Shieldwall Hotfix Waiting Room.

+

rrc

Forum veteran
Lets be real. Shieldwall getting Hotfixed with a week or two is inevitable. There are so many engines in NR which are super bloody strong and their only weakness was their fragility. Vysogota, Anna, Odo, Ildiko, Priscilla and the duel cards Anseis, and to some extent Seltkirk (Shieldwalled Ildiko + Seltkirk tutored by AA getting Zeal and +5 for Duel). I can't imagine the nightmare this leader ability will bring. Tesham Mutna will be auto-included in most decks to counter this leader, but what about the other two charges?

So, lets discuss what kind of Hotfix will be released for Shieldwalll. Things I can think of:
1) Provision changed to 11P
2) Charges reduced to 2
3) Anseis provision changed to 11 (or) power reduced to 3 (or) Formation Removed
4) Shield changed to Armor
5) Appply Shield to bronze cards

One or few of the above we can expect. People who want to get the placement done for NR in pro rank will do in first week increasing the play rate of NR Shieldwall to ridiculous amount and will crush anyone except NR.

It's truly strange when the dev himself says this is most likely the strongest ability, well don't you think it should be toned down a bit then?
Don't they realize that shielding a duel unit will have it remove anything in the game? Twice if coupled with Viraxis?
This will get real ugly.

I'm thinking just shield no boost and 2 charges but even then it could be really strong..

Tesham Mutna will be auto-included in most decks
:giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup:

other than that, yeah it seems really strong and tailor-made for NR. all of a sudden vysogota, ildiko, even belohun look pretty decent. even with only 1 boost this ability has a lot of potential in NR. I think it's pretty funny that in the stream they seemed to think it would somehow revive a shield archetype in NR, when it will probably be close to the same list as before with a new leader

Easha

Forum regular
Let me suggest a more elegant Anseis solution: Just give him Veil and be done with it.
That aside, it will probably dominant, but I shall try it in some niche decks. Charges with Ildiko is something that might work with this and I will fool around with it as long as the patch is still young.
If they would use any of your suggestions, I do hope for #5.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
#5 would make the leader pointless. you can protect frigate but it already plays as a 7 with shield from AA so whats the point?
I honestly expect a nerf to vysogota. you play defender and next turn vyso with shield, even if the opponent can deal with your defender your vysogota is shielded and has already played for its provisions and will almost auto win the game if you have no answer (meaning you're not playing NG). the card should have 5 or 6 power and get one charge per turn to make it less binary imo. forgot to mention dandelion :cool:

If they wait 3 days they are clueless idiots. Let alone 2 weeks. This is going to get very ugly very fast. Turning it into veil won’t work either because now locks are helpless and the only way to beat NR is mass removal. The only way to fix this is to scrap shieldwall completely and bring in a different ability.

The easiest suggestion is to refresh an order unit and boost it by X. Very strong on duel and useful for some other cards. Kinda steals from evolution card, but what else can you do.

rrc

Forum veteran
I am an ST main and Guerilla Tactics is my most played leader ability. I am excited for the teeny tiny buff it got. I want to try and confirm my current assumptions that the new Harmony and Symbiosis will be a solid Tier 3. But I don't think I can unless this abomination is handled. It is going to be depressing to play against this leader and the only way I can think of is, just play this abonimation. NR is my second favorite faction, so, it wont be like I hate it and I play it.

But I believe NG can handle it pretty well with their locks, poison, vincent and yeninvo. Apart from NG, no other faction will be able to handle this leader. Not even the control from ST.

I am an ST main and Guerilla Tactics is my most played leader ability. I am excited for the teeny tiny buff it got. I want to try and confirm my current assumptions that the new Harmony and Symbiosis will be a solid Tier 3. But I don't think I can unless this abomination is handled. It is going to be depressing to play against this leader and the only way I can think of is, just play this abonimation. NR is my second favorite faction, so, it wont be like I hate it and I play it.

But I believe NG can handle it pretty well with their locks, poison, vincent and yeninvo. Apart from NG, no other faction will be able to handle this leader. Not even the control from ST.

NG being the only answer for Shieldwall is terrible for the meta. Not only will it narrow the playable decks substantially, but it will reinforce the “Who You Play, When You Play,” RNG of Gwent. The more luck you depend on in matchmaking the worse the game ends up being.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
What about changing the leader 100% and making it:
Every round, discard a card from your hand, then draw a card, then damage a random enemy by 1.
Might be too strong...

