Kerack City Guard vs Vernossil's Commondo

+

rrc

Forum veteran
Both are 3 power and 5 provisions and boost self by 1 by turn end. One has Veil and an additional Utility of moving an enemy unit to other row and no condition; while the other has a condition that it can ONLY work if you control only elves (or play your key card) and no utility and no veil. Shouldn't commondo have better stats to it since it is too tied to one specific deck which can be shut down by many more means?

At least something like Bonded - Increase the boost to two or something. I know it is one of 100s of unplayable bad cards, but when the power creep is so real and evident with a exact similar card but with much better stats and utility, I couldn't help but create a new thread about this speicifically.

[Context: Recently I have been trying to make Deadeye Ambus (elves), Gurilla Tactics (movement and row punish), Call Of Harmony to work. Been experimenting and trying to optimize the decks and I can feel how much power crept every other archetypes of ST is and how much ST has been discriminated. Nature's Gift and Precision Strike are hard carrying ST with low-unit decks since bronze units of ST sucks big time.]

I was thinking about a similar thing just a day ago. Except I was comparing the KCG to the Wild Hunt Hound and thinking how KCG is basically so much more superior (unconditional +1 boost, veil, utility) to it while both are for 5 provision.

rrc

Forum veteran
From my perspective, one could argue that the elf tag is more valuable than the soldier tag.
Elf tag: Barnabas Beckenbauer boost, Aelirenn summon, Isengrim Faoiltiarna boost, Yaevinn extra damage, Vrihedd Vanguard boost
Soldier tag: Mobilization spawn, Viraxas boost, Crew synergies

Actually I am using them in my elf deck. Nevertheless, Vernossil´s Commando should to my mind still get power of 4.
Doesn't Veil+Utility (an amazing utility BTW) off set the elf tag by a mile? Barbanas is a bad example as in harmony deck Commando is utterly useless. Aelirenn summon will anyhow happen in an elf based deck which commondo has to be put in. I agree with Isengrim and Yaevinn, but still those are two gold cards which can work with any other elf too.

Have you ever wondered Vrihedd Vanguard is an anti-synergy with elf decks? In any elf focused deck you want to have sword master and when you play Vanguard, you are anyhow losing a point. I mean, playing after Swordmaster and Commond means the same thing in terms of points since anyhow by playing Vanguard a turn before basically offsets the points from other cards. I used to add vanguard in my elf deck, but currently I don't since it is kind of awkward to play Vanguard.

Good point. Kerack City Guard's abilities really would make more sense as a ST card.
Movement archetype is sorely lacking support yet NR got what's arguably the best movement card in the game for some unknown reason.
I'm really not too fond of this "give every faction similar tools" direction Gwent is heading in.

Lexor

Forum veteran
Please do not directly compare the cards from the different factions.

Even if they are very similar the whole environment they work with is not.

Doesn't Veil+Utility (an amazing utility BTW) off set the elf tag by a mile? Barbanas is a bad example as in harmony deck Commando is utterly useless. Aelirenn summon will anyhow happen in an elf based deck which commondo has to be put in. I agree with Isengrim and Yaevinn, but still those are two gold cards which can work with any other elf too.

Have you ever wondered Vrihedd Vanguard is an anti-synergy with elf decks? In any elf focused deck you want to have sword master and when you play Vanguard, you are anyhow losing a point. I mean, playing after Swordmaster and Commond means the same thing in terms of points since anyhow by playing Vanguard a turn before basically offsets the points from other cards. I used to add vanguard in my elf deck, but currently I don't since it is kind of awkward to play Vanguard.

Yes, I also think that Vernossiel´s Commando is too bad for 5 provisions. That´s why I suggested enhancing it´s strength to 4.

