Nobody Seems To Be Raving About FPP

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read a few 1st impression articles from people who played the game. Is anybody saying the game is great in FPP? That they wish they could see their character? A lot of controversy with that decision, just curios why its not being pointed out. (It looks good to me btw)

I've read a few 1st impression articles from people who played the game. Is anybody saying the game is great in FPP? That they wish they could see their character? A lot of controversy with that decision, just curios why its not being pointed out. (It looks good to me btw)
I like that they went with full first person perspective. I like it a lot. I understand why they made it important for immersion. I just sincerely hope there are many good opportunities where I am able to see myself, like a mirror in public bathrooms or something like that. I don't mind being in first person 99% of the time, but I would like some chances to really see myself from all angles if it's possible, but it's up to CDPR you know, I trust them on this one. Maybe V can wear vr glasses that are connected to a hovering little camera drone that flies around V, granting them third person perspective, and allowing them to take very nice pictures, mid movement like running through the city or wilderness? Essentially an in game-full-cannon lore-accurate method of achieving third person?

Alanah Pearce had a good point about the cramped and claustrophobic nature of the environments and how the city is designed: having a 3rd person perspective would be a nightmare for the camera in spaces that tight. which is something i didn't notice before but makes absolute sense now. some of those spaces simply defy logical 3rd person camera positioning in the architectural space of the environment they're designing.

Ramzah

Forum regular
Alanah Pearce had a good point about the cramped and claustrophobic nature of the environments and how the city is designed: having a 3rd person perspective would be a nightmare for the camera in spaces that tight. which is something i didn't notice before but makes absolute sense now. some of those spaces simply defy logical 3rd person camera positioning in the architectural space of the environment they're designing.
They could have allowed switching between cameras with mouse scroll wheel and lock camera to FPP in tight spaces.

They could have allowed switching between cameras with mouse scroll wheel and lock camera to FPP in tight spaces.

Game development - or any software development for that matter - doesn't work based on just switching features on and off. Implementing such an option in their engine - which they had to rebuild already - would mean extra weeks/months of additional development and testing. And the game was already delayed twice. Imagine adding more to that delay.

I really don't understand the people still upset about this. I used to be so anti-FP too before I played my first real FP game (COD lol and Fallout 3) there's something magical about FP games. The FPP is super immersive- I can't imagine CP in TP now! I love that we'll be able to see V in reflections/in and out of vehicles and when we open menu. It's not like you're gunna forget what your character looks like. Instead you're gunna be soaking up the world CDPR created.

It would look wonky in TP tbh

I really don't understand the people still upset about this. I used to be so anti-FP too before I played my first real FP game (COD lol and Fallout 3) there's something magical about FP games. The FPP is super immersive- I can't imagine CP in TP now! I love that we'll be able to see V in reflections/in and out of vehicles and when we open menu. It's not like you're gunna forget what your character looks like. Instead you're gunna be soaking up the world CDPR created.

It would look wonky in TP tbh
I am biased towards FPP because I've been an FPS fan since... forever, I guess. This post is exactly why I enjoy and love FPP in video games.

Sure, sometimes the immersion is not the most important thing for whatever reason. Take DOOM Eternal for example - there is no need for immersion or anything like that, you just pew pew stuff and jump and whatever.

Yet, FPP in such games allows a bit more freedom in terms of level design, I think. That way the world can be constructed both with huge open areas that you're free to roam, AND with close and tight spaces where no playermodel blocks the view on any details. And, well, yeah, if you wanna go for immersion during the exploration sessions.

Also, I think the first-person perspective is a neat choice story-wise because it allows you, the player, experience the story of V first-hand. You're not watching a movie, not playing an avatar - you are both a facilitator and a spectator at the same time. You tell V what to say, but they'll say it in their own way, you'll make decisions and guide V there, but it's them who are responsible for that, and yet you're the one doing the driving, fighting and what not.

And all this beauty is presented to you through V's eyes. Beautiful.

I’m very happy it’s in FPP. I’m not against third prison either but FP is king for immersion, Skyrim, fallout etc I played all in FP. I want to imagine myself in this universe. This stuff is my escape and downtime. I want to be transported to another world and be something else for a time.

Game development - or any software development for that matter - doesn't work based on just switching features on and off. Implementing such an option in their engine - which they had to rebuild already - would mean extra weeks/months of additional development and testing. And the game was already delayed twice. Imagine adding more to that delay.
But technically speaking, from the first person perspective view of V's eyes, V is viewing other NPC's from a perspective exterior to those NPC's points of view, essentially the NPC's simulated eyes. So technically speaking, Cyberpunk2077 is third person perspective, but V is in the game viewing everyone else's third person perspective through V's first person view.
I don't think it's impossible to zoom out, or requiring some massive engine overhaul that would take months, considering the fact that when V goes on a motorcycle or gets inside a car, that there is a third person view possible. I'm not trying to say if it should be in the game or not, I'm saying that It's obvious that it is not only possible, but in some form already exists.

