[Proposal] W1 Price Of Neutrality as a New Quest Project

+
Hello everybody,

originally I intended to publish the radish modding tools and at the same time a much more bigger, playable showcase quest which would present many of the possible features and could serve as a blueprint project.

As much fun as it would have been to stuff in all the inside jokes and references into the quest it would also have taken an enormous amount of my time to juggle pursuing this further and continuing to iron out the existing bugs in all the tools. So for the moment all you got is a simple testcase quest and some pretty pictures of the tools...

In hindsight it may be not that surprising that at the moment there is *much* wishful thinking what will be possible with the radish tools, how easy it is to do, about porting W1 and W2, how long it will take and in what glorious halls of fame new expansions will dwell - mostly by people who don't know what they are talking about.

On the other side I believe there is indeed much potential, that the tools are *not* extremely difficult to use and it's not as difficult (from a technical perspective) to create something enjoyable interesting as some skeptics may believe.

But every theory should be put to a test in practice...

In my opinion starting with a small to medium sized quest project, like for example porting W1 Price of Neutrality would be a good opportunity to gather experience with the tools, possible obstacles and such a mod project overall.

A PoN quest project is a good starting point because it does remove some major obstacles for new quests:
  • there is no need to actually write a story, dialogs, etc. (IMHO these are among the *most* underestimated tasks for such projects and also completely unrelated to the used tools!)
  • all dialogs are already voiced which pushes the quality of the resulting mod to a new level for "free" (even though there is still some work to convert and generate lipsync anims)
  • there is no need to create a new hub, the story takes place in Kaer Morhen (although new hubs are now possible with the radish tools it's also a major undertaking on its own and getting experience with this will be another "quest" for authors)
While I do think it's a low-hanging fruit project it still offers enough challenges to not get bored.

Just to be clear: this post is not intended as kick-starting *my* project and I will not be "leading" such a project either.

I am merely making a proposal to anyone interested in quest making to organize themselves to get some experience with the tools *and* such a project.

However I will gladly provide tools support and kickstart advice IF
  • this project is a collaborative team effort (one-man projects have a high chance to be abandoned for various reasons)
  • the *complete* project sources will be published so others can use it as a blueprint project
Think about it.. since there is now a "Quest and Adventures" category at nexusmods... how about adding a third candidate to it?

For some inspiration here's one example scene from an attempt at porting Price of Neutrality some time ago by @ScoutBr0. @ScoutBr0 has started this project and has a lot of resources done for the mod already, with all the groundwork for it already laid, the biggest part of it is building the mod using the tools, of which you can volunteer for if you are interested in.

Last edited:
I think that's a great idea. I discovered the radish modding tools 2 days ago and thought about beginning a small project on my own. I read the description so I know that these tools are not for beginners. I only made a texture mod just to get into modding a few months ago but never uploaded it on nexus as it was just for my learning process (so I'm still pretty much a beginner). Haven't done or attempted to do any mods since because I was not interested in what could have been made and the things that interested me were already uploaded. I was interested in trying to make a quest, but soon learned it wasn't possible.
I would gladly participate in the making of this project, but if you consider more modding knowledge is needed for that, I completely understand.

Guest 2364765

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a fantastic endeavour. While I'm unable to help (I'm still modding another game), I'll be watching with interest to see what comes of this idea.

Good job rmemr, I'm very interested in these tools. I love the idea of making quests but I'm more excited about the possibility of decorating the environment if that's a possibility. I hate to ask because I don't want to be a bother, but I'm not very experienced with tools like this. Is it possible for you to make a small step by step tutorial of you adding an object to the world and saving it?

Decorating the environment is one important aspect of creating quests or new hubs and it is possible with these tools (to an extent).

I will not make any step by step tutorials because there are just way too many completely different things that would require to take into account different levels of knowledge. As I wrote on the nexusmods page: this is clearly beyond the scope of a single person's spare time.

However right now I am experimenting with a guided, self-learning tutorial *without* step-by-step instructions. Instead it focuses on exploratory learning by actively using the tools to solve increasingly challenging tasks. For every task there is/will be some background information and some tips provided. It's up to the participant to connect the dots and learn something while doing this.

