Can we please get categories/subfolders in the deck builder

+
So, I'm fairly new at this game, but over the past 4-5 months I've managed to build quite a few decks. Sadly, this is becoming quite a mess in the deckbuilder and is clogging up the space and becoming disorderly and somewhat difficult to manage.

I can imagine that going forward this situation will get even worse, especially considering I've only played Northern Realms and Nilfgaard until now. Most decks I want to keep, even those I stop using. I might want to put them in a "legacy" folder or something like that, if I need to consult that deck later on, or start using it again. Some decks you grow attached to, some decks you just improve from the core up in a new similar deck.

Nilfgaard is the faction I play the most, and so far I've "only" managed to play with 4 leaders to a good level. This ofcourse would mean a minimum of 4 decks, but in reality I'm more at like 8 decks just for Nilfgaard. Some decks I count as "outdated" as they will no longer provide the necessary power at higher ranks, some decks I just use less than others, or I just got tired of them. I make some "special decks" just for fun, like a Witcher deck and a Mill deck. In any case, I want to keep these decks.

Getting to the point, it would be great to have a better way to organise the decks in the deckbuilder. Now it's just a long list of all the decks, and the ones last edited is on the top, and the ones with the longest time since edited is at the bottom. It would be nice to have some custom way to organise these decks. I say a custom way, because logically it could be easy to organise them into factions, which would also be good, but not really the "solution". A custom way to organise them into some kind of subfolders or categories to make it easier to navigate a long list of decks, would be super great.

That way I could toss my "legacy" decks into a folder, I could toss my "fun decks" into another folder, my "Emhyr decks" into a folder, my "Northern Realms decks" into a folder etc etc.

So, either just a subfolder system with custom options, or "double subfolder" system, with factions and custom options. Strictly organising them by factions is also not so great, so an option to make the first subfolder custom as well, would allow you to sort different "types" of similar decks from different factions into the same place.

Anyways, I hope you get my point and understand what I am trying to explain, and it would be awesome if you could implement something great in the deckbuilder to make it possible to organise.

You can generate the link for the decks you are interested in keeping, and keep them organised with bookmarks in the browser (they are one click away to import back into the game).

Then once in a while you can safely delete the decks from the game, since eventually they become obsolete (changes in provisions, in the meta...), and just keep the few worth playing at the moment.

You can generate the link for the decks you are interested in keeping, and keep them organised with bookmarks in the browser (they are one click away to import back into the game).

Then once in a while you can safely delete the decks from the game, since eventually they become obsolete (changes in provisions, in the meta...), and just keep the few worth playing at the moment.

Well, I am on PS4, not sure that is possible. And it would be preferable to be able to organise them ingame.

That's a fair point. I play on PC and since this feature was added the management of the decks became so much easier.

Howdy,

A single huge list without any kind of overview of anything seems to be the preferred "modern" method of things. However, I would really like it, if it was possible to sort decks in the deckbuilder into subfolders and/or categories, preferably both. (practically double subfolders)

The current deckbuilder it is somewhat difficult to manage your decks beyond a certain number of decks, due to it being a single list. I don't have that many decks yet (only play Nilfgaard and Northern Realms), but it's already becoming problematic. I can imagine someone who plays all factions, the deckbuilder is somewhat of a chaos.

There are so many different things to do in the deckbuilder that the current design seems a bit outdated. I mean, beyond having decks for every factions, maybe people have experimental decks, gimmick decks, fun decks, outdated decks or even for memory sake old decks they will never use again. With all that going on, there should be a better way to manage decks. Let's say the minimum someone has 6 decks for every faction, that's 36 decks and not very convenient to manage in the deckbuilder. In a worse case, they might have an additional 36 decks that are experimental, outdated or fun decks or whatever, who knows...

A single list is just a poor choice.

So recently I just hit the limit of 40 decks too, which seems like an annoying limitation to have.

That's basically just 1 deck for each leader and each faction..

