Thoughts on influencers/youtubers being NPCs in the game

+

Are you OK with having youtubers in the game as NPCs and having quests tied to them?

• Yes.

• No.

• Should be smaller easter egg like the farting trolls in Witcher 3.

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well, fuckaduck. The more there are the worse it's gonna be. I could have handled one, but If I'm seeing these realistic faces plastered everywhere I'm just gonna constantly be reminded that I'm playing a game and be taken out of the action. Gods damn it, CDPR...

I assume then, if these aren't the final images and in game they look fine you won't have any problems with them?
Ok this is getting out of hand now...

I can kind of get why people would have trouble with in game characters being modeled after and voiced by people they don't like, but seriously what's the problem with having them in I game ads?

I assume then, if these aren't the final images and in game they look fine you won't have any problems with them?
If they're modeled with the in-game engine/character models then sure. I don't personally care because I don't know who any of these people are. They don't break my immersion. My main problem is: If everything is a well known easter egg or using drastically different models/textures then it destroys immersion. You can't play for 5 minutes without thinking "oh, there is that thing that reminds me of real life".

A few silly things like hints and/or nods to other games, a cameo from the person who developed the original TTRPG, etc. are all well and good. They aren't plastered everywhere and likely will only provide a slight chuckle when you find it. Find a tiny alien plushie on one of 200 rooftops? Sure. See a real photo of a well known streamer plastered on the side of every 3rd building you walk/drive past? Nah.

If they're modeled with the in-game engine/character models then sure. I don't personally care because I don't know who any of these people are. They don't break my immersion. My main problem is: If everything is a well known easter egg or using drastically different models/textures then it destroys immersion. You can't play for 5 minutes without thinking "oh, there is that thing that reminds me of real life".

A few silly things like hints and/or nods to other games, a cameo from the person who developed the original TTRPG, etc. are all well and good. They aren't plastered everywhere and likely will only provide a slight chuckle when you find it. Find a tiny alien plushie on one of 200 rooftops? Sure. See a real photo of a well known streamer plastered on the side of every 3rd building you walk/drive past? Nah.

Uh, I don't think any/ most of in game ads are going to be in game engine character models, they are all art, for the most part.

Check out "the world. Of 2077 book, they look pretty much the same. As these

Yea.. Thst proves my point..

There's like 1 or 2 in game model's there and it's mostly art..

Especially the book part, 100 percent art
So adding real life photos to a collection of art and in-game character models is okay instead of simply just adding more in-game character models?

The point I made was "You have character models in advertisements. That's fine. Do more of that. Do NOT add real photos of actual living real life people because it obviously conflicts with the in-game models". If my point was not clear before, I hope it is now. I realize these misunderstandings happen, especially when communicating in text format.

So adding real life photos to a collection of art and in-game character models is okay instead of simply just adding more in-game character models?

The point I made was "You have character models in advertisements. That's fine. Do more of that. Do NOT add real photos of actual living real life people because it obviously conflicts with the in-game models". If my point was not clear before, I hope it is now. I realize these misunderstandings happen, especially when communicating in text format.

But they aren't character models. That's what I'm saying. All those adds you linked are drawings.

I said "if they were touched up a bit to look less like photos and more like the other in game advertisements art, would it be fine with you?"

Not "these are literally the same as all the other ads"

I asked you a question and pointed out that in game ads do not feature engine character models like you claim. (at least mostly as far as the ones I can remember seeing)

There are some other in game ads that do look similar to those, like ones for the lawyers, though

Last edited:

I can kind of get why people would have trouble with in game characters being modeled after and voiced by people they don't like, but seriously what's the problem with having them in I game ads?

You cannot kill ads to remove them from the game.

Because they kill immersion for the very same reason they were chosen to be added in the game in the first place.

I'd agree if it was like, McDonald's or a real life add in game but it's just using someones face for an actual on univers add. It's like, it's going to be the same add either way. You probably wouldn't have and won't notice half of them if you hadn't read about it right?

I do not want to see real life people in a videogame.

CDPR throws around the term immersion and there is nothing more immersion breaking than seeing some Youtube dude face on some ingame ad. Maybe for you thats fun and exciting but for me it takes me out of the experience.

This is a bad precedence that CDPR is setting.

I'd agree if it was like, McDonald's or a real life add in game but it's just using someones face for an actual on univers add. It's like, it's going to be the same add either way. You probably wouldn't have and won't notice half of them if you hadn't read about it right?

Cannot unread it.
Besides, knowing about them is precisely why they were added, it's just that I'm not an american.

Its about a pattern and precedence that CDPR is taking.

Give a man an inch and they take a foot. What they are doing now may seem light, cute and innocent, but imagine if CDPR begins to want to take this further, especially with the online portion or the next Witcher game.

It's okay to be critical of CDPR.

Its about a pattern and precedence that CDPR is taking.

Give a man an inch and they take a foot. What they are doing now may seem light, cute and innocent, but imagine if CDPR begins to want to take this further, especially with the online portion or the next Witcher game.

It's okay to be critical of CDPR.

I dont follow at all, having peoples likeness scanned into games for npcs is a slipperey slope to.. having people scanned in other games?

btw this isnt the first time cdpr have scanned people in, nor are they the first

And, its ok to accept that maybe people just have a different view on this than you.

Anyway, I totally dont think the "immersion" thing is people being honest. I personally belive the problem is the stigma around the groups being scanned.I didnt really see any of this about reeves bieng announced, and doubt I would when its shown mike pondsmith has a model in game. I think if it was people from less controversial groups it wouldnt be an issue at all. Whether or not thats a conscious thing though, who knows.

I dont follow at all, having peoples likeness scanned into games for npcs is a slipperey slope to.. having people scanned in other games?

btw this isnt the first time cdpr have scanned people in, nor are they the first

And, its ok to accept that maybe people just have a different view on this than you.

Anyway, I totally dont think the "immersion" thing is people being honest. I personally belive the problem is the stigma around the groups being scanned.I didnt really see any of this about reeves bieng announced, and doubt I would when its shown mike pondsmith has a model in game. I think if it was people from less controversial groups it wouldnt be an issue at all. Whether or not thats a conscious thing though, who knows.
People just like to get upset over the dumbest things. The whole give a man an inch argument doesn’t even work in this situation. We aren’t “giving” them anything, it’s their damn game and they can put whatever and whoever they please in it. Since when do creators have to go around asking for everyone’s approval before making their product. Things are getting so ridiculous, launch day can’t come soon enough.

People just like to get upset over the dumbest things. The whole give a man an inch argument doesn’t even work in this situation. We aren’t “giving” them anything, it’s their damn game and they can put whatever and whoever they please in it. Since when do creators have to go around asking for everyone’s approval before making their product. Things are getting so ridiculous, launch day can’t come soon enough.
i think everyone has the right to criticize a product just like how you criticize any other game/book/movie what may seem trivial or even a positive to you might be game breaking to another, when the guys at Cdpr talk about how important immersion and that there are so many design decisions made around it like FPP(which im fine with btw) then proceed to shove youtubers/streamers immersion is completely thrown out the window.

Now to be fair Cyberpunk is not the first game to include youtubers/streamers but having content revolving around them might be the first and there is just way to many of them in the game at this point and i really dont want pandering to youtubers/streamers become a thing in future video games like what Cdpr is doing,there is a good reason why actors and models exist and why game companies pay good money to hire them,if this was not the case then they might as well grab any average joe in the street and feature them in the game for free.

ofcourse many people especially in this site criticize the game out of passion, sure they are the ones who call the shots but at the end of the day we all want Cyberpunk 2077 to be at its best and nodding to every design choice Cdpr makes will eventually backfire its why i love this site compared to the endless worshipping of the subreddit.

Last edited:
I do understand some critical notions, but at the same time I'm getting a vibe that is the following:

"Faces / implementations of real people as NPCs in games is bad!"

Keanu Reeves
"Woah, Cyberpunk coming out soon! Keanu Reeves, woo! Awesome!"

Streamer you didn't even hear before is covered on an ad or as some side character in nowhere-town
"This is an outrage and it's killing my immersion!"

I'm slightly exaggerating to get the point across. I understand where some are coming from, but at the same time, it's not the end of the game or world, nor does it personally phase me too much. If I wasn't looking into this thread for about 90% of those in question that were or will be referenced here down the line, I wouldn't even have found out or known.

If "Cannot unread" is one argument, then I guess "Ignorance is bliss" would be the other.

That said, my personal stance is: Relatively unphased. If others notably dislike it, then I guess that's that. I just don't see a large issue with it because if I play and notice that, I take that as a nod, reference or easter egg depending on depiction or implementation and keep playing. If I had a general problem with that then I couldn't take Keanu Reeves, sorry, Silverhand serious either.

While I can't expect anyone to change their preferences, I can say that one can adapt.

Top Bottom