Currently it runs under the name of "the trials of the radishes" and some people have already started these trials. We'll have to see how far the participants will get with this approach. Depending on the success/feedback/interest/outcome of this it may provide and/or shape the available "documentation" in some way or another.

I am delighted to see that you are always with us rmemr.
without you, many projects would not have existed.

Thank you for your work and thank you to those who helped you in this project.

My knowledge in the modding world is very limited, but I will help to spread this proposal. I really love this universe so it tears my heart appart to see this game die. Hope CDPR gives you some kind of reward for this.

Guest 2364765

My knowledge in the modding world is very limited, but I will help to spread this proposal. I really love this universe so it tears my heart appart to see this game die. Hope CDPR gives you some kind of reward for this.
Going by the precedence of both prologue quest and FOTWW W2 mod there's high chance top personas involved with the mod will get job offers.

So yeah - good luck and god speed to everyone involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decorating the environment is one important aspect of creating quests or new hubs and it is possible with these tools (to an extent).

I will not make any step by step tutorials because there are just way too many completely different things that would require to take into account different levels of knowledge. As I wrote on the nexusmods page: this is clearly beyond the scope of a single person's spare time.

However right now I am experimenting with a guided, self-learning tutorial *without* step-by-step instructions. Instead it focuses on exploratory learning by actively using the tools to solve increasingly challenging tasks. For every task there is/will be some background information and some tips provided. It's up to the participant to connect the dots and learn something while doing this.

Currently it runs under the name of "the trials of the radishes" and some people have already started these trials. We'll have to see how far the participants will get with this approach. Depending on the success/feedback/interest/outcome of this it may provide and/or shape the available "documentation" in some way or another.
Thank you so much rmemr! I'm very happy to hear how you're approaching it. That's an excellent way to actually teach people and I'm really happy that you're doing all this! I'll be keeping my eyes on the nexus for it. Really good job!!!

I'm a bit new to modding, I have created a few character swap mods using Sacrens and i've tried to uncook some other mods to then look at them in C++ notepad to make sense of "witcherscript". I do know some basic SQL and other database languages like elastic search in more of a read only capacity. Often at work I am chasing down bugs which requires me to look at things in JSON , .Har files, PCAPs, Android debugging logs, IOS and OSX Xcode logs, ...etc.

I'd like to learn more and to help even if it's bug reporting and issue triage, but i'll learn anything i'll need to just tell me where to start.

What exactly should I know?

Some general knowledge about how aspects of the game are modded, familiarity with the modkit (and especially wcc lite), some of the community editors (modeditor/wolvenkit, etc.).

Check out the published parts of the radish tools (e.g. SBUI and EnvUi) and get accustomed to using them. One step further is using the w2scene dialog encoder or the speech tools (and in addition getting some familiarity with the commandline).

Knowledge about scripting (Witcher Script) helps but is mostly required only for small parts, workarounds for unsupported things/unknown obstacles or some gameplay changes.

But most of all you should be willing to learn new things.
Post automatically merged:

I'm a bit new to modding, I have created a few character swap mods using Sacrens and i've tried to uncook some other mods to then look at them in C++ notepad to make sense of "witcherscript". I do know some basic SQL and other database languages like elastic search in more of a read only capacity. Often at work I am chasing down bugs which requires me to look at things in JSON , .Har files, PCAPs, Android debugging logs, IOS and OSX Xcode logs, ...etc.

I'd like to learn more and to help even if it's bug reporting and issue triage, but i'll learn anything i'll need to just tell me where to start.
see pm.

This is an amazing idea! Witcher 1 has already official modded quests, I can not wait for W3 to have some too!
If you are interested I can help in C++ programming (I am just a CS student, but still I know more or less :shrug:)

@RemakeRR I think they are still actively testing the capabilities of their tools ( radish tools) and what they can achive with them and how they can improve it and stil are reasearching stuff about he game and how some sapects work. I could be wrong but I got that kind of idea reading through their the radish tool discord.
Concerning the project it was proposal so I don't know if anyobody did accept this proposal and is working on it but it was not a project announced.

Top Bottom