And that's it, I'm out.

+
So last month, I deleted the shortcut to Gwent from my desktop. I just got bored with seeing the same cards and mechanics. Completely lost all motivation to log in to complete the seasonal tree. Anyway, I got the notification about Journey, so I logged back in to see what has changed. Sadly, the only change for the better, it seems, was the new loading screen. The UI changes and Geralt trinket cosmetics just look like shit. Seriously, they're not that far removed from the visual appearence of the first Witcher game. The side scrolling for coin, board and leader skin doesn't seem to have done anything to declutter things. The plain, black background with green mist just emphasises the flaws in the visual design. FFS, CDPR, at least put a nice landscape picture as the background. Anyway, that already skewed me from going back in neutral to negative. The only thing left to do was play a few games.

And what a mistake that was. Everyone must have had the "Win X games as ST" quest, because that's was the majority of what I came up against in casual. That wouldn't have been so bad if there was something different. Sadly, it seems Harmony will enjoy a few more months in its long reign as a meta deck. Didn't even get a chance to see if row locked Steffan and Damien actually make a difference. I'm kind of leaning toward it being that NG just has to space it out if they don't have Bribery or some other way of cheating out a second defender. Realising that I just wasn't going to enjoy myself, I quit the game. By this point, I'd decided that a premium Journey pass was not something for me. The inability to sink time to get the next pass for free coupled with the fact that the meta hasn't really shaken up with the patch to freshen up the meta enough for me to play more frequently would have been a waste of money. That, and CDPR's level skip deal is not good value for money, considering MTGA includes a 10 level skip as a standard part of their season pass.

So I headed over to Reddit to see if anyone from CDPR had commented on why they felt this was a good way to move forward in their continuing HC beta but not a beta full release saga. I was quite surprised to see Burza had provided some statistics, and that something like 64% of the player base was not engaged enough with the game to gain any benefit under the previous Daily Crown system. That was about the point I realised Gwent and I have grown apart. I'm not sure we can reconcile at this point. I mean when the official thinking is that the monetization system is part of the reason people aren't playing enough, it seems there's no hope that they'll ever acknowledge that Gwent has some serious flaws in its dna that leads to the game being repietitive, boring and stale. On top of that, the UI and 3D asthetics of the game being completely at odds with the cards and 2D art. And finally, the abrupt departure from one monetisation strategy to another again feels like Gwent still hasn't figured out what it wants to be when it finally grows up. So that's it. I'm out. and this time, I'm not sure an expansion or overhaul of the rewards system will bring me back.

Now they are pushing player to buy Premium season pass by reducing the amount of crowns you can get only playing the game. They want to Milk New players came from mobile. Ive totally lost my all motivation to play this game.

Now they are pushing player to buy Premium season pass by reducing the amount of crowns you can get only playing the game. They want to Milk New players came from mobile. Ive totally lost my all motivation to play this game.
It sure seems that way if the tracksuit Geralt cosmetics are any indication. Breaking that hard from the witcher theme clearly shows they are looking more at players who don't care about the aesthetics of the world the game is set in. Admittedly things like Santa Crach and the Lunar New Year stuff skirted close to the boundary, but they don't look that out of place.

As for the limits, it beats me why they just don't adapt the system Riot is using in LoR. You get your biggest bonuses in your first 3 wins and then it scales down to nothing by the time you get about 30 wins. Even the daily quests are based around that. That's a very fair way of doing things, since everyone, no matter how much free time or motivation they have, is able to get ahead, without grinding or feeling forced to pay for progress. In turn, that helps monetisation, since players feel better about spending money in the game.

As for the limits, it beats me why they just don't adapt the system Riot is using in LoR. You get your biggest bonuses in your first 3 wins and then it scales down to nothing by the time you get about 30 wins.

LOR also already started to slightly change. I guess after Beta they will also look for more menetization, which is completely fine. The game can`t be completely for free and you need income to finance it somehow. A season pass seems to be a valid approach.
Honestly, a year ago I would have bought one for Gwent, but each time I thing I might enjoy the game again it changes to its worse without anyone learning from Gwent Team.

I would have communicated far earlier that they want to implement a season pass including a yourney. Is it really so difficult to communicate before a change?! I guess their marketing as still a lot of improvement potential :shrug: .

Anyway, let´s look at their strong side, singple player games :beer:
At least we might get an additional witcher title ;).

RapkaV

Forum regular
Evangium, I feel you, bro. I quit this game few month before cause of those meta decks...Stubborn deck creation where you go in internet and copy someones deck then you climb to pro rank and you call yourself pro? Lineaire matches where you don't have space to create your tactics cause of poisons,seize, destroying lock units etc...Whatever you do in the end it will be the same.
When it came out on phone I gave a try and kinda finally created my own deck where I can win with my own unseen strategies, BUT THEN....update came and "ah s**t, here we go again"

Guest 4368268

It's a shame to see you and so many others that were around at Gwents' inception go. But I perfectly understand it.
Myself I play for a period of a couple of weeks and then lose interest for a few months again. The developers seem unsure about all the essential directions bar one, 'Homecoming was a great idea and its fundamentals shouldn't be questioned.'

