Make cyberpsychosis affecting V an option

+
Another thing brought up and further confirmed in the latest August issue of Gamestar magazine's hands-on report is that cyberpsychosis won't affect V whatsoever.

Again, for all the wrong reasons, citing it just being an alternate Game Over state or that, if the pen&paper treatment mechanic was a thing in-game, it would be tedious busy-work and once again, NOT FUN to visit a respective therapist.

The second argument aside (cyberpsychosis treatment never(?) having been implemented as a mechanic in the first place) - what's wrong with completely falling to cyberpsychosis being an alternate Game Over state?
In addition to the standard ones, like having a couple bullets embedded in the cranium or being decapitated by an enemy's katana?

I'm aware there'd be more to it than just adding cyberpsychosis to the list of already existing Game Over states for V, but it shouldn't be that complicated to implement as something you'd have to take into account when installing/upgrading cyberware either.
The necessary prerequisites and factors (humanity cost value assigned to every piece of cyberware (as seen in 2018's 48 minutes gameplay demo) for setting a threshold should still be there (in earlier builds), so why not put it to use and with cyberpsychosis (potentially) affecting everyone, including V, add yet another layer of immersion.

And if you don't want to subject everyone to it - how about making it an optional difficulty modifier either available to enable on all difficulties or exclusive to the highest difficulty?
Would make for the neat extra challenge of having to balance out your installed cyberware and paying attention to not cross the threshold leading into full-on cyberpsychosis. In the end it would just be another fade-to-black Game Over screen ("You have succumbed to cyberpsychosis"), and what's wrong with that?

If Geralt could over-dose on potions (and die), why shouldn't V be able to "over-dose" on cyberware, respectively?

Last edited:
While being too late to wish/ask for anything added in the game now, I agree on the subject.

There are interesting things to do with this mechanic, like getting "forced" into a mission where you got kidnapped and your brain got stuffed in a cyber body [for reasons]. You have 24 hours of game time to recover your original body and get back into it. This would be a good introduction to cyberpsychosis, with specific symptoms appearing on V as the time goes by.

Also, while in the game you always know what you spent in total of Humanity points, you still could overload yourself in cyber-stuff and take the risk of getting symptoms until death. Some symptoms first (sometimes it can be bodyparts malfunction, visual flashes, audio hallucinations, chosing the worst answer in dialogues...), leading to a game over. But the "cyberpsychosis timer" is always unknown and between two values (example : 24 hours to 48 hours).

This could let the player some time to do whatever they want in the meantime, taking a risk for it (for profit, for fun... whatever they please), and each time they cyber themselves over the limit, timer divides by half.

While being too late to wish/ask for anything added in the game now, I agree on the subject.

There are interesting things to do with this mechanic, like getting "forced" into a mission where you got kidnapped and your brain got stuffed in a cyber body [for reasons]. You have 24 hours of game time to recover your original body and get back into it. This would be a good introduction to cyberpsychosis, with specific symptoms appearing on V as the time goes by.

Not true to base material.

I meant: Cyberpunk 2077 lore is based on Cyberpunk 2020 Tabletop RPG lore, and your example contradict said lore.

Leia I Know.gif

I'd rather they focus on trying to limit the things on the cutting room floor than implementing this optional feature. The reason being is that this will be something that can easily be modded in later, or you can artificially limit it yourself if you want to RP it in your gameplay.

In the end it would just be another fade-to-black Game Over screen ("You have succumbed to cyberpsychosis"), and what's wrong with that?

If Geralt could over-dose on potions (and die), why shouldn't V be able to "over-dose" on cyberware, respectively?
Good points, especially the Geralt one. He knows the risks but can be forced to overdose, so why should the same not apply to V? Would certainly be interesting.

Also, I bet there would be a "Succumb to cyberpsychosis" speedrun category, which would be hilarious. :p

Like in "Make believe"?

Yep, the game won't force you to get cybernetic implants if you don't wish to install them. I'll probably do a playthrough where I build a character for netrunning for example, so I won't bother with installing cybernetic gorilla arms or cardiovascular implants because it doesn't really fit with the character plus maybe the base stats won't even support those modifications anyway. Limiting the number of cybernetic implants is already optional, so nothing is stopping people from playing how they want to play. Thus, I'd rather CDPR focus on not having to cut things that actually add to the city like trains, or implement interesting new gameplay features like wall-running.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Are some cybernetic implants mandatory?

They've said in the past that some are. That you have to periodically check in for a ripperdoc for "story reasons"; for things to progress. The one in the 2018 demo was one of those.

If that's not the case anymore, if it has been implied that there are no mandatory cybeerwear, that'd be good news.

They've said in the past that some are. That you have to periodically check in for a ripperdoc for "story reasons"; for things to progress. The one in the 2018 demo was one of those.

If that's not the case anymore, if it has been implied that there are no mandatory cybeerwear, that'd be good news.

Ok, please disregard that statement then. I don't have a source to back up that we won't have to install any modifications, I just thought it to be the case.

Top Bottom