Opinions on the music?

+
Before i begin there is no question that Cdpr is putting alot of effort and resources into the music,with that said i feel that the game is lacking heavily in terms of industrial/synthwave/retro and ambient music which are some of the defining features of Cyberpunk as a genre,there is just way to many hip hop and pop music for my taste,im not saying that it does not fit the Cyberpunk world or anything it just feels jarring at times.
in this video the ambient music nails the cyberpunk feel up until the other music suddenly takes over i just rolled my eyes when it happened

thats just my opinion what about you guys?

Absolutely agree. Couldn't agree more.

When I think of cyberpunk music, I think of synthwave. Bands like Scandroid, Perturbator, Kavinsky, Dance with the Dead, etc. Hyper's "Spoiler" they used for the trailer was great. But A LOT of the music they've shown just feels like modern pop and rap, like you said. It's really disappointing honestly.

Even the "punk" music they have via Samurai feels too... I don't how to describe it... stable? In my opinion punk music is meant to sound chaotic, like to the point where someone who knows nothing about music might assume each musician is trying to drown out the other band members with their own solo while the singer screams into a mic about their problems. If you want to know what I mean, look up "I Hate Myself" by The Offenders on YouTube. That's what I feel like punk should sound like. Meanwhile we have a very safe, slowed down version for 2077. Not really to my taste.

I hope and pray there will be separate radio stations for songs like Samurai's "Chipping In", Hyper's "Spoiler", and all this other pop and rap stuff. And that there's more hardcore punk music in the game that they just haven't shown us because it's less marketable to normies.

Hey,
I was wondering what would CP look in the style of e.g. Matrix.
What we have seen so far was kinda colourful, cool and relaxed, but there were also some moments with a different mood, weather, etc...

I guess that there will be many memorable moments - e.g. - sit around the fire with Nomads, Afterlife disco, car chases in rain, flying projections in japan town,...

Before i begin there is no question that Cdpr is putting alot of effort and resources into the music,with that said i feel that the game is lacking heavily in terms of industrial/synthwave/retro and ambient music which are some of the defining features of Cyberpunk as a genre,there is just way to many hip hop and pop music for my taste,im not saying that it does not fit the Cyberpunk world or anything it just feels jarring at times.

I disagree that synthwave is a "defining feature" of cyberpunk. I agree though that theres been lack of it in trailers so far. I also agree that theres WAY too much rap and hiphop shown. As in, more than zero.

NCW finally gave us a bit more variety in music, even though it was quiet and subdued. At least there is something else than Refused and hiphop.

In NCW4 Miles Tost said that the game won't feature much "background music", and instead focus on just realistic city sounds. There is fight music, you can listen to radio and TV and so on, but apparently theres not that much background music. I like this approach a lot.

Synthewave has never really been a staple of cyberpunk, people simply lumped them together because of the general 80s aesthetic/80s futuristic aesthetic. Sure, they work, but it's not a defining feature. I adore the music shown so far and to assume an entire city like NC, let alone the entire NUSA would just listen to synthwave for almost 100 years is shortsighted. Times change. I feel the music they've made really nails the feel of the game. There are different districts with highly diverse populations and cultures of which different types of music will likely appeal to. This is reflected in the variety of music available. I've never liked rap and few pop songs do I ever enjoy, but I've loved every track I've heard from the NCW episodes because they utterly nail the feel of what should be playing in this diverse, living city of the dark future. Not to mention they're pretty catchy.

Last edited:
Hopefully there will be a mod to add in custom radio stations and music then. Apparently an unpopular opinion, but I definitely want to be listening to synthwave or something similar in any cyberpunk game, and managing that separately on a phone or in another window would be a pain. Right or wrong, in my opinion, it's a necessary part of any modern take on the genre.

In NCW4 Miles Tost said that the game won't feature much "background music", and instead focus on just realistic city sounds.
I really hope this isn't the case, especially since TW3 had such amazing music. Secretly I think I'm just hoping for Deus Ex 4, and if there's no good ost I'll be bummed.

Back on topic, I liked the music in the B roll video driving through the badlands and I really liked the music in "postcards", especially the end.

Last edited:
I am not going to lie, I was a bit disappointed with the first few music examples they showed. I don't know how to put this, but to me, they sounded too on the nose I suppose?

I kinda liked what I heard in few of the latest trailers though. Not too shabby I might say. But it still seems a bit lacking.

As for what types of music would go along with CP77, I heard some opinions around that just irks me a tiny bit. In my opinion, it doesn't have to sound futuristic and It doesn't need to have a synth or techno vibe to it. Almost any kind of music could fit into Cyberpunk depending on circumstances. (Where is this piece of music will be used for example.)

I always loved the song "A Smaller God" from Darling Violetta for example. Depending on where it is used, the setting, a song with a similar tone could fit Cyberpunk. (Again, this is just an example)

I would hate it if CDPR would stick with certain types of music and ignore everything else.

I really hope this isn't the case, especially since TW3 had such amazing music. Secretly I think I'm just hoping for Deus Ex 4, and if there's no good ost I'll be bummed.

My opinion is opposite. I'm liking this approach a lot.

In my opinion no matter how good music is, it can get quite repetitive if you play long periods of time. In my experience I will usually end up turning off music in large sandbox games, if its in any way too intrusive with clear melody and stuff (therefore I will notice it much better, and make it harder for my brain to tune it out.) I will remember that I've heard that melody 100 times before, and then it gets annoying.

CP2077 apparently won't completely go to a radio/TV music only, as there will be some kind of music accompanying events such as fighting music.

My opinion is opposite. I'm liking this approach a lot.

In my opinion no matter how good music is, it can get quite repetitive if you play long periods of time. In my experience I will usually end up turning off music in large sandbox games, if its in any way too intrusive with clear melody and stuff (therefore I will notice it much better, and make it harder for my brain to tune it out.) I will remember that I've heard that melody 100 times before, and then it gets annoying.

CP2077 apparently won't completely go to a radio/TV music only, as there will be some kind of music accompanying events such as fighting music.
bruh
Post automatically merged:

i also want to add that the Deus ex games had some of my favorite Cyberpunk soundtracks especially the ambient ones in MD

But in the city music is everywhere. imagine bgm is played all the time like TW3. it will be mess being mixed 2-3 songs simultaneously

bruh
Post automatically merged:

i also want to add that the Deus ex games had some of my favorite Cyberpunk soundtracks especially the ambient ones in MD

bruh... I had to turn that background music off cause it went to the point it was annoying while I was walking around. They made the right call with letting the city ambiance be the background music.

Yeah the city sound is totally a correct choice. Now when you walk past a club, like in real life, you will possibly hear some bass and as you get closer to the interior the music will become more defined.

People, stores and places playing different music depending on the culture of a certain district.

Much of the music I've heard is quite catchy, a hole in the sun, grimes 4 am, some samurai songs, I am also a fan of rap music so for me no complaints.

I even liked the silly music that played when they showed off the economy cars and also some ambience like when they show the intro of 'Rides of the Dark Future' is so badass.

Hyper spoiler and the scavenger music was also great imo.

Top Bottom