Weekly Poll - 10/4/2019 - Story Themes

+

What themes/ideas are you most interested in Cyberpunk's story exploring?

• Total voters
So while of course we probably wont know a ton of specifics about the story of Cyberpunk until we have the game on our screens at home, I thought it would be interesting to have a discussion on what themes/ideas we most want Cyberpunk 2077 to explore. As usual, limited to three responses in the poll. Please keep in mind that while discussing some of the themes of the game may involve societal/worldview issues, the rules ask users to keep in-real-life politics out of the forums. Thanks!

I'd say, every one of them bit by bit. As I can't check every options, I just checked my top 3 but it doesn't mean a lot.

Also, my foreigner brain trying to understand the 3rd option :

I'm most interested in that "gangster movie" feel, I have to say.

And I like science-fiction the best when it's still very close to our own world and issues. I much prefer Cyberpunk or Post-apocalyptic, as opposed to heroic fantasy or space opera, for example.

Finally, I like "slice of life" stories the most

So While it's not something that is unique to Cyberpunk, I still voted for 7 and 9, Ambition stories with social commentary about Classes and Poverty is what I like most about this game. Something that is still very rooted in our own world and that is central to the characters lives instead of an epic quest for something.

Sild

Ex-moderator
1, 2 and a personal favorite of mine: Night City. For a cyberpunk story, needs a Megacity, be it Mega City One (Judge Dredd), The Sprawl (Neuromancer) or San Angeles (Blade Runner), the city is more than a place, it's a principal player and a main character.

Very tough to limit it to three, but 4, 5, and 7.

What's the "cost" of success?

Indeed who are will in some ways impact on how you’ll become who you’ll become.

A seldomly used theme than ”transhumanism”, fighting the power, etc. Sounds fresher.

What does it ”cost” to ”save yourself?

I was tempted to vote for 1 because I think the story should indeed be V’s personal story, but I’m not really keen on the idea of ”learning” about him/her. S/he’s a nobody and I’d rather see what I can do about it that than learn what someone else thought s/he is.

Same about 4... But I’d not care about the prospects of ”impacting the world”. Indiviuals along my path, yes; V himself, yes. But no worldshattering events and actions here, thanks.

Also 10. Religion (they’ve mentioned such is in already in some length). It’s an interesting philosophical prospect to ponder what place does religion have anymore in such an advanced world; is the time of fairytales and mysticism helplessy over, and how do people of faith still manage to justify their beliefs when people are no longer the ”image of god” and the world has generally moved past that, do new ”gods” replace the old ones like in history and what’s their function and purpose in the world...

Last edited:
Same about 4... But I’d not care about the prospects of ”impacting the world”. Indiviuals along my path, yes; V himself, yes. But no worldshattering events and actions here, thanks.
Yeah impacting the world does not mean huge earth shattering events necessarily. Just how V impacts her surroundings. Gotta remember there's a character limit on poll options.

I was tempted to vote for 1 because I think the story should indeed be V’s personal story, but I’m not really keen on the idea of ”learning” about him/her. S/he’s a nobody and I’d rather see what I can do about it that than learn what someone else thought s/he is.

Re-worded one to better reflect meaning.

That is some damm good poll.

And it reminded me that i have questions about the end of the game. After where done, beat the last big challenge in the game, what then?

i personly would pray to rngesus & the chill little red bird for an epiloge like you got from the old fallout games - where good protion of your deeds and there consequenses will be nicely narrated. that be great. would be all for it.

It would a shitton of more work so i really do not expect to get it.

But i can dream ^^

All, if possible :LOL: But, since only three can be picked, my choices are 5, 7, and 9. I’m interested in seeing how they approach transhumanism and class struggle in a society that barely survived several political, economical and technological collapses.

Good poll!

I just hope the game won't try to teach any moral. If I want to role-play as a greedy son of a bitch, I don't want the game to tell me it's not ok. I don't want it to tell me that's a huge drawback for that. If devs decided to put option 7 in the game, I don't want to see the typical clichè of V ending up alone with no friends to fullfill her/his greed, we've already seen it billions of times AND that's not how real life works. I'd prefer to see V fail in pursuing that no matter what than a moral teaching.

I loved the bloody baron quest exactly because the game was not telling you who was wrong in that story and I expect the same in CP2077, actually even more: I want to choose between telling the baron he was right at beating that bitch or punch/kill him for doing that or even be totally neutral.

In general, I'd like to see all the options in the poll, but not treated with the usual clichè/moral.

1, 4, and 6. 6 being an option I instantly picked when I saw it.

The other things I don't really care about, hence 1 and 4. Both are kinda big things when it comes to RPGs that have impactful choices, and always at least somewhat interesting.

Another great poll with to many great options to pick from , damn you Rawls * shakes fist at the monitor * ;)

I voted for 1, 3 and 4

1 I look forward to seeing how my V is impacted by things i do and things done to him / her / NC .

3 The lifepath intrigues me , although different lines in convos is good i want to see more than that like relationships with NPC`s . Old enemies / friends of your lifepath choice reacting differently to you .

4 I want to see consequences for thing that i do . Here is a mission to kick orphans out of a building that they are squatting in but later you find out by not kicking them out they turn out to be assassins that kill someone V knows . :eek:

All are very good but went for 2, 8 and 9. Hell, I could throw a few more if I wanted. Finger crossed this game has rich lore.

1 - More than anything I’m looking forward to knowing all of V's endings. V starts as a no-name, but the point is that s/he becomes something and I'd like to know the outcome.
4 - I want to know how choices — like sparing your enemies, etc. — contribute to V's development and endings.
5 - Curious about exactly how someone views the world as a cyber psycho, but also the other extreme; a superhuman who fits the full description of transhumanism.

Making people pick 3 options makes total sense since he's asking what stands out to you most. I don't have an equal amount of interest in every cyberpunk theme "the most". What would that even mean?

Last edited:
I chose 1, 2, 4.
The choices 6, 7, 8, 9 seemed like topics that will be touched upon during V's journey. I don't think they should take a direct spotlight, more like they should be shown as part of the world seen through V's eyes, same with 3.

Transhumanism is an important topic, but I, for myself, i am not very interested in it. I guess you could call me a purist in that vein.

Top Bottom