Gwent became too "snowbally"

+
Looking at my ranked games these season i noticed that a considerable amount of them (25-30%) end up only in 2 rounds, this is a huge increase from previous seasons.

Personally i think this is mainly due to a combination of strong engines + defenders + 2 cards in one round leaders. I mainly played Nilfgaard and i noticed that even if i drop a Hefty Helga and it's not answered right away, i win the game. But it's not only winning, it's crushing, the rounds usually ends like 30-0 score wise, despite being a card down. In NR v NR matches i noticed that usually the first who can establish a board again wins by a large margin, the one playing from behind will have every single unit instantly destroyed. This might be the reason the meta shifted to hyper control.

Regardless i think the game, too early in the round, it creates no-win scenarios for one of the players. And this is pretty obvious for both players, the act of playing the game becomes a formality. Personally i recommend a limitation to the amount of damage engines and do in a single turn.

I already warned about this last year. Except now, it's not just the strong finisher you need to worry about, but also a strong opening (e.g. quadruple Dwarfs in round 2). Ironically, this has made the situation more... *diverse*. However, the "snowball effect" is still there.

For me, i never seen this as a problem before, probably because it felt as a very abrupt change from last season.

Because engines play a more dominant role now. If they go unchecked, you might not be able to overcome their strength. So, instead of "investing" points into the later round(s) or the endgame, you smack them down immediately, which is actually truer to the concept of the "snowball effect".

Incidentally, because engines have become more pivotal, longer rounds also have become more favorable, as a direct result, leading to potentially even bigger snowballs.

Decreasing card power at the start of HC was a huge mistake, and now we have to reap the benefits of this decision.

For me, as a new player, meeting a human/dwarf deck with "do 1 dmg / charge" its just not fun. Slap up 3 of them and defend and your unstoppable. Was doing fine with my Monster deck but really just ran into a wall.

Was doing fine with my Monster deck but really just ran into a wall.

The TL;DR is: don't ever pass, take round one and bleed them in round two. Even if you have to go down a card, make sure that they have used their leader ability.

I'm a new player so note that my opinion might be influenced by the usual "new shiny toy" phenomena. Meaning, I don't know enough to be unhappy about anything.

Right, having said that, here is what I did notice over the last couple of days since my journey began. People love engines. A lot. Some are easier to deal with than others. I now always try to have a removal option or two available for just such cases. In case this fails I have found that bleeding them dry on round one and then passing (with card advantage if possible) makes life easier in round 2 and 3. As I'm new and the tutorial and many new player guides have suggested playing a tall monster deck, that is what I'm doing. So it's quite easy to put points on the board in later rounds with "Force of nature" ability and the summon from graveyard cards. If all they have is a damage over time engine and they burn through that in round 1 then eh, I got options.

Now, if I can figure out how to deal with Geralt of Rivia I would be happy. That card seems to find its way into a lot of decks! 😜

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Now, if I can figure out how to deal with Geralt of Rivia I would be happy. That card seems to find its way into a lot of decks! 😜

It's a starter cards, which is why new players usually run it. Once you climb up, the card quickly falls off. Regardless, there are popular decks that still run other tall removal. The counter is having last say or to try to bait out the removal by playing a lesser card.

It's a starter cards, which is why new players usually run it. Once you climb up, the card quickly falls off. Regardless, there are popular decks that still run other tall removal. The counter is having last say or to try to bait out the removal by playing a lesser card.

Yup, that's what I often do. It's a bit easier if I get to go first in round 1 because then I can drop a 5 or 6 point card and use the advantage card to boost it and see if my opponent bites. Werewolf + Force of nature is also viable if I need a tall card I can't afford to lose. I'll be stuck on monsters for a while so I guess I'll pick up the nuances over time.

First, engines were nowhere to be seen as they were too weak and players complained about too much removal. Then the devs reduced the amount of removal, giving engines a chance. Now with the last expansion, crappy Defenders got added, engines got further buffed and they even use Armor, making them too strong in multiple cases, snowballing and promoting the use of heavy control decks. It's so ridiculous how balancing has always been a problem. Remove the Defenders and the game will be much better.

First, engines were nowhere to be seen as they were too weak and players complained about too much removal. Then the devs reduced the amount of removal, giving engines a chance. Now with the last expansion, crappy Defenders got added, engines got further buffed and they even use Armor, making them too strong in multiple cases, snowballing and promoting the use of heavy control decks. It's so ridiculous how balancing has always been a problem. Remove the Defenders and the game will be much better.
Yeah, it's multiple engines protected that bother me like armored cards that ping every turn. If defenders stay then replay a leader ability and tactic must go

Literally always a problem. I would be speechless if we reach a day that the balancing is on point instead of a mess.