Howdy,

A single huge list without any kind of overview of anything seems to be the preferred "modern" method of things. However, I would really like it, if it was possible to sort decks in the deckbuilder into subfolders and/or categories, preferably both. (practically double subfolders)

The current deckbuilder it is somewhat difficult to manage your decks beyond a certain number of decks, due to it being a single list. I don't have that many decks yet (only play Nilfgaard and Northern Realms), but it's already becoming problematic. I can imagine someone who plays all factions, the deckbuilder is somewhat of a chaos.

There are so many different things to do in the deckbuilder that the current design seems a bit outdated. I mean, beyond having decks for every factions, maybe people have experimental decks, gimmick decks, fun decks, outdated decks or even for memory sake old decks they will never use again. With all that going on, there should be a better way to manage decks. Let's say the minimum someone has 6 decks for every faction, that's 36 decks and not very convenient to manage in the deckbuilder. In a worse case, they might have an additional 36 decks that are experimental, outdated or fun decks or whatever, who knows...

A single list is just a poor choice.

Try naming your decks, it really helps. Also I agree they should be separated, but rather than by folder it should be by faction. The maximum should be at least 60 (10 decks per faction, some for seasonal and some for classic.)

Try naming your decks, it really helps. Also I agree they should be separated, but rather than by folder it should be by faction. The maximum should be at least 60 (10 decks per faction, some for seasonal and some for classic.)

I do name my decks!

Why should there be a limit to decks you can build/keep?

I do name my decks!

Why should there be a limit to decks you can build/keep?

There is a long and short answer to this but I lack the ability to articulate the long answer. The short answer is because the game seems to keep all the decks in the cloud rather than the device. This is why you can seemlessly transition from PC to smart phone and back. My guess is that more decks equals more storage space. With 5 factions and 4 leaders per faction, 40 is fine. With 6 factions and 7 leaders per faction, 40 does not even allow for one deck per leader. Add in seasonal mode and I think a 50 percent expansion though technically challenging would be worth it.

There is a long and short answer to this but I lack the ability to articulate the long answer. The short answer is because the game seems to keep all the decks in the cloud rather than the device. This is why you can seemlessly transition from PC to smart phone and back. My guess is that more decks equals more storage space. With 5 factions and 4 leaders per faction, 40 is fine. With 6 factions and 7 leaders per faction, 40 does not even allow for one deck per leader. Add in seasonal mode and I think a 50 percent expansion though technically challenging would be worth it.

Really? Should it not simply be an xml or html text list of cards? That virtually takes no space at all.
Even if you had a list of thousands of decks in your deckbuilder, it would only be a few megabytes of data.

Companies these days give out gigabytes of online storage. CDPR must surely be able to host a few magebytes of data?

Really? Should it not simply be an xml or html text list of cards? That virtually takes no space at all.
Even if you had a list of thousands of decks in your deckbuilder, it would only be a few megabytes of data.

Companies these days give out gigabytes of online storage. CDPR must surely be able to host a few magebytes of data?

This is why I am not qualified for the longer answer. I have no idea how much space is actually required, especially with the animated version of the cards. My guess is just that a guess. It makes sense given the situation, but perhaps you are right. At the same time, I do wonder how much space CDPR rents and how much is done on their own servers. Also, without knowing the size of the player base it is impossible to guess how much space would be taken up. One last thing to consider, even despite being away a year this time and around a year last time, my decks were waiting for me. If it is true that any player who downloads gwent and makes a deck takes up space forever, I can see how trying to limit the decks could save on space.

This is why I am not qualified for the longer answer. I have no idea how much space is actually required, especially with the animated version of the cards. My guess is just that a guess. It makes sense given the situation, but perhaps you are right. At the same time, I do wonder how much space CDPR rents and how much is done on their own servers. Also, without knowing the size of the player base it is impossible to guess how much space would be taken up. One last thing to consider, even despite being away a year this time and around a year last time, my decks were waiting for me. If it is true that any player who downloads gwent and makes a deck takes up space forever, I can see how trying to limit the decks could save on space.

Well, if they store the actual pictures of each deck, it's very poorly programmed. I think it's basically just a text list which translates to an actual deck online or in the game.

I doubt it has anything to do with space. Like I said, I'm almost certain 40 decks in 1 million players decklists take virtually no space at all. If it's a normal database it wouldn't take much space at all and allow for almost unlimited amount of decks in the deckbuilder.

