GWENT is now available on Steam!

+
Logging into Steam might retro-actively trigger some achievements, but there is no way to actually transfer them.
I have 96% in GOG, and in steam i still have no achievent for complete tutorial (and idk how i can complete tutorial second time)

Can i just use another gog account for unlocking once-unlockable achievements? Or i can't link more than one account in steam gwent version?

I cannot say for sure because I do not know the details. But it's definitely worth a try. With other games, your Steam account isn't directly linked. Instead, it uses the account from whichever user is currently logged into Steam. However, this might not be the case for Gwent.

I cannot say for sure because I do not know the details. But it's definitely worth a try. With other games, your Steam account isn't directly linked. Instead, it uses the account from whichever user is currently logged into Steam. However, this might not be the case for Gwent.
Thanks

Wish we could sync the playtime with Steam so it would be at the top of my game list, still sticking with GOG Galaxy for actually playing the game on PC, see no reason why I should switch to Steam from a superior client that has all my other PC clients linked in one.

Hopefully this move will get some Steam only holdout to try out the game as well and realize its one of the best CCG on the market.

Also likely to spend more on the game now that I can use Steam money on stuff that I have stuck in my Steam account :D

Last edited:
I was using AppleID to log in to the game on iOS, not the GOG account. What should I do to synchronize with steam?

I wanted to give feedback and the CDPR website redirected me here. So I don't know if any of the team will see this. BUT Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I just installed the game on Steam last night and I am having a blast! You guys are the best ever. The Steam community has been waiting for Gwent for years now and I'm glad its here.

It’s ironic you say that because CDPR owns GOG. The last thing they want is for you to take any step in making it harder to buy their game’s. This move suggests Gwent is not doing well.

No it doesn't. The fact of the matter is: if you haven't played Gwent on GOG or your phone by now, you're most likely not going to. So with this release they're merely targeting the Steam players that religiously play on that platform alone and complain about installing other platforms. That group of people is larger than I thought.

The game's also quite free, so no royalties there. Any revenue they make from sales in-game is a bonus, as those people wouldn't have played anyway.

No it doesn't. The fact of the matter is: if you haven't played Gwent on GOG or your phone by now, you're most likely not going to. So with this release they're merely targeting the Steam players that religiously play on that platform alone and complain about installing other platforms. That group of people is larger than I thought.

The game's also quite free, so no royalties there. Any revenue they make from sales in-game is a bonus, as those people wouldn't have played anyway.

I couldn’t disagree more. The game hasn’t been mobile that long. App Store, google play, etc... are plenty of platforms to expand the player base. The added value of Gwent is that it got people to download GOG. Any sales on GOG is money in CDPRs pockets. Now people don’t need to download/use GOG. This is bad for CDPR overall.

Nunc

Forum regular
I find it wholly mistaken to say that making Gwent available on the more mainstream platforms is anything other than NORMAL.

I'm more worried for GOG than Gwent. Either way, they're doing alright and just doing their best to compete without losing themselves in the process.

They may have fought for too long against Steam since they had their own thing. That's understandable. People do that when they have options, especially when they have something that is uniquely theirs. Now, it's a tradeoff between a (bit) larger share in the profits from owning the platform vs. more visibility and players. Gwent wins with it, GOG surely loses (not sure what the deal with Steam is for F2P games). Overall, it might be better for CDPR.

It was just meant to happen. For some, Steam is more convenient. For everyone, Steam just has more people. They learned a very hard lesson with Thronebreaker (THAT seemed desperate) and I'm surprised they're only doing the Steam release now!

Gwent on Steam should be seen as a result of much thought and testing, it's simply CONSOLIDATION of the platforms that make sense for the game. Cutting consoles, favoring mobile (Switch included), and being on the top PC platforms (Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk on Epic too, Gwent may follow) - all perfect decisions.