Sacrificial vanguard for NR would be kinda crazy. On the one hand the deck thinning would be really solid. On the other hand, using a draw deck against it would be really problematic for NR to handle.

NR has tons of self sustaining mid range engines. They have very efficient removal, they have unique key words like formation and inspiration which make them even harder to deal with. Add shield to this and good luck stopping them. It is hard enough with veil protecting several of them. Duel plus shield is instant removal. It is the worst parts of facing NG but with 10 point + potential from provisions 4, 5, and 6 cards as well as the higher provision cards. This is a total disaster and even the devs themselves know it. They know if they point out the obviously broken combos even the new players will see them. I promise you NR will be rampant and unstoppable by anyone but NG.

rrc

Forum veteran
Sacrificial vanguard for NR would be kinda crazy. On the one hand the deck thinning would be really solid. On the other hand, using a draw deck against it would be really problematic for NR to handle.

NR has tons of self sustaining mid range engines. They have very efficient removal, they have unique key words like formation and inspiration which make them even harder to deal with. Add shield to this and good luck stopping them. It is hard enough with veil protecting several of them. Duel plus shield is instant removal. It is the worst parts of facing NG but with 10 point + potential from provisions 4, 5, and 6 cards as well as the higher provision cards. This is a total disaster and even the devs themselves know it. They know if they point out the obviously broken combos even the new players will see them. I promise you NR will be rampant and unstoppable by anyone but NG.
I am 99.99% sure he was sarcastic :p

Guest 4368268

Strap in and get that easy 2500> mmr while you can. Yeah, this is obviously a recipe for disaster. Good thing the ol' Gwent traditional post-expansions/big patches is to run lockdown for the first few days ;) hopefully by then a hotfix is out.

Well, it has been a while since NR was in the position SK was in right after the MM expansion (being a tier 0.5 deck nothing else can compete with).

Looks like i'll have to play seasonal for one more week :cry:

While i like the changes to GS and Ethereal, the rest of the patch seems kind of ass-pulled to me. Especially all that unnecessary staff, like replacing some playable, off-meta, non-problematic leaders by new broken or useless leaders.

I just imagine CDPR team meeting looking at NR and somebody going, "Hey, I know! Let's give this faction Hidden Cache, but on STEROIDS! It'll be fine, right? Pfft, not like it'll be broken or anything." And everybody thinking about it for a while and starting to nod, "Yeah, that sounds reasonable. let's do that."

hahaha I love the creation of this thread before the patch is even live.

considering the amount of strong engines/duel/inspired units in NR, at the very least, it will need to be nerfed to something like:
- 2 charges instead of 3, or
- 1 charge available per round, so similar to hidden cache forces you to play out all 3 rounds

DRK3

Forum veteran
I said this on this forums (Shieldwall will be OP, hotfix in 1 week) the very minute it was revealed, watching the devstream live and commenting on it.

1. It makes sense for NR and not MO to have a leader ability related to shields. However, they are missing the big picture (again)

2. This leader ability wont be used to increase value on Roegner or other shield units. It will be used to give great protection to engines that are simply the best in the game (specially now that Ethereal and GS have been mega nerfed, the only other amazing engine outside NR is Saul)

3. Uprising, which i dont think is even that good, is already the most played NR ability by far, because a single 1pt buff can make all the difference. Now you're giving a direct upgrade - yes, Uprising gives a Scytheman and Shield Wall doesnt, but that Scytheman is not worth it, not when its more important to protect your valuable engines or getting an easy 12pt removal Anseis, no Radeyah required, and just 1 of 3 charges...

4. Again, the devs are kinda aware of how broken the ability will be and even joke about it instead of doing something, just like Slama did with Hidden Cache when it was announced, if i recall correctly. Its like they just want to make us suffer, complaining about a balance that they never wish to attain.

Yeah, the intent on giving support to Shield synergy is there, but this definitely won't be used for that.
Which has gotten me thinking, how would you make a Shield leader that's actually used for Shield reliant cards like Roegner and not just abused on stuff like Anseis instead? Is it even possible?

Yeah, the intent on giving support to Shield synergy is there, but this definitely won't be used for that.
Which has gotten me thinking, how would you make a Shield leader that's actually used for Shield reliant cards like Roegner and not just abused on stuff like Anseis instead? Is it even possible?

Make Anseis have Veil.
Voilá! You can purify him and add a shield if you want, but no leader-shield shenanigans.

Top Bottom