So there's no point in arguing or defending the concept. I'll just stick with the concept that has more arguments behind it.

cheers
Fair enough!

Bablands, I want to see the remote areas where shady people live even by city standards.

I'd like to see them all o_O it's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most.

In order from the most I'm eager to see to the, uh, less most:

1. City Center. The cherry on top of the neon, ultracapitalist cake with a brutalistic twist. Plus, some exciting corners for night life. Might look like something out of a darker version of Mirror's Edge Catalyst, perhaps?
  2. Westbrook. Like a fragment of Tokyo in California with a bit of Beverly Hills and some suburbs, maybe. Kampai!
  3. The Badlands. A Mojave Wasteland lookalike in the Cyberpunk setting, probably. A little more expansive? A little more desolate? No idea yet.
  4. The rest of Pacifica. I want to see what happened to places like Playland By The Sea and the old arcology, if they're still there. Plus, is Rancho Coronado part of this district now, or part of Santo Domingo?
  5. The rest of Watson. We've seen a lot of it but, at the same time, so little. For instance, what's the Arasaka Waterfront like? The district so far gives me some Blade Runner + Ghost in the Shell vibes with a bit of Cowboy Bebop.
  6. Heywood. A middle ground between City Center's overdevelopment and Santo Domingo's underdevelopment, I guess. Commercial zones, surburbs, some slums perhaps.
  7. Santo Domingo. Factories, poverty, more factories, some ruins. A "gateway drug" of sorts to the Badlands.

Cool thread!

1. I can't wait to see the City Centre - especially at night. All those towering skyscrapers, forming a claustrophobic concrete jungle, colored in neon... man, I think I'll spend hours searching for some high balconies or something to take the vista in.
2. The Badlands. I wonder what feeling I'll get when first riding through the wasteland... also, seeing NC from far away - a cluster of light in the middle of nightly nothingness - yes, please!
3. (The rest of) Watson/Westbrook. This one's hard. On one hand, 2018 Watson was perfect with it's tight alleys, so I can't wait to walk all of them. Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell vibes. But reading about the japanese touch on Westbrook, it has me interested as well!
4. Pacifica. It is just so bad ass.
5. The suburban Heywood seems interesting, especially if it has some tech mingled with 'ordinary' housing.
6. Santo Domingo is the only one I'm not so interested in. But that is only because of how I imagine it - I'm sure CDPR will make it awesome!

BONUS: I am also excited about that big scrapyard that V wakes up in the 2019 trailer and meets Silverhand for the (presumably) first time. 'Wake the f* up Samurai' - don't mind if I do, and let me cruise around the trashyard for a while, looks epic!

Top Bottom