Please cdpr, make sure that Cyberpunk runs well on base consoles.

+
The Witcher 3 on base PS4 could barely run the game at a solid 30fps. Please don't leave us gamers limited by the base consoles, to suffer with poor fps, and load times. I understand that optimization has been taken seriously by your team, but we won't truly know until release. The game looks truly ambitious, for even current gen consoles to run. The density and scale the game is unreal, and the crowd system looks breathtaking. Please delay the game if needed, to make sure it can play the way you intend it. Even give the game a scaleable resolution on all base consoles, if that would sustain a stable fps, between 720p, 900p and 1080p.

CDPR has always optimized their games reasonably well. I'd expect Cyberpunk will be fine in that regard. That being said, I don't believe they should scale back the game in order to accommodate consoles. If you're expecting 60 fps for Cyberpunk though, you may be dissapointed. That's a limitation on the playstation tech, not on CDPR's part.

...give the game a scaleable resolution...

This is probably the best way to gain performance. Render in 720p; some of the more demanding post-processing effects disabled; a nice scaling option with light FXAA. That would be a bit pixelated in the distance, textures a bit muddy, colors perhaps not as intense, but it would probably increase performance noticeably.

This is probably the best way to gain performance. Render in 720p; some of the more demanding post-processing effects disabled; a nice scaling option with light FXAA. That would be a bit pixelated in the distance, textures a bit muddy, colors perhaps not as intense, but it would probably increase performance noticeably.
True. Did they do that for Witcher 3 on base consoles?

I'm truly not sure, but I don't think TW3 scales on console. It's locked at whatever resolution it's set to. To me (and I've not seen too much of it on console first-hand), it seems like most of the options were on, but scale and distance detail is pulled back a bit to maximize FPS.

On PC, if I'm getting general FPS chop, one of the first things I'll do is drop the resolution a step or two. Even with all graphics options maxed out, that one change often yields 20+ FPS with very little loss of image quality.

The one, big issue with this would be the scaling option. If the image is simply stretched to fit the screen, there will be noticeable pixelation of the image / lots of jaggies. It will look "blurry". A good scaling option should tidy that up, though it can't get rid of it completely. What I prefer to do is simply draw the game in a smaller screen space, but keep the image at a 1:1 resolution. (So, if I run a game in 1600x900 res on my 1920x1080 monitor, it will draw in a central space on the screen with a black border all around it. Or, I'll manually switch the resolution of the screen to 1600x900, which will then draw across the entire screen space at true 1:1 scale, but I'm not sure consoles have an option like this so readily available. May cause issues with the overall system to switch the resolution like that. Not sure.)

For my part I generally play games at "high" rather then "max" settings (and shadows at medium UNLESS it's a "hide in shadows" stealth game) in order to get good FPS. Many (most?) consoles have a fixed (usually 30) FPS rate so whatever settings allow you to achieve this most of the time would be appropriate. You're just not going to get max graphics and max FPS with anything but a monster, custom, gaming PC.

For my part I generally play games at "high" rather then "max" settings (and shadows at medium UNLESS it's a "hide in shadows" stealth game) in order to get good FPS. Many (most?) consoles have a fixed (usually 30) FPS rate so whatever settings allow you to achieve this most of the time would be appropriate. You're just not going to get max graphics and max FPS with anything but a monster, custom, gaming PC.

I do the same when I need to. I'll always go for steady performance over nitty-gritty details.

Another useful technique is to limit the FPS between 45-50. That's still really smooth gameplay, and it makes any fluctuations in FPS far less noticeable. (I will definitely notice FPS drop from 60 down to 35. It will not be so readily apparent if I drop from 45 down to 35. Much less jarring, and a much smoother experience, overall.)

If you're expecting 60 fps for Cyberpunk though, you may be dissapointed. That's a limitation on the playstation tech, not on CDPR's part.
I wasn't expecting the game to run at 60 fps, I simply want cdpr to do whatever they can to optimize this game to run at a mostly solid 30 fps.
Post automatically merged:

Yes, they did it with Xbox one, where it would dynamically switch between 900p and 1080p. This was to keep performance more consistent on the less powerful Xbox One. I feel that they could do this with the PlayStation 4, to keep a more consistent fps in Cyberpunk. Cyberpunk seems to be a more demanding game graphically, and density wise, so both consoles may need to use dynamic resolution to some extent.

Last edited:

Guest 3573786

It's clearly optimized for consoles so I dont think you have anything to worry about.

Top Bottom