So weapons are pretty much just guns and knives?

+
For the rest, yeah, hacking gameplay and fight assist A.I. (even A.I. in general) are yet to be treated more seriously, because compared to other aspects of game design, I feel that they're still entrapped in the 2000's more or less. No, apart from graphics, interface, and online support, I don't see a significant leap forward to the next generation of game design.
I was kind of hoping Cyberpunk 2077 was going to push things forward in that regard.

Heck, AI doesn't even have to be that sophisticated. Old dumb state machines will work just fine since we really just need them to obey commands and be predictable while having abilities that work in concert with the rest of gameplay.

I know CoD has a recon drone that gets you everyone's position on the map. No plant in strategic positions "tower defense" style drones that shoot or perform some action though to my knowledge.

And doesn't that make you sad ... even freaking "braindead shooter" CoD has drones ...

So you like to play drones?!

Dunno if I get you right.
I would like to play a human or elselike and no robot. And just to remember the drones would have normal weapons too. So they are just "guns" with remote control. Just a little be sharp.

I think the discussion leads to a dead end.
Weapons are needed for this game and in my opinion it is hard do make weapons no one every saw or thought about before.
The second thing is, someone stated it already, there is a lore about this world an we cannot put things in it that doesn´t exist in the world.
And if you like cyberpunk with fantasy you have to play shadowrun, there are magic and dragons and many more so you can use magic to kill someone.....but it is like another weapon when you cast a fireball. Be sharp again.

I just try to say that i´s hard to invent something that no one saw before.
Hope you understand what I am trying to tell.

I know CoD has a recon drone that gets you everyone's position on the map. No plant in strategic positions "tower defense" style drones that shoot or perform some action though to my knowledge.

And doesn't that make you sad ... even freaking "braindead shooter" CoD has drones ...

No - should I? I prefer to run in ACPA instead. Drones are boring.

basically auto-aim/V.A.T.S.

V.A.T.S isn't auto aim, you switch causes and consequences:
-Lorewise it's a system which analyse your chances of hitting your target and show it to you.
-Gameplay wise it's a system used to make your stats decides if your are good enough to hit your target or not, like in a...RPG.
Post automatically merged:

So you like to play drones?!

Dunno if I get you right.
I would like to play a human or elselike and no robot. And just to remember the drones would have normal weapons too. So they are just "guns" with remote control. Just a little be sharp.

Drones can also be fully automated, even more in a dystopian setting.
And they would have been a great add to those who don't find shooting at things as being fun.

Although I'm all for originality, "knives and(/or) guns" make up 99% of means of interaction in video games – except sports games.
So it's kind of unfair to criticize a game for including them, when in said game you don't have to use them and have other forms of interaction like hacking, talking or stealthing...

Also, of course there are other/more original weapons in other cyberpunk-themed media, but not in THE Cyberpunk by Mike Pondsmith, who explicitly said, that guns in CP aren't cool futuristic laser rifles, they are heavy and dark killing machines.

I was expecting more "cyberpunk" stuff like robots and spider tanks too.
Drones. I pretty much stole the idea from GitS. In the GitS TV series (and manga) they had the Tachikomas (Fushikomas) that the Major makes extensive uses of during operations, having them secure exit routes and whatnot.

I expected you to be a fan of GITS, judging from the first post. This, however, is not a GITS game. Nor a blade runner game. This is a game about Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk, and its very much lore-accurate as far as I can see.

Humans vs humans, not humans vs robots. Like the Avengers game. Ew.

This dystopian tech noir is all about humans. Homo homini lupus.

I kinda agree with the OP. I was hoping for more creative gadgetry in general. I hope V can have a more extensive toolkit than what we've seen so far. This would be something they might add in after release, as we know we'll get free DLC.

I was expecting more "cyberpunk" stuff like robots and spider tanks too.

I was thinking of drones with Predator-like "thermo-optic camouflage" that we can use for recon and maneuver into position as weapons that will strike targets on command - allowing for a kind of a "trap" / tower defense-lite style of attack.

Maybe in DLC I suppose.
Reading the last paragraph I understand what you're implying, however, watching that trailer shows you it's more than just guns and knives. Did you miss the monowire (believe this is the nanowire shown in Deep Dive 2019), Gorilla Arms, Projectile Launch System etc. There's still the spider bot in some capacity, to what degree we'll have access is unknown. It might only be available for that one Maelstrom quest? We'll see.

