Legends of Runeterra (Amazing new card game)

+
To continue from the previous post, LoR has some pretty amazing artwork, ranging from cute to gritty.

Just a few examples:

That might be so, but the overall game (compared to Gwent) seems to have that kind of Pokemon look to it, alike to Heartstone. It just looks messy and chaotic.. Perhaps I'm just too old.. (animations also look too fast).. That I could not pay attention to what was going on, without missing half of it.

Not saying it's a bad game or that people should rather play Gwent, but I could never consider that game, due to exactly what I describe, even if it was a better meta game than Gwent. I guess I am just too old (older than the Pokemon generation).

I just wanted to say that I started playing LoR recently and I'm really impressed by it. It's actually amazing what they have done with such a small cardpool. I've been playing Gwent for about 3 years now and I can say for certain that the amount of strategy packed into LoR blows Gwent out of the water.

Really great strategic elements to the game:
  • I love the slow/fast/burst spell system and being able to counter enemy spells in a variety of ways with your own faster ones.
  • How mana carries over between rounds into a seperate spell container. Really encourages spell usage and their own resource management.
  • How you can stall while on attack by playing low mana cards to bait out more from the enemy to hit with a big attack. It adds some mind games and makes weak cards super valuable.
  • Positioning units on the board is very important. There are even many effects that are triggered by others mid-combat. (I'm always so disappointed Gwent never figured out how to do this.)
There's also so many unique effects on the cards, it's not just +/- points like what Gwent's become. I feel like all the cards in a LoR deck are valuable in their own way. I never feel cheated by not drawing my best cards because the power gap is very small between best & worst cards.

All the cards in a LoR deck feel like they are working together towards a greater objective. I never have that feeling in Gwent anymore, because your strategy completely revolves around 2-3 card self-contained combos (like Luiza/Savolla, Yghern/Ozrel, Dagur/Wild Boar, Scenario/trigger cards, Waters/Mystic Echo).

LoR also got it right with the tutorial. It lets you play the game against many different leaders while teaching you the actual mechanics of each faction, and gives you rewards based on each. Very similar to the challenges we had in Beta Gwent. If you ask me the HC Gwent tutorial is severely lacking in comparison. Plus you can only play against 1 AI leader in HC Gwent.

Overall I would say LoR is a game that must be tried especially if you are looking for more strategy in your card games. Pretty much no RNG in the cards is a huge bonus too.

That game looks and feels like this: A group of guys who played MTG, HS and some other less known games brainstormed what they could steal and mix into their game. I have not seen any original ideas there. All mechanics are stolen from one of the known games. I could not pick up any strong reasons why this clone should deserve my attention.

That game looks and feels like this: A group of guys who played MTG, HS and some other less known games brainstormed what they could steal and mix into their game. I have not seen any original ideas there. All mechanics are stolen from one of the known games. I could not pick up any strong reasons why this clone should deserve my attention.

The game being a clone doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Also, a good game is more than the sum of its parts. LoR mixes enough different things together to give it a fresh experience. Incidentally, the RNG of HS and the land screw/flood in MtG are the most annoying aspects of those games, which aren't found in LoR. Finally, if you don't play clones, then you exclude 95% of all games, including some masterpieces.

I don't see the problem. It took what worked from other games and made a great card game with LoL lore. It has made some great changes on those systems btw with how turns work and the mana carry over system.

Anyway all I know is I wasn't having fun with Gwent and now I am having a great time every day with LoR. I'm happy.
Post automatically merged:

I just wanted to say that I started playing LoR recently and I'm really impressed by it. It's actually amazing what they have done with such a small cardpool. I've been playing Gwent for about 3 years now and I can say for certain that the amount of strategy packed into LoR blows Gwent out of the water.

Really great strategic elements to the game:
  • I love the slow/fast/burst spell system and being able to counter enemy spells in a variety of ways with your own faster ones.
  • How mana carries over between rounds into a seperate spell container. Really encourages spell usage and their own resource management.
  • How you can stall while on attack by playing low mana cards to bait out more from the enemy to hit with a big attack. It adds some mind games and makes weak cards super valuable.
  • Positioning units on the board is very important. There are even many effects that are triggered by others mid-combat. (I'm always so disappointed Gwent never figured out how to do this.)
There's also so many unique effects on the cards, it's not just +/- points like what Gwent's become. I feel like all the cards in a LoR deck are valuable in their own way. I never feel cheated by not drawing my best cards because the power gap is very small between best & worst cards.