Guest 4368268

Most matches I have are against either hyper control through Syndicate and NG or all out point slam through ST and Monsters. Hell, even the NR pincer maneuver decks feel like hyper control with the Arbalests and Archers being their soul focus. I genuinely miss being able to just play stuff out without the dread of 'it won't live anyway'

I miss OB decks like consume/greatswords that didn't completely rely on destroying everything you play out and actually put thought into how they'd use what limited removal they included. Because of the snowballing effect that style is neither wise nor possible. Because if you don't remove what your opponent plays in terms of engines they are sure to remove yours.

I wish damage cards consisted of RNG units (Like trebuchet) one-time special cards and then gold cards can have charges and try and stock up on them. Because look what happens when it's bronzes that do it (Dwarven Mercenary.. jeez.) Removal right now is just so ridiculously versatile and strong.
Take Moreelse for example, a 4 deal 4 for 9 that can (if you choose to do so) destroy anything for 6 coins.
I just feel like this game thinks so lightly of the term 'destroy'

Tall removal like Geralt/Bonhart is fair because you take a risk including them and you pay serious provisions for the ability.
But a card like Vilgefortz/Moreelse/Yen Invo. and the list goes on won't brick regardless. I don't know why cards like Yarpen even exists anymore. It's not remotely possible to go all-in anyway. Whether you wanna play all-in Mourntart, Yarpen, Keltullis (decks that are weak but exciting to play) it doesn't really matter. They can deny your card regardless of strength and occasionally they can even deny you renewing it in the same play.

It's become a game of 'who can deny his opponents strategy harder' rather than 'who can execute his own better'
I think if you count the amount of removal/cards that rely on damaging in Syndicate/NG seize decks it's way over half of them. That's insane. If you played that much removal in OB you were meming and it wouldn't get you anywhere.
The board wiping style just frustrates me. Yet the snowballing engine decks make people cater to that strategy. Both are detrimental to the game and need to be weakened into tier 3/4 territory. Having said all this, it won't be. But Skellige beasts was annihilated. As has Arachas Queen. Deep sigh.

Let it be a game of both building your own sandcastle and trying to damage your opponents, not either/or.

Most matches I have are against either hyper control through Syndicate and NG or all out point slam through ST and Monsters. Hell, even the NR pincer maneuver decks feel like hyper control with the Arbalests and Archers being their soul focus. I genuinely miss being able to just play stuff out without the dread of 'it won't live anyway'

I miss OB decks like consume/greatswords that didn't completely rely on destroying everything you play out and actually put thought into how they'd use what limited removal they included. Because of the snowballing effect that style is neither wise nor possible. Because if you don't remove what your opponent plays in terms of engines they are sure to remove yours.

I wish damage cards consisted of RNG units (Like trebuchet) one-time special cards and then gold cards can have charges and try and stock up on them. Because look what happens when it's bronzes that do it (Dwarven Mercenary.. jeez.) Removal right now is just so ridiculously versatile and strong.
Take Moreelse for example, a 4 deal 4 for 9 that can (if you choose to do so) destroy anything for 6 coins.
I just feel like this game thinks so lightly of the term 'destroy'

Tall removal like Geralt/Bonhart is fair because you take a risk including them and you pay serious provisions for the ability.
But a card like Vilgefortz/Moreelse/Yen Invo. and the list goes on won't brick regardless. I don't know why cards like Yarpen even exists anymore. It's not remotely possible to go all-in anyway. Whether you wanna play all-in Mourntart, Yarpen, Keltullis (decks that are weak but exciting to play) it doesn't really matter. They can deny your card regardless of strength and occasionally they can even deny you renewing it in the same play.

It's become a game of 'who can deny his opponents strategy harder' rather than 'who can execute his own better'
I think if you count the amount of removal/cards that rely on damaging in Syndicate/NG seize decks it's way over half of them. That's insane. If you played that much removal in OB you were meming and it wouldn't get you anywhere.
The board wiping style just frustrates me. Yet the snowballing engine decks make people cater to that strategy. Both are detrimental to the game and need to be weakened into tier 3/4 territory. Having said all this, it won't be. But Skellige beasts was annihilated. As has Arachas Queen. Deep sigh.

Let it be a game of both building your own sandcastle and trying to damage your opponents, not either/or.

Yes. I have said many times I would love it if control cards were very limited so that you have to really think hard on when you want to use them. Right now the best strategy is to just wipe everything because why not? We have so many seize/destroy cards it's dumb not to.

Defenders has just made the issue worse. Now control has to be crazy strong because if it's not people are just going to drop their defender and run over you with engines. I say screw defenders and hyper control. Defenders can stick around if they are changed/nerfed. Hyper control needs to die.

I think two-cards-in-one-turn leaders are contributing far more to this problem than defenders tbh, this is blatantly clear when you play something like Royal Inspiration against Pincer Maneuver for example.

Crazy engines should be nerfed.
All card pool should be balanced.
Oh last difficult for indie studio :sad:

Top Bottom