Fill me in?

+
So it's been a while, what have I missed. Specifically someone said they scaled the map back and it"s now smaller than originally proposed? They also said that the previously mentioned areas outside the city were no longer going to be included, so no wastelands? Is there any truth to the rumours that nudity and sex will be censored on platforms?

I assume scaling hit points are still there, the enemies are still bullet sponges, boss battles are still a thing, fps hand to hand is still bland, and there are still clothes that make guns do more damage...

Have there been any reveals regarding came mechanics that I should be excited about?

Sild

Ex-moderator
Specifically someone said they scaled the map back and it"s now smaller than originally proposed? They also said that the previously mentioned areas outside the city were no longer going to be included, so no wastelands?

Afaik, the map is as big as it ever was. Meaning the wasteland (badlands) are very much in. No concrete info on map size though. There was this article: https://www.gamesradar.com/cyberpunk-2077-map-size/, but, honestly, imagine a city sprawling the whole (or three quarters) of the map of The Witcher 3... don't think it's doable in current gen.

Is there any truth to the rumours that nudity and sex will be censored on platforms?

No idea, maybe someone else can help you out with this one. I will say that, if you're playing on PC, you have nothing to worry about.
Have there been any reveals regarding came mechanics that I should be excited about?

There's plenty to be excited about. :cool:

I assume scaling hit points are still there, the enemies are still bullet sponges, boss battles are still a thing, fps hand to hand is still bland, and there are still clothes that make guns do more damage...
Apparently, yes. But they refuse to comment on this as usual. Don't expect to have any info on these regards prior to reviews. Same for censorship (ps4 player, a little scared), but I don't think frontal nudity will be in the game at all on any platform, just my assumption. The last AAA game where you could see a penis is GTA IV L&D (and just trevor's balls in GTA V), for vaginas I don't remember any game in almost 30 years of gaming. Also, CP77 character creation went for pixellated body parts to underwear, so...

I really had fears hacking would involve QTEs because it was said that your "level" of success would influence the amount of information/over-ride control you had. But that doesn't appear to be the case. Currently it seems to me a fairly bland mini-game without any sort of timer.

We've also gotten a look at the skill sets. One for each attribute, and apparently limited by the value of that attribute. Skills themselves are combat related, more combat related, yet more combat related, hacking, more combat related, repair/bot operation, and more combat related. Hummmm ... might be a trend here ... Skills don't so much limit/permit you to do things but give bonuses to what you do (I'd call them perks rather then skills).

Last edited:
Afaik, the map is as big as it ever was.
but, honestly, imagine a city sprawling the whole (or three quarters) of the map of The Witcher 3... don't think it's doable in current gen.

Whoah, whoah, whoah! Hold your horses there mister! You mean to say that a city the size of the map of Witcher 3 is not doable at all? Or by current gen you mean it’s not possible on current gen consoles?

Only one conclusion comes to mind in this case i.e. inferior technology again holding back progress and the scope of art.

Seriously though even if one continuous map the size of Witcher 3 is not doable then 6 districts connected via loading screens just like Novigrad/No man’s land, White Orchard and Skellige were can definitely be pulled off.

Sild

Ex-moderator
You mean to say that a city the size of the map of Witcher 3 is not doable at all? Or by current gen you mean it’s not possible on current gen consoles?

Gen is mostly related to consoles. PC's are not restricted to generational configurations, since it's a modular platform.
Only one conclusion comes to mind in this case i.e. inferior technology again holding back progress and the scope of art.

It is what it is. Good art will stand out, that's the beauty of it, it's not beholden to technology, rather to creativity. But i see your point.

Gen is mostly related to consoles. PC's are not restricted to generational configurations, since it's a modular platform.

I know that. It was a somewhat provocative question;)

Good art will stand out, that's the beauty of it, it's not beholden to technology, rather to creativity.

I disagree. In some cases it is beholden to technology. Compare Rodriguez’s El Mariachi and Desperado. The former is a sort of a showcase, a demo with low budget and scope while the latter having no budget constraints is a much better film which most people remember (as opposed to the minority of film geeks).

Which is why some directors refuse to make some tech intensive movies and wait for the technology to catch up with their vision (Avatar for example).

Anyway even inferior consoles can handle 6 districts being distributed across 6 separate loading zones akin to TW3 regions.

Madae

Forum veteran
Hasn't been any update on the nudity since it was initially said it will be there. Even if it were the case and CDPR caved for some reason, modders will almost certainly fix that problem, so they may as well do it right the first time round... at least for the PC crowd. I suppose it's the risk you take if you decide to go console, since Sony and Microsoft have more say over what can and can't be there, especially since it has a tendency to be the preferred choice of platform for the younger crowd. I would hope they stay true to what they said from the beginning, but I'm not particularly worried as a PC player.

Not to be the pedantic That Guy, but I am so anyways, it is pretty common to refer to the "current gen" in relation to PC. The term is a bit more broad because it involves multiple different categories of part, multiple companies making each part type and even those companies may have multiple lines of that part within the current gen. Additionally the PC itself isn't constrained to any given gen as you can have an outdated GPU bud a current SSD, so it is a little messy and amalgamized, but as a loose term it has valid semantic & common-use meaning in relation to PCs.

You may not like current used rpg system. It has some sensible tweaks but overall looks more gamey than standard skillset systems. I sure didn't.
Other than that, I don't remember in two demo showcases (2019 closed one and 2018 one) clothes that boosts things other than damage resistance.
Sheer size and scale is not going anywhere AFAIK, that's just rumors and misinterpretations. [Edited -- SigilFey. (Stay wide of the politics, please.)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheer size and scale is not going anywhere AFAIK, that's just rumors and misinterpretations.

I heard somewhere sometime ago that while it was initially bigger than Witcher 3 it is now a tad smaller.

Not claiming facts, though, just a comment I read about something CDPR representative said.

I heard somewhere sometime ago that while it was initially bigger than Witcher 3 it is now a tad smaller.

Not claiming facts, though, just a comment I read about something CDPR representative said.
I remember those interviews. It was said that the game will be bigger than Witcher 3 if we measure in km^3, because of verticality being a thing in a big city.
It's a tad smaller than the whole Witcher 3s sum of velen, skellige and novigrad km^2. Of which the first two are separated by a loading screen. I also read about wastelands still being a thing but nothing on wastelands being cut.

I’m personally OK with that as the Witcher 3 map was like 40% filler consisting of copy-pasted SpeedTree generated forests.

I’d rather have the game world be a bit smaller but denser and containing more unique landmarks, NPCs etc.

I’m personally OK with that as the Witcher 3 map was like 40% filler consisting of copy-pasted SpeedTree generated forests.

I’d rather have the game world be a bit smaller but denser and containing more unique landmarks, NPCs etc.

I agree in principle, but i’m not sure if the comparison is entirely valid here.
You know how buildings take a ton of space in a city (95% of which are just stage decoration) and on top of that moving is triply if not quadruply faster. It’s a bit of a different situation.

Last edited:
Yeah, the vertical dimension and a car for distance travel make HUGE difference in how big a place seems. Note "seems", the actual amount of square meters is really nothing more then a semi-interesting but relatively immaterial number.

Top Bottom