Actually, I was just searching for other arguments for this difference and what I found out is that elf tag is more valuable than soldier tag currently. For me Vernossiel´s commando only makes sense is elf swarm deck with deadeye ambush. Barnabas, is ineed a bad example, as you will never see Barnabas and Vernossiel´s commando in comptetitve decks

Elven Swordmaster antisynergy:
Well actually, there are many examples like that. Best starter for elf swarm is Elven Swordmaster when you are starting. If your swordmaster survives than you can use Aen Seidhe Sabre next round and trigger two dmg with him.
Nevertheless, you are not sure whether you have elven swordmaster in your hand and are the starter. If you are the starter it does not really matter whether you use Elven Swordmaster or Vanguard as a starter (If you face a opponent removal/poison deck I would recommend the poison deck).
To my mind, including Vanguard in your deck heavily depends on how elf focused your deck should be. Often Elf decks including me use Great Oak and of course the scenario, which potentially reduces the value of Vanguard. If you add more non-elfs the potential value is of course reduced further.

Regarding whether to include vernossiel´s commando or not you have to think about 5 p elf alternatives
Elven Swordmaster: to my mind must have in elf deck
Vrihedd Brigade: No valuable synergy, makes more sense in move based decks
Vrihedd Dragoon: Questionable, you can save your elven swordmaster and row attack your opponent
Vrihedd Sappers: Very important in current status driven meta. You can attack defenders, unpoison, unlock,...
Vrihedd Vanguard: Can be a 9 for 5 which is quite powerful
Dol Blathanna Archer: This is at max a 6 for 5 which is really garbage

Please do not directly compare the cards from the different factions.

Even if they are very similar the whole environment they work with is not.
What do you mean by that? Kerack doesn't require ANY environment to work.
Or are you implying elf decks are strong enough to have objectively weaker cards than NR? Because they're not.

Guest 4368268

Elf cards in general are seriously underwhelming. The provisions are high, base strength low and the abilities/pay off usually not even good/worth it. ST suffers from the same disease as most factions atm where one leader/deck is so strong that it's not even worth exploring the other options. ST is a good example of it when you compare Symbiosis with Dwarves, Elves and Harmony.

Elf cards in general are seriously underwhelming. The provisions are high, base strength low and the abilities/pay off usually not even good/worth it. ST suffers from the same disease as most factions atm where one leader/deck is so strong that it's not even worth exploring the other options. ST is a good example of it when you compare Symbiosis with Dwarves, Elves and Harmony.
Double Bone Talisman Elves are kinda okay, I daresay. MO do it better, sure, but it's decent. Vernossiel is questionable, but is okay as a part of swarm strat.

Meanwhile, Nilfgaard

Alba Pikemen: hold my beer
Nauzicaa Seargent: mine too

So I want to say that there are quite a lot of subpar engine. Take Northern Realms itself: why the hell would someone play Arbalest over Drummer or Kerack Guard?

The powercreep is real

Meanwhile, Nilfgaard

Alba Pikemen: hold my beer
Nauzicaa Seargent: mine too

So I want to say that there are quite a lot of subpar engine. Take Northern Realms itself: why the hell would someone play Arbalest over Drummer or Kerack Guard?

The powercreep is real

Arbalest can be awesome in a order based deck taking into account the removal potential. You can make an "order chain" and double benefit if you have Dandelion in play from his boost for orders.

Nevertheless, also Arbalest should have 4 power now.

Maybe if it was gaining power every 2nd of your turn instead of every your turn, and then allow the move utility to be used on a friendly unit too... Something like that might make it fair.
Hey... that would actually make it PERFECT!! :D

Last edited:
Maybe if it was gaining power every 2nd of your turn instead of every your turn, and then allow the move utility to be used on a friendly unit too... Something like that might make it fair.
Hey... that would actually make it PERFECT!! :D
imo it's good that NR has to pick siege ladder instead of a auto-include card if they want to move vysogota seltkirk etc back to the right row. the card is quite simply overtuned for a 5p. if it needed crew to boost every turn, it would be in line with similar cards but still have veil and the order effect on top.

Arbalest can be awesome in a order based deck taking into account the removal potential. You can make an "order chain" and double benefit if you have Dandelion in play from his boost for orders.

Nevertheless, also Arbalest should have 4 power now.
Ok, but then why is it midrange NR every season and not an order base deck?

Top Bottom