Tom's Hardware "Don't Trust Projekt Red system requirements"

+
They really should have listed resolution and FPS with the requirements.

Exactly, like Ubisoft did with Watchdogs
Post automatically merged:

The person who wrote that did not do his research.

The Support page clearly states what "minimum" and "recommended" mean. Plus, there was that tweet from Marcin that was linked somewhere, saying that more specs will be coming (4k I think was one he mentioned).

Don't trust everything you read on the internet.

One has to ask, why did CDPR just not do that the first time? In a way, the whole min req/recommended is a bit old school. They should have just done what Ubisoft did with Watchdogs Legion and give the requirements for the bare minimum all the way up to max 4K with RT and then have other settings in between such as 1440p/max/RT on etc.

msxyz

Forum regular
They really should have listed resolution and FPS with the requirements.
My thoughts too. It was expected that a good 4C/8T processor will suffice (but I also expect a slider to modify the NPC and traffic density as in The Witcher 3) but on the GPU front, the stated cards will be probably good only for a solid 30fps at high detail. The 2018 and 2019 ran on top of the line GPUs of their time; even a good optimization cannot do miracles.

Here's a better article for you, don't trust Tom's Hardware

Untitled.jpg

My thoughts: lol

Posted specs by CDPR are for 1080 with low/high settings, RTX off. And here they are suggesting specs for 4k RTX. Yes... if anybody wants to play at that resolution with all the eye candy on, they will obviously need something more than the recommended specs for 1080... that's a lot of article about nothing.
The person who wrote that did not do his research.

The Support page clearly states what "minimum" and "recommended" mean. Plus, there was that tweet from Marcin that was linked somewhere, saying that more specs will be coming (4k I think was one he mentioned).

Don't trust everything you read on the internet.
I gotta agree with these posts, you're both probably right. :think:

Here's a better article for you, don't trust Tom's Hardware

View attachment 11060831
(wait, what does this mean?)

"Probably, maybe even close to 45 fps on average. If correct, that's a pretty low bar for a gaming PC."

I absoululty disagree. 45fps on average is not only totally fine and all you need, but about what the majority of pc players will probably be able to run with their hardware.

Basically their conclusion is that if you want the best experience, get a RTX 3080. What are your thoughts?

oh really, if you want the best experiance you should buy the best currently available hardware. Great conclusion guys. But not everyone needs or has the capabilities for the "best experiance". And I do not think that you need the "best" experiance to have a good experiance. med-high settings @ 45 fps is totally fine, and is all that is "necessary"

This article is nothing but clickbait, really. Nothing but pcmr snobbiness. And I really hate all things "pcmr".

Last edited:
"Probably, maybe even close to 45 fps on average. If correct, that's a pretty low bar for a gaming PC."

I absoululty disagree. 45fps on average is not only totally fine and all you need, but about what the majority of pc players will probably be able to run with their hardware.

oh really, if you want the best experiance you should buy the best currently available hardware. Great conclusion guys. But not everyone needs or has the capabilities for the "best experiance". And I do not think that you need the "best" experiance to have a good experiance. med-high settings @ 45 fps is totally fine, and is all that is "necessary"

This article is nothing but clickbait, really. Nothing but pcmr snobbiness. And I really hate all things "pcmr".

How is it clickbait? To me it is an article aimed at managing expectations and giving you the detailed rundown since CDPR has not released specs the same way Ubisoft did which was highly praised.

I don't think it's "pc master race". I myself love PC gaming, (I love consoles too but that's another conversation) but with that being said, I myself don't like that article at all. Being a PC gaming person myself, I don't like the article, but I don't consider it pc master race, so much as I feel like the article is just trying to show off and sound smart, and rile people up and draw attention to their brand in the process. I feel like it's silly and blatantly obvious.
How is it clickbait? To me it is an article aimed at managing expectations and giving you the detailed rundown since CDPR has not released specs the same way Ubisoft did which was highly praised.
I agree that the article is clickbait because as others have correctly pointed out, the article pretty much seems to ignore that CDPR released minimum and recommended specs. CDPR never claimed that these specs were "high" or "ultra" specs, and CDPR even said after that they wanted to try and release some higher specs later on. So I just feel like the article is just trying to draw attention by making people annoyed because they agree, but also annoyed because they disagree, which is kind of smart for marketing, but then again, it's kind of silly and not that smart too in my opinion because we're living in the year 2020 and I'm totally used to, and even bored of these types of marketing tricks. I am so over things like this that I mostly stopped watching 99% of all TV years ago. I think the article is unfair with CDPR, and I view the article as dishonest since it's not a fair representation of what CDPR really did, or did not say.

