Roleplaying VS MinMaxing in Cyberpunk: Discussion

+
Out of curiosity, did you play on console or PC? Because I dont remember this happening to me, although my playtime with W3 is limited.

ps. In the original post you didnt mention your position nor other details, so it could've been you just didnt dodge the enemy attacks. Thats why I was dismissive at first.
PC, and your right, I understand I should have included more detail.

I disagree, I never did min maxing for ego in any video game, and I think myself and many others have always done it because the game essentially forces the player (not cyberpunk, just games in general that have min-maxing done in certain ways) to either use min-maxing, or be ineffective or less effective in battles or other forms of game play. It's sort of like this horrible feeling of being guided and funneled into a set of choices that are more effective, but less fun. (like skyrim, and many many other games)
"Less fun" is a matter of opinion.
You don't "need" the best skills/gear, you "want" them.

For me it is not necessarily about the challenge, it's about creating more roleplaying possibilities. For example, when playing Mass Effect, I chose a Colonist background and decided that it would be cool that my Shepard is mainly diplomatic, but he hates slavery (because the Colonist background was captured by slavers as a kid) so he kills everyone involved in abuse/kidnapping of others (like Garrus' ME1-loyalty quest-nemesis Dr. Saleon).
In Mass Effect this decision could have locked me out of certain quests. But in Cyberpunk, I hope there will be enough other options to solve them.

Depends on difficulity to an extent in RPGs. For really hard mode min-max is essential to survive, for normal role play can be a bit more relaxed, but even there you will eventually optimize to an extent.

"Less fun" is a matter of opinion.
You don't "need" the best skills/gear, you "want" them.
EXACTLY. This supports my argument 100%. Fun is something that sometimes many people can agree about, but often there are also people who disagree on what is fun and what is not fun. That is 100% understood and obvious, Okay.

You may not always "need" the best skills/gear, but sometimes you actually do because certain things may be extremely difficult or impossible without them. However, in the situations where they are only simply a "want" and not a "need" This does not automatically mean that every "want" is automatically an "ego" based want. Does something exist inside the game? Yes. Does it look really cool and make me feel like I will have more fun and increase my immersion? Yes. Okay well I want that skills/gear because I know I will have more fun. Maybe not everyone wants that, but it's an option in game, and I'm one of the people who wants to experience it. They put it into the game after all, they must know that some amount of people would really like it, they wouldn't put it in for no reason right? Maybe it's just realistic to the video game's lore. The point is, just because someone else thinks that something I want is less fun or not fun, or based on ego or pride, doesn't mean that this is what I am actually thinking, and my reasons may be different than someone else thinks. There are many different points of view, it's a very big beautiful and diverse world we live in.

Edit: to clarify, most games that forced me to min-max, in my opinion were not fun. I have yet to truly experience a game that lets me choose whatever I want, and allows me to min-max of my own free will without any limitations, so that I am able to do and choose what I want, but for fun reasons where I just felt like it, simply because it makes me happy.

Last edited:
I like roleplaying characters who are way better in all aspects than I am as a person. You know, stronger faster smarter cooler...killing the bad guys and not going to prison. Role playing, lol.

I like roleplaying characters who are way better in all aspects than I am as a person. You know, stronger faster smarter cooler...killing the bad guys and not going to prison. Role playing, lol.
Video games are an excellent escapist fantasy. I love video games that give the player freedom without limitations and let me just have FUN you know? When I play a game that limits me, I'm always like "Seriously, I play games to get AWAY from stuff like this" :D

right? right? I know right. :)

Top Bottom