All the cards in a LoR deck feel like they are working together towards a greater objective. I never have that feeling in Gwent anymore, because your strategy completely revolves around 2-3 card self-contained combos (like Luiza/Savolla, Yghern/Ozrel, Dagur/Wild Boar, Scenario/trigger cards, Waters/Mystic Echo).

LoR also got it right with the tutorial. It lets you play the game against many different leaders while teaching you the actual mechanics of each faction, and gives you rewards based on each. Very similar to the challenges we had in Beta Gwent. If you ask me the HC Gwent tutorial is severely lacking in comparison. Plus you can only play against 1 AI leader in HC Gwent.

Overall I would say LoR is a game that must be tried especially if you are looking for more strategy in your card games. Pretty much no RNG in the cards is a huge bonus too.

LoR has really opened my eyes in regards to what was missing in Gwent for me. Deck building is much more open and interesting in legends. The matches are more dynamic and require more decision making.

Last edited:
Alright you guys. I was reluctant to try out this new card game, but with such references in this thread I will.

I started it a while ago, after this post and I don't regret so far. It is another clone of magic but for me magic was always a card game. I feel it too complex for a computer one.
Anyway everything has been said: the progression is nice, although not so fast as to be able to have all the cards in a month (unless with real money, but even so there is a limit on what you can buy). The system is nice, especially the 3 geared spell level (once again reminding magic) and the champion system is fun.
There are obviously balance issues (elusive...) but I hope a solution will be found soon. Maybe they should make each elusive unit remove one spot on the battlefield or just increase their cost. Or add a create a tag that allows to block the offensive capacities (overwhelm, elusive, fearsome, quick attack).

Another thing that is great is the detailed explanation behind each change. Hopefully it will stay like that.
Example for the last patch: https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/patch-0-9-2-notes/

Also a dedicated forum would be nice.

Alright you guys. I was reluctant to try out this new card game, but with such references in this thread I will.
Would love to hear what you think. I recommend just playing the AI for a bit and learn at your own pace while you pick up cards.
Post automatically merged:

I started it a while ago, after this post and I don't regret so far. It is another clone of magic but for me magic was always a card game. I feel it too complex for a computer one.
Anyway everything has been said: the progression is nice, although not so fast as to be able to have all the cards in a month (unless with real money, but even so there is a limit on what you can buy). The system is nice, especially the 3 geared spell level (once again reminding magic) and the champion system is fun.
There are obviously balance issues (elusive...) but I hope a solution will be found soon. Maybe they should make each elusive unit remove one spot on the battlefield or just increase their cost. Or add a create a tag that allows to block the offensive capacities (overwhelm, elusive, fearsome, quick attack).

Another thing that is great is the detailed explanation behind each change. Hopefully it will stay like that.
Example for the last patch: https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/patch-0-9-2-notes/

Also a dedicated forum would be nice.
I'm honestly fine with elusives at the moment. This game embraces powerful combos and strategies. There's other stuff like rekindler based decks that are crazier than elusives. There are so many options. Elusives are just a drop in the bucket.

The game being a clone doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Also, a good game is more than the sum of its parts. LoR mixes enough different things together to give it a fresh experience. Incidentally, the RNG of HS and the land screw/flood in MtG are the most annoying aspects of those games, which aren't found in LoR. Finally, if you don't play clones, then you exclude 95% of all games, including some masterpieces.

Hello 4RM3D. I would like to try out private matches in LoR since I haven't yet and wanted to know if you were interested? Also anyone else who plays this game and wants to private match just send me a PM or whatever. This is purely non competitive just for fun so no one needs to be nervous or anything. Just playing fun decks. If you are low level and want me to use weaker decks let me know. If you are high level and want me to use the best decks I have let me know that as well. Thanks.

That might be so, but the overall game (compared to Gwent) seems to have that kind of Pokemon look to it, alike to Heartstone. It just looks messy and chaotic.. Perhaps I'm just too old.. (animations also look too fast).. That I could not pay attention to what was going on, without missing half of it.