It's very silly how the article tells people to not trust CDPR, for pretty much no reason, and then they go on to list a bunch of computer parts, which I honestly feel is a thousand times more confusing, and even less helpful. It makes me distrust toms hardware instead of who they're telling me to not trust, because now I'm just being flooded by and overwhelming amount of different products. It feels like shopping for a car at a dealership and being drowned in useless garbage-data and "good deals" until I have absolutely no idea what I want anymore.

Last edited:

Basically their conclusion is that if you want the best experience, get a RTX 3080. What are your thoughts?

Sponsored by nVidia? That's the first thought I have.

Look, the simple fact is, that the 3000-lineup from nVidia is based on Samsung's '8nm' lithography, that is thought to be vastly inferior to the TSMC's 7nm process. Difference between pureplay like TSMC and a multi-industrial conglomerate like Samsung, I suppose.

Until nVidia gets on TSMC's 7nm process, the 3000-line architecture will simply not bring it's A-game. So the smart move is to wait about a year to upgrade your GPU.

And all this assuming AMD doesn't pull a rabbit out of their hat. Industry watchers are saying they see some furry in there. It's shaping up to be a interesting Q4 for hardware.

Sponsored by nVidia? That's the first thought I have.

Look, the simple fact is, that the 3000-lineup from nVidia is based on Samsung's '8nm' lithography, that is thought to be vastly inferior to the TSMC's 7nm process. Difference between pureplay like TSMC and a multi-industrial conglomerate like Samsung, I suppose.

Until nVidia gets on TSMC's 7nm process, the 3000-line architecture will simply not bring it's A-game. So the smart move is to wait about a year to upgrade your GPU.

And all this assuming AMD doesn't pull a rabbit out of their hat. Industry watchers are saying they see some furry in there. It's shaping up to be a interesting Q4 for hardware.

Switching from Samsung to TSMC will mean that Nvidia needs to design their chip from scratch. Which, in turn means, that it will be a completely new RTX series, not 3000 series refresh. So it would make more sense to develop 5nm chip, instead of switching to 7nm.

I'm also interested what will AMD show next month. I assume their BigNavi will run a little worse than 3080, will cost a little bit less and will have more VRAM. And I'm also pretty sure that AMD will not be able to implement alternatives to NVidia new technologies (I/O, RT, DLSS 2.0) in any meaningful way.

"managing expectations" Lol what? What expectations what do you mean?

they cant give a detailed rundown. They have no idea how the game will run. Cdpr said these specs are recomended to play the game at high at 1080p. Then these guys come out with a click bait title, telling people actually "you need the best currently available nvidia video card so go buy that"

Cdpr have said "these are the specs youl need to play at 1080p at high settings" and then this clickbait article come out to captilise on the general consensus that people were expecting it to be higher to play on that and go "actually the recomnded specs is a rtx 3080 and anything less isnt good enough" Its basicly an add for nvidia

And they did release it the way ubisoft did. They just didnt release it fully yet. They still need to show the rest.

Isnt Tom’s Hardware the same outfit that said towards the RTX 2000 series, “Don’t think about it, just buy this card. Your life won’t be complete without it!”? And don’t we know now that the RTX series were overpriced beta-tester products?

I’m slowly getting somewhat sceptical towards what Tom’s Hardware has to say and it’s applied nuance when it comes to Graphics. Just a smidge though.

Last edited:

DC9V

Forum veteran
Last edited:
Top Bottom