When in my opinion that's the one thing that ought to be examined and in many ways reverted. Not that I'm asking for OB Gwent to 'come back' I get that they've left that direction and they have to largely stick with the current course. But there was a lot of good in OB Gwent that could return over time if they wanted it to. Keep the good of Homecoming, change the bad.
Based on the amount of changes that have occurred since the start of HC, they do admit Homecoming had/has a lot of bad.
But I'll give it credit that it improved the spies and coinflip situation for the better. Unfortunately though, that's about all the credit I really can give it in terms of gameplay.

I can live with the silly cosmetics of Geralt in a furry outfit or Vernon Roche in a kimono. But the gameplay changes (the 'dumbing down' in particular) are what's left me so sour about HC. Steps forward have been made since November 18', but there's still a long way to go. I understand they wanted the game to be accessible to the newcomers, but it would have been regardless.

Myself and the people I played Gwent with back then learned to play soon enough because it was compelling and fun. The amount there was to learn made me eager to learn it. Learning to play consume or Ciri dash well took some time, but it wasn't rocket science. I can't guess as to what the average 'mobile gamer' IQ is, but CDPR must be under the impression it's not very high. :shrug:

Anyway, as far as what you said about checking the Gwent Reddit page goes, you will not find any useful information there period. Criticism (no matter how benign) gets flooded with hostility. As a result most of the older Gwent audience has left there. Check Twitter/Youtube/CDPR Forum reactions compared to the Reddit ones and you'll get the dynamic soon enough. Unfortunately, Reddit seems to be their main focus when it comes to communication. Which is understandable cause 1. there's a lot of people there and 2. they are very milquetoast and cautious to critique even when necessary which makes it a comfortable place for a developer.

Myself I play for a period of a couple of weeks and then lose interest for a few months again.
Man... this is exactly same for me. I am playing this game for couple of weeks and losing my whole interest at some point and not even taking a look at it for months. It is exactly because of playing and seeing same decks for weeks. Whenever i play, there are 2-3 god tier decks and everyone is just netdecking. Game is always imbalanced. If there were no imba decks we could still achieve many things with our own decks but unfortunately whenever i play the game i encounter bunch of imba decks. And it bores me in no time.

And another thing is they just added exactly same models from Witcher 3 to Premium Pass. Not special work. So i also find these cosmetics pretty boring because i've already seen them for hundreds of hours. They even couldnt manage to fix simple bugs over 2 weeks so far. I started to feel this game is kinda abondened.

Last edited:
Criticism (no matter how benign) gets flooded with hostility.

I'm on board with the other posters here that the game is just feels like it is not going anywhere. I wanted to highlight @Nathan277 's point because I think that is a key problem. Every time someone criticizes the game, the response is always something like "gotta support the developers" or "you're not a true fan" or "No, I personally like that functionality so it must be great". This game is not very popular (there is only like 500 people watching it on Twitch right now) so something has to be done or it won't be around for long. Criticisms should be encouraged! Then distilled and passed on to the developer to fix asap.

Every time someone criticizes the game, the response is always something like "gotta support the developers" or "you're not a true fan" or "No, I personally like that functionality so it must be great". This game is not very popular (there is only like 500 people watching it on Twitch right now) so something has to be done or it won't be around for long. Criticisms should be encouraged! Then distilled and passed on to the developer to fix asap.
Few days back, i critisized poorly designed ranking system by opening new thread. Mod immediately arrived and locked the thread and copy paste my message on a thread opened 3 years ago saying same suggestion made here. 3 YEARS AGO. Of course nothing happened. No one cares ranking system is stupid af, meta is full of imba decks, game is completely repetitve, patch has dozens of bugs. I really cant grasp how streamers can bear playing this garbage for years. I can bear it few weeks at most then going months of hiatus and waiting somethings to change. They must be paid really well to stay stream probably.

As a player coming from Hearthstone, I must say that GWENT online best rewards F2P players the best.

If you have even played Hearthstone, you will know how hard is it to even have fun playing casual decks if you don't spend a dime.

I bought the premium pass. But that's it. I just play the game to my hearts content. Only about 2 weeks in, Im ranked 8 atm, having two fully functional decks of my own design (don't even follow what people call meta). Which is good, because it's less predictable and people always get caught off guard.

Last edited:
I took a break from the game for 9 months, but I never removed the Desktop icon. I guess I'm too lazy for that.
To avoid being spammed with notifications related to the game, I unfollowed a couple of Gwent-streamers.

Coming back after almost one year I find the game improved. I enjoy deckbuilding again. My ladder experience is good, I met not-too-many SY decks, quite some ST and NG and now an increasing amount of NR. In lower ranks there is variety.

Did I write that the game improved?
It's probably not an accurate description of what happened. I guess, I missed the game more than I want to admit. My favourite iteration of Gwent remains Beta Gwent: with strengthening mechanics, CiriDash shenanigans and crazy old reveal.

I can only agree with Nathan277...
Not that I'm asking for OB Gwent to 'come back' I get that they've left that direction and they have to largely stick with the current course. But there was a lot of good in OB Gwent that could return over time if they wanted it to. Keep the good of Homecoming, change the bad.
Based on the amount of changes that have occurred since the start of HC, they do admit Homecoming had/has a lot of bad.
But I'll give it credit that it improved the spies and coinflip situation for the better. Unfortunately though, that's about all the credit I really can give it in terms of gameplay.

Top Bottom