You tell V what to say, but they'll say it in their own way
I really hope that all the dialogue options that I am able to select are a literal exact 1:1 copy of what V will actually say. Every time I play a game that has dialogue options, whenever I select an option, it says one thing in the text, and then the character will say something completely different, and often contradicting the option that I chose. This is very often a frustrating issue I have, so I sincerely really hope that the dialogue will give an option, and then say exactly what the player selected. :shrug:
Post automatically merged:

I'm fairly sure you can get a detailed look at your character any time you feel like it in the inventory screen.
True, but also hopefully more than just that. But if not, I guess I could live with it, but I would be a little bit uncomfortable. But I rather be uncomfortable and have amazing character customization, than have no, or very little customization because that would be a much worse feeling. If character customization gets dropped or nerfed just because I can't see my character often, I feel like that would be enough to make me decide to not buy the game anymore. :giveup:

you don't see your character as part of the game world on a static inventory screen. might aswell take a picture of V, print it out, frame it and put it on your desk to look at it whenever you want.
I sincerely find it very hard to believe that the character screen is the only place we will be able to see ourselves. I heard rumors of a camera system of some kind, (not the drone idea I mentioned) maybe V can take pictures or videos of themselves? We already know about car/motorbike third person, and maybe I'm guessing, maybe maybe there might be mirrors somewhere, like in bathrooms in public or at home? I'm just guessing.

i was listening to alanah pearce talking about the game and she mentioned she saw her V once during 4 hours of gameplay. the character creation is pretty much pointless.
I keep hearing this over and over again like an echo. This same sentence constantly being repeated endlessly in the Cyberpunk2077 forums.

Because perspective is insignificant if you enjoying the game :shrug:
It's not that it's insignificant, it's just that it's so good that you almost don't notice it, like finding a really good quality pack of underwear that fits good. Basically just sort of forget it's there, because it's good quality, good size, and just works without any problems. :shrug:

Last edited:
I am biased towards FPP because I've been an FPS fan since... forever, I guess. This post is exactly why I enjoy and love FPP in video games.

Sure, sometimes the immersion is not the most important thing for whatever reason. Take DOOM Eternal for example - there is no need for immersion or anything like that, you just pew pew stuff and jump and whatever.

Yet, FPP in such games allows a bit more freedom in terms of level design, I think. That way the world can be constructed both with huge open areas that you're free to roam, AND with close and tight spaces where no playermodel blocks the view on any details. And, well, yeah, if you wanna go for immersion during the exploration sessions.

Also, I think the first-person perspective is a neat choice story-wise because it allows you, the player, experience the story of V first-hand. You're not watching a movie, not playing an avatar - you are both a facilitator and a spectator at the same time. You tell V what to say, but they'll say it in their own way, you'll make decisions and guide V there, but it's them who are responsible for that, and yet you're the one doing the driving, fighting and what not.

And all this beauty is presented to you through V's eyes. Beautiful.
Oh I love the "Clean House" mission in MW. You're totally in the moment and it would be a completely different and less cool experience in TP. Imagine what COD would be like if it was TP. When people grab the character, when the character falls or gets shot (those big scenes in campaign).

Imagine when V's drunk, high, getting hacked into. That's going to be super cool lol. You could never convey that as well in TP.

Can I add that we never see ourselves IRL unless we're looking in the mirror or whatever lol.

The main reason is that discussion about this topic is practically forbidden. New threads of FPP vs TPP will be locked.
The game is FPP and thats all there is to it.

i was listening to alanah pearce talking about the game and she mentioned she saw her V once during 4 hours of gameplay. the character creation is pretty much pointless.
Why do you bother do your hair a certain way or buy and wear a specific type of clothing if you can't yourself wear it all the time? Or wear that tight fitting pair of pants if you can't see your find ass swing back and forth as you walk.

Sild

Ex-moderator
The main reason is that discussion about this topic is practically forbidden. New threads of FPP vs TPP will be locked.
The game is FPP and thats all there is to it.

Yes, they will. It's something people are very passionate about and also very polarized about, thus it usually ends with people being mean to each other when they otherwise wouldn't be. As such it's a forbidden discussion. This thread isn't quite there yet, but it might be closed sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom