Cyberpunk 2077 Devs Reportedly Working 6-Day Weeks To Finish The Game

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine posting this here would be a bit like sticking my finger in a running fan, but still:

*Sigh*, and someone here has to post and discuss this dammit! We all a bunch of selfish gits and the rabid fanboys detractors would claim we were, if it weren't mentioned at least once in these forums.

Sure, CDPR makes wonderful games that don't wrestle you for your wallet at every turn with lootboxes, microtransactions and live services. However, I still had "doesn't crunch employees" high up on the ticket of what I'd like my ideal developer to do. I can't help but make this thread, just to mourn if even a little, that CDPR doesn't quite manage to escape ALL of the gaming industry's muck and blemishes.

Can we at least agree here that in an ideal world - fully realizing that it isn't - that we would all like the little guys at CDPR not spending 6-day weeks to get us our toys? And can we agree that this is something to strive for, that CDPR has failed, and that it should do better the next time?

I'm oversimplifying and disregarding the financial situation, but I'm in odds between rather having another 2 month delay, or people getting crunched. I can wait another 60 days you know!

And I don't want to hear head-of-studio John Mamai coming in this time to come up with excuses. That the other studios like Rockstar are even worse. That's LOWERING the bar for a company we'd all like to hold in high regard.

Badowski also reportedly addressed a previous position stated by the studio that mandatory overtime would not be part of Cyberpunk 2077 development process. "I take it upon myself to receive the full backlash for the decision," he allegedly wrote.
"I know this is in direct opposition to what we've said about crunch. It's also in direct opposition to what I personally grew to believe a while back--that crunch should never be the answer. But we've extended all other possible means of navigating the situation.”

Slightly better, but still... *sigh*, if only in recognition of us CDPR not living up to better standards - realistic or not.

I don’t really care, at this point it’s an expectation that anyone wanting to work in the gaming industry should have. Like injuries in football, being on call as a Doctor, and your life being on the line as a cop/firefighter/military. It just comes with the job, at least CDPR is paying them for the extra hours.

Last edited:
Ideally it shouldn't happen if things were properly planned out and workloads properly evaluated. But that very rarely happens.

Quite frankly I was amazed they managed to held out until 50 days to release before asking people to do overtime. Other studios have had people crunch for upwards to a year, it's a sad truth of the industry.

But looking at the financial benefits of putting an extra days work each week for 7 weeks I have to say it sounds quite attractive to me. An extra hour each day and 3 more hours in the weekend sounds like a good deal to me personally (assuming a more flexible work schedule and if not it's still OK to me).
As a software developer I've done my fair share of overtime because I wanted to see things done on time and properly, nobody forced me and I don't regret it, the extra money was good.

It sucks that CDPR couldn't keep their no crunch commitment but looking at it from a different perspective, unless people are forced against their will to do overtime I don't really see the issue of having an extra day of work each week for 7 weeks if the pay is good (and it is) and people do it willingly.

If my boss came up to me and made me a similar offer I'd take it but on the other hand I don't know the exact circumstances of this situation at CDPR so I could be completely wrong on my assessment.

Just my 2 cents... if any CDPR people are reading this I truly hope you guys aren't forced to do this and that it's more like "ok, we need shit done, who wants to step up to the plate?"

People apparently value the deadline and the cost/income more than the health of their employees.

I'm with you. It's really sad when companies put this kind of pressure on employees. These are people and forcing them to work 12 hour days 6 days a week is terrible for health. This isn't a job where you should worry about exhaustion or your deadline. It is a job where you should worry about creating the best work you can and make it something you can be proud of. The audience can wait a bit longer so that the people don't work themselves to the bone for something that probably will just have more mistakes because the creators were stressed and rushed.

They have said the game was in Cert so technically the game is technically finished its more a matter of getting the day one patch ready and as many of the remaining bugs squashed as they can manage before then. on top of that most of the staff were already working extra ours and nights on the game of thier own accord so its not like its a chore for them to have the hours assigned. The game is more a project of passion and dedication and less a job they just have to do to earn a buck. I would be willing to bet 99% of them wont even notice that there was the mandatory hours as where already planning on doing it anyway

Annual profit for 2019 was 175M PLN = 45M USD. So ca. 4.5M USD went to the employees as bonuses.

That was without the most anticipated game of infinite eons like CP2077 being released.

with the employe nummers of 2019: 1.111 that be roughly 4.050 Bucks

not massive but still pretty cool. but then id had been a while since witcher 3 & dlc´s came out. with the new reliase & if it is of equal quality then there last work i would suspect a much larger payout. that is a nice bonus for 7 days of extra work.

with the employe nummers of 2019: 1.111 that be roughly 4.500 Bucks

not massive but still pretty cool. but then id had been a while since witcher 3 & dlc´s came out. with the new reliase & if it is of equal quality then there last work i would suspect a much larger payout. that is a nice bonus for 7 days of extra work.
thats more than substantial alot of people only make about half that a month. That is about 2.25 months pay for me simply as a bonus and thats with a 12 dollar an hour salarie with minimum wage being 8.25 an hour

So they have to work seven extra days till release? This is an outrage! Someone call Twitter.

Have you read twitter? You would think CDPR just told their employees that someone has to sacrifice their first born every week until launch. Comments like, doesn't CDPR care about the health of their employees, families will suffer for this, This is just like child slavery.

I mean yes as a company you would rather NOT require over time, but hey $hit happen. I am a Project Manager ( by Profession) and it's my job to have everything worked out , scheduled, and miles stones and goals set. But there is always scope creep or the "Oh yea, we thought we told about this" or my favorite "we can add this function in and it shouldn't add time to the project right?" . Sometimes it does take that little extra time and effort.

But wow in twitter world, everything works with love and peace and moon pies for all.

Yeah crunch sucks in every deadline based profession where creativity is involved. Weeks before and during jury trials are always lame and stressful for me. But you do what you have to to get the best out of yourself before deadline.

Hey, I just hope it's not too rough on them, considering how passionate most of them and how excited they seem to be for us to play it, and considering the development cycle has been what, 8 or more years now? I think the final stretch to work a day extra for the finale is not something they couldn't handle.
Besides that, they are well compensated for the work, unlike in the US where they don't even pay you for overtime.
I feel like LastKnownMeal made some really really good points on this.
Unfortunately, this sort of thing is part of being a developer. I feel like so long as they aren't working for free, have a healthy work environment, and get compensations for their dedication it should be fine.

They are in a fairly difficult position I imagine, they have already promised no more delays several times so this feels almost like a double-edged sword. People complain when it is delayed, people complain when it's not delayed...

I mean yes as a company you would rather NOT require over time, but hey $hit happen. I am a Project Manager ( by Profession) and it's my job to have everything worked out , scheduled, and miles stones and goals set. But there is always scope creep or the "Oh yea, we thought we told about this" or my favorite "we can add this function in and it shouldn't add time to the project right?" . Sometimes it does take that little extra time and effort.

Don't you plan "$hit happen" time included to your schedule?
Post automatically merged:

Sometimes you need to do overtime to keep on schedule. That is true of all production work.

Not everywhere.
Example: Apateq, Luxembourg.
There when there is more works, they just keep on getting new employees, to the point where parking your car when coming for work becomes a problem.

Last edited:
I am disgusted. Ethical players will gladly accept to wait longer to get the game, to avoid bad working conditions.

I beg you CD Projekt Red, don't fall for the dark side of the force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom