Obsidian reveals The Outer Worlds

+
Wow, the games been getting butchered with user reviews on Metacritic. I just scrolled through all the recent ones and many are echoing my same complaints. It's down to 7.9 now and I suspect it will keep diving once more people play and get deeper into the game.

What i can say about it? I dislike the first person only and is what kept me to puchase this game however i quite informed myself about it and for what i say i have to admit is way more rpg than what cyberpunk 2077 videos showcased us. Stats and Skills also not related to combat social skill has everything a good rpg should have.

I may invite cd project red that has way more resources than the obsidian when they developed the game to see that as example.

What i can say about it? I dislike the first person only and is what kept me to puchase this game however i quite informed myself about it and for what i say i have to admit is way more rpg than what cyberpunk 2077 videos showcased us. Stats and Skills also not related to combat social skill has everything a good rpg should have.

I may invite cd project red that has way more resources than the obsidian when they developed the game to see that as example.
Trust me, you don't want a skill system like TOW. The skills themselves would be good, the levelling mechanic is very poor. Every character I make feels and succeeds the same at everything. This is a very shallow game, regardless of what they wanted to make. Choices and consequences are mostly meaningless.

30 plus hours in, still lots of fun. Still die in combat, can kill enemies in 1-3 hits. Not spongy at all unless you really don't know how to do combat or gearing.

Writing still great. Rebuilt character for more 2 handed combat and intim, can no longer lie or hack through obstacles, must intim, kill or find another way.

High points? Hm. Really enjoyed when your stealth cloak fails and you talk the enemy out of attacking you anyway. Only works a couple times.

Enjoyed smacking a jump-jetting enemy robot out of the air, deeply amusing. Also killing a shrunken mantiqueen.

Let the cannibals live, they seemed like nice people.

Friend who was playing kill-everything build had real problems later in game. Was hated by Corps, didn't have stealth skills high enough to bypass obstacles. Skill choices and faction choices definitely matter.

Angry preacher-man is probably my favourite companion. Did enjoy drunken Heavy Weapons scout, but she died. Oops.

Lots of amusing quests, multiple ways to do them - or fail at them. I couldn't turn in three of my quests as I maaay have murdered a Corp security team and made myself hated. I'd picked low Charisma, you see..sooo..very much choice-consequence. Managed to stay neutral to smugglers, phew.

Read the negative reviews on Metacritic a bit. Usual mix of "Worse than Fallout!" "Too much SJW!" "pathetic reddit/casual tier of humour!" "seems like it was made for children." Ah, yes. The Internet. A few valid negative reviews for sure, but mostly short-sighted, entitled bile.

PS4 and Xbox user reviews are about 8.4. PC is 7.9. Critic review for PC is 82 based on 20 critics.

I'd say yeah, a solid 8/10. You could argue 7.5 our of 10 for sure. Either way, still a very fun game and well worth the money.

Beat this yesterday, wasn't impressed whatsoever, quite bland actually and has nothing memorable beside the short cannibals quest
maps are usually small and empty, killing and any sense of exploration
enemy AI is astonishingly bad its hilarious
enemy and weapon variety is sorely lacking, 3 (THREE!) types of ammunition
uninteresting story, companions (aside from SAM and the Vicar)
difficulty is braindead easy, not just combat, but how fast you level up and pass skill-checks, "tinkering" with weapon makes them OP
i could go on but eh, even FO4 had stuff to remember it by like traversing the glowing sea, the zeppelin etc..
im more or less disappointed because this is not my spiritual successor to NV, not anywhere close

Cyberbrett here is the workaround

Nyoka is the final companion you get, and you won’t pick her up until you reach the planet Monarch. You’ll run into Nyoka during the Radio Free Monarch main campaign quest. She’ll give you the Passion Pills side quest when you first meet her. Complete it, and Nyoka will join your crew. Note that YOU NEED to complete Passion Pills and pick up Nyoka to continue the main quest, so you really can’t miss her.
When in your party, Nyoka grants a bonus to your Lie, Sneak, and Medical skills.

for the workaround Click Here
I could get Nyoka to ask for the pills but that`s the end :( I can go to the Doc ( with out the quest or marker ) who has the pills but the pills wont come up in dialog . Google says to reload an old save but i am only using two saved slots and i saved over :giggle: I have started again and almost caught up to where i was . I still have the saves for the patch that must be coming .

ok for those who 'Are in love with' this game..

question!

1- does this game has class? Or is it like fallout games, where you just pick a gun and shoot ?

2- Does it have annoying mini-games like the Lock Pick of say Skyrim ? can you avoid those ? Bust down a door or something?

3- Does it crash like ALL besetha games do ? Like randomly, just close down without a warning .

4- Does it have a Limit in save slot ?

5- Are companions killable ? Or are they say..like in Skyrim where they don't die ? (Cose that would be nice lol) , also do you have to equip them with gears and guns and ammo ? (that was annoying lol) .

ok for those who 'Are in love with' this game..

question!

1- does this game has class? Or is it like fallout games, where you just pick a gun and shoot ?

2- Does it have annoying mini-games like the Lock Pick of say Skyrim ? can you avoid those ? Bust down a door or something?

3- Does it crash like ALL besetha games do ? Like randomly, just close down without a warning .

4- Does it have a Limit in save slot ?

5- Are companions killable ? Or are they say..like in Skyrim where they don't die ? (Cose that would be nice lol) , also do you have to equip them with gears and guns and ammo ? (that was annoying lol) .

1 No , you level up an area like " ranged " it levels up 3 things at one time until level 50 then you can level one thing from the tree at a time .
2 No , to lock pick you need to level the skill to equal or higher than the lock . Then just hold down the button and done no mini game .
3 Not once on PS4 .
4 Again not on PS4.
5 On high difficultly they can die but not on lower ( they will get up at end of the fight ) . You have to give them better gear and weapons but not ammo .

1 No , you level up an area like " ranged " it levels up 3 things at one time until level 50 then you can level one thing from the tree at a time .
2 No , to lock pick you need to level the skill to equal or higher than the lock . Then just hold down the button and done no mini game .
3 Not once on PS4 .
4 Again not on PS4.
5 On high difficultly they can die but not on lower ( they will get up at end of the fight ) . You have to give them better gear and weapons but not ammo .
Cool..

But I'm a pc peasant lol so does it crash there ?

Yeah, I caved and I'm gonna give it a run . Especially, after we had a Blackout here for 2 days (without food, heat..etc) . Anything sound GREAT for me now! LOL

Cool..

But I'm a pc peasant lol so does it crash there ?

Yeah, I caved and I'm gonna give it a run . Especially, after we had a Blackout here for 2 days (without food, heat..etc) . Anything sound GREAT for me now! LOL

Two days bloody hell :eek:I just remembered you will need to pick companions perks and there is a place were you can adjust the way you want them to fight .

Two days bloody hell :eek:I just remembered you will need to pick companions perks and there is a place were you can adjust the way you want them to fight .
Nothing like Dragon Dogma right ? where your pawn sit at a Table, and you pick choices of ''Protect meh when I say so!'' . Then your pawn get up, make you sit and recite the ''You suck , repeat that to me ? I suck thats why my pawn Suck! Again Plz master!'' :LOL:

Nothing like Dragon Dogma right ? where your pawn sit at a Table, and you pick choices of ''Protect meh when I say so!'' . Then your pawn get up, make you sit and recite the ''You suck , repeat that to me ? I suck thats why my pawn Suck! Again Plz master!'' :LOL:

I'd imagine it may be...slightly less obtuse. :p Love Dragon's Dogma, but yes, selecting between scather, challenger, or mitigator to offset your pawn's abilities as a nexus...ah...well, there's Wiki. I doubt any other game will ever add quite so many layers of convolution to accomplish something most games do with a hotkey...

Most everyone I've spoken to is really enjoying Outer Worlds.

I'd imagine it may be...slightly less obtuse. :p Love Dragon's Dogma, but yes, selecting between scather, challenger, or mitigator to offset your pawn's abilities as a nexus...ah...well, there's Wiki. I doubt any other game will ever add quite so many layers of convolution to accomplish something most games do with a hotkey...

Most everyone I've spoken to is really enjoying Outer Worlds.
Oh I wasn't looking down on Dragon Dogma . Far from it, I think the pawn system was very unique and refreshing . Though it was hard to grasp, and even if I sucked at it..I enjoyed it very much .

Was just poking fun at myself and my poor pawn who had to suffer at my inaptitude lol

Do you play it on pc or console ? Is it a console port btw ?

Edit:

So finally, was able to play a little last night .

And are you guys sure this is a fallout like game ? everything is super clean!!! Make me wanna stop and make some omelette! lol

Here is my character!

IndianaEpicGameStore-Win64-Ship 2019-11-03 01-36-43-71.jpg
IndianaEpicGameStore-Win64-Ship 2019-11-03 01-36-43-71.jpg

Let see now, I have an issue with the game . As in, when the dialogue end...left mouse click make me shoot. I shot that poor bartender lady by mistake. And everyone went hostile on my butt . I had to reload . Dunno why my mouse is double-clicking in this game, it work fine elsewhere . So far, I have been using the keyboard to bypass this issue (and so it doesnt happen again ) .

The other minor issue I have, is...when I kill a marauder ? Their body lose limbs and such ? and after the battle, its kinda a pain to hunt down where they ended lol so I can loot them . Though, I admit...seeing a leg or an arm here and there..did make me chuckle!

Oh one funny thing, the game put my usual resolution of my pc which is 1280x1024 as Window Fulls creen ? so I kinda missed some stuff during the cutscene and had to go fullscreen which wasnt my usual resolution.

And the game seem to have issue Alt-Tab . Have to hit the Window Button to get out lol

Last edited:
Played through the "introductory" planet. My impressions, in no particular order:

- Most of the quest are "go there, bring this".
- Combat is OK, but nothing to write home about (if CP2077 would have combat like this, it would got destroyed everywhere). - Enemies are dumb.
- Companions are dumber.
- Exploration is stupid - hey, look! Somebody dropped some crates an the map, completely at random! And put money, ammo and some weapon clones there!
- Combat skills for ranged weapons are kind of pointless. Melee is OP.
- Weapon and armor degradation are added just to be able to say "we have crafting system!" Oh, and: lets spend some money to magically improve weapon damage!
- I haven't chuckled once till now, so I may be lacking humor to enjoy the Other Worlds or the game is not as funny as people are trying to sell it.
- The world is not a living, breathing construct, but just some art with random NPC's sprinkled over it.

All in all, I have to drop down my note on this. From solid 7 to 5.5 maximum. After 5 hours of playing I don't feel compelled to get back to this game - it's just boring, unimaginative and brings absolutely nothing new to RPG genre.

Oh I wasn't looking down on Dragon Dogma . Far from it, I think the pawn system was very unique and refreshing . Though it was hard to grasp, and even if I sucked at it..I enjoyed it very much .

Was just poking fun at myself and my poor pawn who had to suffer at my inaptitude lol

Do you play it on pc or console ? Is it a console port btw ?

Edit:

So finally, was able to play a little last night .

And are you guys sure this is a fallout like game ? everything is super clean!!! Make me wanna stop and make some omelette! lol

Here is my character!

View attachment 11020082View attachment 11020082

Let see now, I have an issue with the game . As in, when the dialogue end...left mouse click make me shoot. I shot that poor bartender lady by mistake. And everyone went hostile on my butt . I had to reload . Dunno why my mouse is double-clicking in this game, it work fine elsewhere . So far, I have been using the keyboard to bypass this issue (and so it doesnt happen again ) .

The other minor issue I have, is...when I kill a marauder ? Their body lose limbs and such ? and after the battle, its kinda a pain to hunt down where they ended lol so I can loot them . Though, I admit...seeing a leg or an arm here and there..did make me chuckle!

Oh one funny thing, the game put my usual resolution of my pc which is 1280x1024 as Window Fulls creen ? so I kinda missed some stuff during the cutscene and had to go fullscreen which wasnt my usual resolution.

And the game seem to have issue Alt-Tab . Have to hit the Window Button to get out lol
Sounds like you are experiencing it on PC now so this is coming a little late, but I have not had any crashes or glitches on PC at all, and I've been playing it a lot since day 1.

Sounds like you are experiencing it on PC now so this is coming a little late, but I have not had any crashes or glitches on PC at all, and I've been playing it a lot since day 1.
Yeah, I'm a pc peasant lol Thanx ! It does feel more..stable then any fallout games I ever played . and I played those since FO1 lol .

Yeah, I'm a pc peasant lol Thanx ! It does feel more..stable then any fallout games I ever played . and I played those since FO1 lol .
For sure, Fallout 2 was the game that finally taught me the importance of keeping multiple save files when towards the end of the game I used a stimpack on the robodog and saved before resolving the turn, leaving me a game file that resulted in a BSOD after loading.

Truth be told, I was hoping for more of a FO 1/2 vibe from OW, but instead I'm getting more 3/NV. I really enjoy the game, but I'm also looking forward to being done with it, if that makes sense.

Top Bottom