Gwent on Steam means they are ALREADY PROMOTING, even though more is necessary. They've been doing it mildly in different ways and will have that opportunity repeatedly going forward: 1) expansions; 2) journey/pass; 3) esports; 4) patch changes/content/events (and possible tie-ins with Netflix for years). But you can't market yourself if you're not in the market first. Now they are.

Gwent on Steam means they are ALREADY POLISHING the product more, being compared to what exists on other platforms and accountable to 3rd parties. They're fixing the worst bugs quickly, and bugs are always fun and memorable anyway, every game has them. Their plan for this year is to iterate and polish the game's systems and visuals. Skins and animations currently underway, arena revamp already promised sometime soon.

You need a mature product to be in this situation. What you're seeing lately is the game setting up systems to sustain itself and bring revenue in the long run. Content has been coming (seasonal trees, journey, 2x/year expansions) and it does seem they are putting their production pipeline in place for the future, pandemics nonwithstanding.

See this more like them releasing their precious child out into the world once and for all, as a grown-up! Always keep in mind this is a learning process for CDPR and it has been great since Gwent definitely is an unique accomplishment in its combination of game design and flavor!

/anti-rant out! :D

Last edited:
OK, so why not release it on Steam earlier? Like, much MUCH earlier. Gwent was released on closed beta at the end of 2016, it has been released on consoles, which have a much stricter code and regulations to have content approved for release, it has been released on mobile, which required tremendous effort and changes to the game to accomodate the limited hardware of those platforms...

And only now on Steam, which requires pratically no changes, same as PC version on GOG and has the largest PC playerbase of all. Why only now then?

Being GOG exclusive on PC is probably what they have desired, because Steam takes a pretty ridiculous cut off the profits, but what I think they have realised is that it's too big of a hindrance for expanding the game. Steam's market share is simply too big.

I don't get the people saying this is a desperate move. The interest in the game has increased steadily thanks to the Witcher Netflix show and Android release. I myself am one of those new people who started playing around Christmas thanks to netflix.

I couldn’t disagree more. The game hasn’t been mobile that long. App Store, google play, etc... are plenty of platforms to expand the player base. The added value of Gwent is that it got people to download GOG. Any sales on GOG is money in CDPRs pockets. Now people don’t need to download/use GOG. This is bad for CDPR overall.

Perhaps you're right, but I doubt it if you see the growth curves some developers have shared. There has been mobile for months now, there's been the Netflix series, there's been the COVID-pandemic. If all these things haven't pushed people towards Gwent, what do you think will drive them towards it? I'm quite curious. There's always some people drifting towards games on a daily basis, but we're talking relatively (very) small amounts. The longer you wait with Steam release, the more people will pass up on it because they've found something different. There's another popular cardgame now that beat them to it and probably got a big part of the potential player base to flock to them.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Being GOG exclusive on PC is probably what they have desired, because Steam takes a pretty ridiculous cut off the profits, but what I think they have realised is that it's too big of a hindrance for expanding the game. Steam's market share is simply too big.

I don't get the people saying this is a desperate move. The interest in the game has increased steadily thanks to the Witcher Netflix show and Android release. I myself am one of those new people who started playing around Christmas thanks to netflix.

I said it might be a desperate move. To grab new players. I'll justify:

Gwent has been released on iOS and Android on the past 7 months. Those markets are probably even bigger than Steam, and they definitely brought a LOT of new players to the game. However, CDPR doesnt release active user numbers, and releasing Gwent on Steam without prior notice and just shortly after Android might be an indicator that the surge of new players coming from mobile didnt stay with the game and they're already in need of boosting those numbers in some way.

It was not a signal, or a desperate move. I already mentioned this post before, but here it is in an image:
1590127049022.png

Been keeping my eyes on the steam top 100 games list. Did not see Gwent there for the first several days but today I spot it for the first time. The current number of concurrent players might be meagre but the fact that the game is climbing even a week after release is good news, and will probably continue to climb in the coming weeks.

Advertising the free expansion on the main page, once that day comes, would probably help the game out even more.

Top Bottom