They haven't shown everything that's in the game, will there be something akin to what you suggest? Possibly. In recent footage we can see that there are flying drones, aerial attack vehicles, and what looks like a mech and we've also seen an exosuit (Royce boss fight). There's still plenty of Cyberware we have not seen or heard about, and while still projectiles and blades, there's multiple damage types like biochemical and non-lethal rounds.

Then we have melee + non-conventional weapons like broken bottles (unless that's no longer in the game?) Point being, I think the game will offer plenty of combat options. The amount of potential weapons via hacking alone seems to be quite high. We might not have our very own drones with Predator-like "thermo-optic camouflage" as you put it, but that doesn't mean we will not have the chance to hack one to do our bidding :smart:

Seems a lot of people expect/want CP2077 to be CP3977 or some such.

The M1911 .45 handgun was developed in ... well, 1911 and is still perfectly viable and popular today, the M2 .50cal was deployed in 1933 and is still the 2nd most used (after the Russian 12.7 DShK/NSV) heavy machinegun in the world. So yes, CP2077 is not Star Wars with blasters and such. Guns, pretty much as we know them IRL dominate the game because it's science FICTION not FANTASY.

The same logic applies to such things as robots and androids. Battlemechs are kewl as hell on paper and in fantasy games but there are numerous very practical reasons why we'll NEVER see them on IRL battlefields. Androids require advances in programming, computer capabilities (speed and size), and most importantly energy generation/storage that are well beyond what's even remotely possible IRL given our current knowledge of physics. Thus it's fantasy, not fiction.

Go play Star Wars Battlefront (or something similar) if you want an action FPS, don't expect, or demand, CP2077 be one.

Last edited:
Let's not forget "Hacking" is a kind of weapon too!

All I need is Hacking, Brute Force, and a Katana!
That is my V!

Battlemechs are kewl as hell on paper and in fantasy games but there are numerous very practical reasons why we'll NEVER see them on IRL battlefields.

Would not bet on that, as killing drones/robots use today is more and more a moral choice about what should be used on the battlefield and what should not.

V.A.T.S isn't auto aim, you switch causes and consequences:
-Lorewise it's a system which analyse your chances of hitting your target and show it to you.
-Gameplay wise it's a system used to make your stats decides if your are good enough to hit your target or not, like in a...RPG.

Drones can also be fully automated, even more in a dystopian setting.
And they would have been a great add to those who don't find shooting at things as being fun.
In cyberpunk they are not fully automated.

They have pilotmode and basic Mode. They take simple comand....stand, go to, shot.....so it isn t quiet the thing you expect.

In cyberpunk they are not fully automated.

They have pilotmode and basic Mode. They take simple comand....stand, go to, shot.....so it isn t quiet the thing you expect.

You mean C2077 will also have old C2020 smartphones?

Drones. I pretty much stole the idea from GitS. In the GitS TV series (and manga) they had the Tachikomas (Fushikomas) that the Major makes extensive uses of during operations, having them secure exit routes and whatnot.

While we can't have drones that are that smart, we can have more numerous dumb drones. Imagine scouting out the place where a deal is going to go down via a cloaked wall crawling drone with video feed, identifying spots where your cloaked gunner drones (of various sizes) can attach themselves (and giving them priority targets), identifying hacking points you can sent your hacking drone with nanowire to hack (to say lock doors and prevent reinforcements from flooding in / prevent your target from escaping, maybe even open external doors to allow your larger, more heavily armored, drones in) ... etc. when things take a turn for the worse.

There are probably even more things they can do (not related to the aforementioned suggestion) that I haven't even thought of.

I never said anything about getting rid of guns. I just said that they are really over used. So much so that you can't really tout them as a selling point anymore. Yes, you have a sniper rifle ... but so did every darn game with guns in the last 20 years.

I'm just disappointed that combat-wise it will just be shoot-and-stab-CoD and that nothing much has changed since Deus Ex in 2000 - heck, things might have even devolved a bit; Deus Ex had LAMs that serve as grenades and proximity mines.

Drones are just flying guns

I can't talk for other people, but I think it's not about getting rid of the "combat" itself, well I mean I think this is more to do with "fighting always wins every situation", which means that in comparison to some aspects of the RPG gameplay, the combat mechanics feel pretty much the same as the shooting games, and its simple design almost grants success.

I feel that other games like action-RPGs could (and should) step aside from the system used in shooter games, and rework the combat design into something that take more in consideration the RPG genre. In short we should do more than just shoot-n-loot the enemies, and the fights should have various outcomes depending on our actions, enhance the narrative with game design.