Not saying it's a bad game or that people should rather play Gwent, but I could never consider that game, due to exactly what I describe, even if it was a better meta game than Gwent. I guess I am just too old (older than the Pokemon generation).

These are also my thoughts. Some things that younger people like are ugly as hell for me and silly for example these guys with swords that are bigger than thereself and women with monsterboobs in skimpy armor. Not that Gwent is completely free of it, but it is much less. But that's life :shrug:

Last edited:
These are also my thoughts. Some things that younger people like are ugly as hell for me and silly for example these guys with swords that are bigger than thereself and women with monsterboobs in skimpy armor. Not that Gwent is completely free of it, but it is much less. But that's life :shrug:

Ya not going to lie, I tried LoR and its like... Probably a fun game, but it feels like its trying to bring in people who really like the anime aesthetic and... Like I enjoyed DBZ when I was growing up, but that kind of flashy BS just hurts my eyes now. I am sure its REALLY hitting hard for allot of people and I am honestly really happy for anyone who is like, "YAAAA! THIS IS MY JAM!" But it is not mine.

If Gwent ever dies, I'm probably just going to go back to Magic as the closest CCG to Gwent from an ascetic stand point.

Call me shallow, but I want to open card packs and build decks full of cards I actually WANT too look at.

There are many people like myself out there who don't care about artwork at all. The enjoyment i get from card games is from the deckbuilding and actual gameplay. It doesn't matter if the artwork was scribbled by an 8 year old, it's all just aesthetic and not a great excuse to put the game down. I just want to be engaged, and be able to outsmart or be outsmarted. I get that depth a lot more from LoR than i do from Gwent.

You guys make it sound like people who are attracted to the game must be young weeaboos lol.
I'm not young either, and that's why I look past the bookcover for the actual meat of the game...

There are many people like myself out there who don't care about artwork at all. The enjoyment i get from card games is from the deckbuilding and actual gameplay. It doesn't matter if the artwork was scribbled by an 8 year old, it's all just aesthetic and not a great excuse to put the game down. I just want to be engaged, and be able to outsmart or be outsmarted. I get that depth a lot more from LoR than i do from Gwent.

You guys make it sound like people who are attracted to the game must be young weeaboos lol.
I'm not young either, and that's why I look past the bookcover for the actual meat of the game...

I'm 36. I don't see any problems with the artwork.

Trying it out and enjoying it so far. It feels quite tactical with the mana system, rounds of attack, choosing what to block and slow, fast and burst spells. There are some annoying and simply OP mechanics and spells, but of course this is only a beta. The artwork can be less cartoony for me, but the most important is the game play. This feels much more like an actual battle. The card draw RNG is deciding too much. They need to introduce a bit more mulligans.

Last edited:
Trying it out and enjoying it so far. It feels quite tactical with the mana system, rounds of attack, choosing what to block and slow, fast and burst spells. There are some annoying and simply OP mechanics and spells, but of course this is only a beta. The artwork can be less cartoony for me, but the most important is the game play. This feels much more like an actual battle. The card draw RNG is deciding too much. They need to introduce a bit more mulligans.
The draw RNG is pretty big but remember that RNG makes the game more dynamic instead of playing out the same over and over. Also at least you get 3 of each card.

Not everyone is apparently a fan of the artwork, but I do like the interconnectivity between cards, with regards to the lore. When you take time to explore the full artwork, you'll find a lot of references. Most are pretty obvious, but there are a few more obscure ones, like the one I've linked below. When you view the full artwork of Garen, you'll notice a reference to Cithria.

Garen.jpg

The draw RNG is pretty big but remember that RNG makes the game more dynamic instead of playing out the same over and over. Also at least you get 3 of each card.
There's so much stuff going on that this game really doesn't need much draw RNG to keep it dynamic. They can easily reduce it to make it more tactical. One draw and one mulligan each round.

There's so much stuff going on that this game really doesn't need much draw RNG to keep it dynamic. They can easily reduce it to make it more tactical. One draw and one mulligan each round.

I'm not sure if a mulligan every round is a good idea. I think it would lead to the same issues I have with Gwent where decks are so consistent that the game plays out too much the same and people can get their combo's off virtually every game.

Regardless if you haven't noticed yet there is a ton of decision making which means a ton of skill in this game regardless of the draw RNG.

Top Bottom