Do Not Be Afraid About CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you on the forums would have seen my angry rant about CP2077. I wish to apologise. I was misinformed. I want to tell every possible detractor not to worry as I will be shedding light on the gripes of the game.

First Person-

People seem to hate the idea of FPP as the only perspective as it renders customization meaningless. CDPR have put in cutscenes, mirrors and we will also see our character a lot in the inventory. They also confirmed a photo mode that will allow us to take screenshots of our character, hopefully with a ton of poses.

World Design-

Another gripe people have with the game is the map and the D/N cycle. One thing that I actually liked about the game was the D/N cycle and how during the day you could feel the heat coming off the streets while at night the Blade Runner aesthetic was popping my eyes. As for the map it does seem a little small but remember there will be verticality and undercity as well so that is a big plus. Vice City was a tiny map but very memorable.

Character Creation-

Going from the 2018 demo to the 2019 demo it is obvious that there are some changes. Gone are the detailed lifepaths in favour of three different backstorys in favour of Nomad, Street Kid and Corporate which are wildly different from each other which I think will give much more incentive for multiple playthroughs especially if it plays out how i think it will. I think CDPR said it will give you a different starting point.
Also CDPR made the character creation options smaller for the sake of a proper run-through and there will be way more options in the final release.

Soundtrack-

This is more for myself but while I do not agree with A$AP Rocky being in the game there are actually quite a few Rock/Metal artists in the game including Tina Guo, Rat Boy, Ilan Rubin and of course Refused moreso than Rap and Pop. I like how diverse it is too. Its not that I hate other genres but I think it would be unfair to exclude a single genre. Thankfully thats not the case

So like I said I apologise. The community is not toxic but my only piece of advice would be not to rail against detractors too much after all they are cyberpunk fans like us. On the other side it is a little impusive of detractors to jump ship, thats why I tried to clear up the gripes about the game as I nearly did the same. Research is always recommended, it could save your life. As long as everyone keeps a cool head we can prevent any division that may arise.

I am chipping back in

While my criticisms might seem harsh I will buy the game and I want it to be so good a trilogy with multiple expansions would be all but guaranteed.

However my concerns are completely different.
  • Budget - the game is very expensive. Is it spent well? Not sure if money on rappers etc. is good investment.
  • Game-play seems weak
  • RPG systems such as skills are rather bland, we only saw time slow/acceleration and hacking - in such setting more fun stuff like active camouflage, predator vision etc. should be possible. More crazy skills you cannot get in single playthrough - more replayability
  • Character has predefined personality with auto-dialogue (e.g. Seems V really likes alcohol)
  • Censorship and toning down of characters sexiness
  • Modding support has low priority

People seem to hate the idea of FPP as the only perspective as it renders customization meaningless.

That is just one of many reasons I hate FPP in an ostensible RPG (& main reason I cancelled my pre-order). If some enterprising modder adds TPP (unlikely to be honest), I'll buy the game after it gets its inevitable third or fourth patch :D

I would add general gameplay (combat included) and character systems to that list.

I also don't think it's wrong to speak straight and even unapologetically if one has a chip on their shoulder over a feature or someones opinion. Just as long as there is a good elaboration and some constructivity (possibly even a proposed solution) injected to the situation.

Game-play seems weak

I don't know why people's saying "Gameplay seems weak"

CD Projekt is speaking everytime about how gameplay will be diversified. It seems like the main focus for CD Projekt

Character has predefined personality with auto-dialogue (e.g. Seems V really likes alcohol)

Where do you see that? Never saw a predefined personality

Censorship and toning down of characters sexiness

They already said there is no censorship except specifically for a country

Whats wrong with Asap Rocky? Of course there gotta be black man rap, Mike is black. I personally hope they do it true Ghetto style. I dont know any game what does ghetto rap. its an opportunity, no doubt it gives nice twist in the series.

Where do you see that? Never saw a predefined personality
https://gamingbolt.com/cyberpunk-2077-dev-the-protagonist-is-not-a-blank-piece-of-paper

Because it is. CDPR also knows this, so they are not showing new full length gameplay because behind the closed doors public demo feedback.

Considering Witcher 3 gameplay was its weakest part there is no reason to expect anything amazing this time either.