I would think the data is server side and synced to your local client when you log in, and then synced back serverside when something changes. Should be very cheap and allow for unlimited decks in the deckbuilder at virtually no costs.

The simple is answer: users can be evil
Users do sometimes things you never thought of as a developer - stupid, crazy actions
So, you need some restrictions. Otherwise it get's out of control.

Space can't be the problem. Still, there will be limits.

A database would be appropriate. Maybe MYSQL, maybe they store it as simple files but for sure not as html.

The simple is answer: users can be evil
Users do sometimes things you never thought of as a developer - stupid, crazy actions
So, you need some restrictions. Otherwise it get's out of control.

Space can't be the problem. Still, there will be limits.

A database would be appropriate. Maybe MYSQL, maybe they store it as simple files but for sure not as html.

Sure, but improving the deckbuilder is the point here. Making the limit higher than most people need, would be better. Then there is still a limit, but people are free to manage their decks as they please. And hopefully also in a better way than just a slide list of decks.

Even 40 decks is inconvenient with a slide list, it's messy and difficult to navigate.

There need to be some kind of subdivisions within the decklist to sort them in a way convenient to the user. Even a filter would be too restrictive, even though it could help. Double custom keyword filter could work with an additional possibility to filter by faction.

Probably something like subfolders cannot work too well on mobiles sadly, but double custom keyword filters on your decks could do the same job. Or if subfolders could work, there could also be a filter in addition, like a category filter or something like that.

In a best case you could basically have as many decks are you want and be able to manage these in a convenient way in the deckbuilder.

I agree with you the list could be more functional and have a higher limit. The list takes so much space for each item espacially in the main program.
On the other hand it's a game. They wanted it to look nice. When you have seen the stats from Slama. There are about 64% who play from time to time, ~25% play sometimes and about 10% regular or hardcore gamer. You are one of them arguing about the deck list, including wonderboy870 and me we are 3.
As CDPR I would think how much effort do we have to put in and what does it gives us in return (0 :LOL:).

Do you really play 40 decks?

No, but some of them I will revisit and rebuild.

A couple I just saved for memory sake, like my 1st ever deck (NR). And some others are some decks I was fond of, and some gimmick decks that maybe don't work currently, but could again.

I would like to archive some of them. And the rest I want to sort in different ways so that I can refine them later on, or re-use them or whatever. I also faction hop quite a bit, so some faction I perhaps don't play for a season or two, but probably want to pick up again later.

There are many cases just for me, imagine how many variances and cases there are for all the players! A better way for everyone to manage that would benefit the deckbuilder.

I agree with you the list could be more functional and have a higher limit. The list takes so much space for each item espacially in the main program.
On the other hand it's a game. They wanted it to look nice. When you have seen the stats from Slama. There are about 64% who play from time to time, ~25% play sometimes and about 10% regular or hardcore gamer. You are one of them arguing about the deck list, including wonderboy870 and me we are 3.
As CDPR I would think how much effort do we have to put in and what does it gives us in return (0 :LOL:).

What would be needed is a least a classification by faction. It gets tiresome that if you you keep editing one of the first decks, even if it is the current one being used, it is always at the bottom of the list.

Last edited:
What would be needed is a least a classification by faction. It get tiresome that if you you keep editing one of the first decks, even if it is the current one being used, it is always at the bottom of the list.

12 to 24 decks for seasonal modes. 1 or 2 per season assuming you want to keep your old decks around for the next year to remember your old game plan. Then you need at least 2 per faction. 12 and 24 is 36. Not a ton of room to maneuver. I agree they should be isolated by faction and there should be tags for seasonal or classic.

12 to 24 decks for seasonal modes. 1 or 2 per season assuming you want to keep your old decks around for the next year to remember your old game plan. Then you need at least 2 per faction. 12 and 24 is 36. Not a ton of room to maneuver. I agree they should be isolated by faction and there should be tags for seasonal or classic.

Well, 6 leaders also per faction, 36 decks just from each leader and faction.

Top Bottom