Any of the original beta players still playing Gwent?

+
I had started off with closed beta.
I have returned about two moths(?) ago, after throwing my hands up and stomping away in late 2017.
Why have I returned?
Because, when not infuriating, Gwent is a visually beautiful game which is really fun to play.
:shrug:

The reason I had quit was, the matching of players was so awful, I felt like a mole in a whack-a-mole machine, every time I tried to play Gwent at the time. Since I've returned, I must say the matching has been much better. Also, the expansion of the game with Homecoming has a larger potential for a better game now. I have also realised that the long break actually made it easier to re-acquaintance with the game in its latest version, renewing my interest and enthusiasm to play.

It is very much calming to think of Gwent as a permanent beta. It just keeps shifting. Maybe due to bad development? Maybe it is never meant to be even ground for players, for being an even ground would mean death for a card game? Maybe it is going to be a work-in-progress up until a degree which we cannot foresee now?

In any case, it is just a GAME. Do not make too much of it. You can always throw the towel and pick it back up whenever you like.

I started playing the open beta about two months after release and it was a hell of a ride. So many changes and each time you had to adapt for the better or the worse.
But as some fellows said, for me the playing experience generaly improved over time too. One factor is the bigger cardpool so you can build some crazy stuff just for having fun. Having said that, I am a non-competetive player in the moment (rank 18) and winning is not my goal. And down here you meet all kinds of decks. So maybe this is also a reason for my satisfaction with gwent :)
Btw, towels are the best equip in our galaxy! Yeah, don`t take the games so damn serious. Thats indeed a good advise.
Have fun!

Bild 1.png

Still playing... a lot... maybe too much...ähhhh.....

One factor is the bigger cardpool so you can build some crazy stuff just for having fun. Having said that, I am a non-competetive player in the moment (rank 18) and winning is not my goal.

Even though there is literally more cards now, it feels like there are way less cards than in Beta because they are so similar. At least 200 of the bronzes in Homecoming are all the same. They all just basic kindergarten math like 3+3=6 or 5+2=7. Either that or 4 points +1 per turn.

It's boring compared to all the cool abilities the bronzes had in beta like nekkers or queensguard or reavers.

You can praise BETA for what is was, but it also was really predictable at the end. I could tell literary what cards the opponent would play, much more then nowadays in HC.

Yeah, not like you get THE EXACT SAME NILFGAARD OR MYSTIC ECHO DECK against you every, single match....

this is a result because all of the META decks are OP and easy to get acces to via sites like Aretuza. Past and this month I am close to a 1000 games with a variety of 30-40 decks that all have their own combos or synergy. it doesn't matter if like SK Discard gets buffed as long as the OP META don't get nerved in order to create an all balanced game in which all decks have kind of similar winrating. Maybe on top of it all is Syndicate, I don't know their combos or cards that well since I haven't played with it but their removal ability is beyond absurd.

Stopped playing a couple of month before Iron Judgment.

While I've lost interest in playing the game, I kept my interest in Gwent as an online product. Curious to see where it is headed. A new rework on the horizon? What do new players think on Reddit? That sort of stuff.
But playing the game, that does not appeal me.

Stopped playing a couple of month before Iron Judgment.
The Syndicate expansion?

I was on the verge than. I think what save my will to play back then was the seasonal mode. Then came the next month and then Iron Judgement with some ATROCIOUS seasonals and I just stopped. I think the game got changed way too fast way too many times to actually keep my interest for one, but the main thing is the pathetic balancing. I believe roughly half of the cards are pretty much unplayable. This irritates me to no avail.

Last edited:
The Syndicate expansion?
Yes, that one.

It wasn't the poor balancing that made me drop the game. As a low rank player I don't get too upset losing games, even by a good margin. But the fact that I couldn't find a game mechanic that would catch my interest, that would suite my playstyle, this is what made me lose interest. The last interesting game concept I can remember of was "Reach" and they removed it.

It's not just the gameplay. Having decoupled leaders and abilities breaks my immersion.

But for new players, specifically former Hearthstone players, Gwent still looks like some kind of Heaven as they come from a stingy economy system, boring game.

Honestly, I think the game has definitely improved since the Beta. I personally enjoy it a lot more nowadays!

I don't like homecoming but that's not the point.
Beta gwent was a real nice game. The problem is that homecoming is another game with just some cards name in common. Beta gwent only needed an update for improve balance and graphic, not another game with senseless mechanics.
It s shameful to launch a beta if the definitive game is a completly different Game
And.. just for let you know
there was a lot of variety in deckbuilding of higt rank during beta

Raunbjorn

You can praise BETA for what is was, but it also was really predictable at the end. I could tell literary what cards the opponent would play, much more then nowadays in HC.

Part of the reason was that the cardpool was smaller since the game was still new. If they just continued with the beta gameplay and released more cards then there would be a more diverse meta. Might be just me but i never got bored of facing the same decks in beta like i did with HC cause the gameplay was so freakin smooth but whatever... :p

Part of the reason was that the cardpool was smaller since the game was still new. If they just continued with the beta gameplay and released more cards then there would be a more diverse meta. Might be just me but i never got bored of facing the same decks in beta like i did with HC cause the gameplay was so freakin smooth but whatever...

Thats true, it always was a nice challenge.

I don't see exactly what's wrong with that. It came down to your ability to create decks flexible enough to get an opportunity to win. People brewing their own decks were rewarded for it for being unpredictable too, making viable the creation of tons of variations around a same archetype.

Netdecking made you predictable as fuck and did put you at a slight disadvantage, which I think was good.

Was here since the early beta and gave up the game after HC. Now i just log here every 3 months to see if the game is still alive.

I'm still mad about what CDPR did and i dont intent to ever come back to this shadow of what Gwent was. #notmygwent

Given the incredibly good press CDPR (mostly deserved), the massive fuckup that beta gwent was, it is unbelievable that nothing really transpired to the press. It was a scandal really and proof that even the posterchild of the games industry can fuckup like the rest.

Top Bottom