Oh sweet LAMs... I love them... say "LAM" one more time. :ohstopit:
Oh okay, I understand you guys now.

The problem I see in here is not that we only have guns and knives, but the diversity of their functions. Maybe I haven't seen all of them but from what I've already seen, I can only see weapons that mainly are used to shoot and kill. I cannot see any grenades, proximity mines, remote explosives, ropes/hooks... No distraction tools, no tolls to disarm or nail someone to the ground. No tracking ammo, magnetic weapons or anything that simply doesn't shoot a "bullet".

Apart of mele weapons, we have weapons that shoot single bullets, multiple bullets, bullets that track, and other bullets... Did I miss something? Do we have something that is not simply used to shoot and kill?

You mean C2077 will also have old C2020 smartphones?
When Mike Pondsmith say so.....then yes.
He make the world, he make the rules. He may change them and there will be automatic robots, drones, laserrifle andandand....but if he does not it is like it is....even when someone else say his cyberpunk is boring like it is.
[]

The problem I see in here is not that we only have guns and knives, but the diversity of their functions. Maybe I haven't seen all of them but from what I've already seen, I can only see weapons that mainly are used to shoot and kill. I cannot see any grenades, proximity mines, remote explosives, ropes/hooks... No distraction tools, no tolls to disarm or nail someone to the ground. No tracking ammo, magnetic weapons or anything that simply doesn't shoot a "bullet".

Apart of mele weapons, we have weapons that shoot single bullets, multiple bullets, bullets that track, and other bullets... Did I miss something? Do we have something that is not simply used to shoot and kill?
No magnetic?

Tech weapons are weapons that use rail gun technology, firing projectiles that are propelled with an electromagnetic charge

No grenades?

In the 2018 demo V throw a grenade in the Mission with the monk. In ncw3 or ncw2 V was killed bei a grenade.

No magnetic?

Tech weapons are weapons that use rail gun technology, firing projectiles that are propelled with an electromagnetic charge

No grenades?

In the 2018 demo V throw a grenade in the Mission with the monk. In ncw3 or ncw2 V was killed bei a grenade.

A dev, dont know wich one, maybe Miles Tost said that there are non lethal weapons or ammunition in the game. So you dont have to Kill anyone.

I don´t understand why someone try to make a "better" world/game out of cyberpunk.

Yes there could be A.I., Starships, Robots, Androids, Magic, Superpowers, GitS, Aliens...... but would it be Cyberpunk?
Would it be CP2077 or like someone said before CP3177?
Mike Pondsmith describes in detail how his world has to be.
He changed it in some points for CDPR for some circumstance.
I understand why someone is not happy because there are no tuning for his car or no 3rd person.
But I don´t understand why someone is agruing because there isn´t the weapon in the game he like to see.

In my homecountry there is a phrase: searching for the hair in the soup.

Last edited:
He make the world, he make the rules. He may change them and there will be automatic robots, drones, laserrifle andandand....but if he does not it is like it is....even when someone else say his cyberpunk is boring like it is.
[]

No magnetic?

No grenades?

No magnetic?

No grenades?

A dev, dont know wich one, maybe Miles Tost said that there are non lethal weapons or ammunition in the game. So you dont have to Kill anyone.

I know there is magnetic katana, and some energy weapons. But the thing with energy weapons is that those weapons are still just to shoot projectiles. By saying magnetic I mean something that can attract some object from the distance and throw it back. Something that makes the fights more entertaining and diverse rather than shooting either from conventional weapons or energy weapons. And yes, I've forgot about grenades, thx for reminding. Were there any tactical ones or just explosives that deal damage?

CP2077 is CDPR's cyberpunk. Its based on mike pondsmiths cyberpunk universe, but cdpr decides what goes into CP2077, not mike pondsmith. Not to say there isnt colaboration, and they didnt get his advice on how to bring it to life.

I think its a given there will be grenades.

I can't talk for other people, but I think it's not about getting rid of the "combat" itself, well I mean I think this is more to do with "fighting always wins every situation", which means that in comparison to some aspects of the RPG gameplay, the combat mechanics feel pretty much the same as the shooting games, and its simple design almost grants success.

I feel that other games like action-RPGs could (and should) step aside from the system used in shooter games, and rework the combat design into something that take more in consideration the RPG genre. In short we should do more than just shoot-n-loot the enemies, and the fights should have various outcomes depending on our actions, enhance the narrative with game design.

Oh sweet LAMs... I love them... say "LAM" one more time. :ohstopit:

They have talked extensivly about how they want to give multiple ways to finish each mission/quest.