Because it is. CDPR also knows this, so they are not showing new full length gameplay because behind the closed doors public demo feedback.

We saw 48 min of gameplay last year + every interview is focus on gameplay and how Cyberpunk is diversified. Actually, we can't say gameplay is weak, only feeling was a problem for some people

Gameplay =/= feeling. You can have a very good gameplay but a very bad feeling about it (dunno if feeling is the good word here)

Yeah, you have a past like every character in this kind of game. But it doesn't mean your V is the same than my V

My biggest concerns are graphics, crowd density and optimization
graphics looked washed out and somewhat blurry in both demos, people who saw the behind closed doors said its much better, but ill be the judge of that
crowd density looked great in some parts of the 48m demo and utterly lacking in others especially when you drive to the outskirts of the city, nailing this is essential for the immersion they're going for, being in a dense megacity and whatnot
nowadays optimization is a foreign concept to many lazy ass developers, considering 1/3 of the preorders are on GOG i hope CDPR doesn't neglect the PC version

I agree. What we’ve been shown looks exceptionally weak considering all the hype. It looks neither a well designed RPG nor a ”good shooter”. More like a mishmash of GTA, Witcher 3

But one has to also consider that they might not be showing every feature and trick, because they want players to figure it out for themselves (and they’ve said as much on certain occasions), which is of course a good thing.

That’s not an excuse, I do think certain things need some heavy refinement (most of which I don’t think will happen), but it is something to consider.

Soundtrack-

This is more for myself but while I do not agree with A$AP Rocky being in the game there are actually quite a few Rock/Metal artists in the game including Tina Guo, Rat Boy, Ilan Rubin and of course Refused moreso than Rap and Pop. I like how diverse it is too. Its not that I hate other genres but I think it would be unfair to exclude a single genre. Thankfully thats not the case

So like I said I apologise. The community is not toxic but my only piece of advice would be not to rail against detractors too much after all they are cyberpunk fans like us. On the other side it is a little impusive of detractors to jump ship, thats why I tried to clear up the gripes about the game as I nearly did the same. Research is always recommended, it could save your life. As long as everyone keeps a cool head we can prevent any division that may arise.

I am chipping back in

TIna Guo is rock/metal? She is a CELLIST. One whose work on wonder woman I liked but I wouldn't label her rock.

But what exactly made you change your opinion? Because I read these forums, believe I have read the same things and I am still sceptic. What I want to see and hear are my fears revoked. I honestly don't have enough information to either confirm or deny my fears.

Yeah, now is certainly the time for tempered expectations moving forward. I'm hoping to be surprised by a lot of things, but so far, the hacking -- which was supposed to be the one most exciting part of the game, given the universe -- is just a basic-looking minigame. Hacking interactions seemed limited.

They could have soothed this concern with proper gameplay. That 15-minute "deep dive" was very forgettable and uninformative. I'm trying to get in the habit of offering solutions instead of just moaning, so, in the future, I want them to show uninterrupted gameplay. It does not need to be 45 minutes, even 10 minutes is good. Just show us a FULL section of a mission (not necessarily a whole mission) and make it clear what options are available to us at any given time.

Gameplay, I don't know. Too early for me to say whether or not it looks weak. Combat looks serviceable, certainly better than Fallout 4's. It's a bit tricky to define other aspects of gameplay. Even in my favorite CRPGs, "gameplay" mostly amounts to looting things, talking to people, and fighting, all of which Cyberpunk will have. So, my solution: I'd like to see more non-confrontational uses for hacking to spice things up. Not just distractions, but hacking things to get money, disarm traps, get clues for a mission or important items that don't necessarily relate to combat, etc.

This might already be in game. Again, the gameplay we've seen so far is so poor that I honestly have no bloody idea how the game is going to function moment-to-moment. The 48-minute demo gave a much better idea of a full "mission structure," but it's extremely dated by now and likely not at all representative of the final product.

CD Projekt is speaking everytime about how gameplay will be diversified. It seems like the main focus for CD Projekt

I think it's because people prioritize different things in gameplay. For exemple one common discussion is player skill based gameplay VS character skill based gameplay. It seems like C2077 might be in the middle of those as twitch players an stats players both complains.

They already said there is no censorship except specifically for a country

Well, there can be lots of definition of "No censorship".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom