3 little known games that you love and would like to be better known by sharing

+

Advent Rising: We could say that Mass Effect is the spiritual successor to it. Too bad it wasn't properly introduced to the world and, eventually, the sequels got dropped :sad:

TimeShift: Time manipulation never felt so satisfying. It's a shame it never got new releases. Maybe things will change. Who knows :shrug:

Enter the Matrix: This game is just freaking awesome. But there was this thing that I and many others wanted so bad... to play as Neo. With the Path of Neo I finally got my wish... and tbh I wish that I never wished to play a Neo game :facepalm:Yeah it was kinda fun to play as Neo, but it gets boring and not interesting at all as one progresses throughout the game. To me, Enter the Matrix shines as the best entry in the whole franchise. Unfortunately, Path of Neo eclipsed that.

That's enough for now. It's a good thing that the list is limited to 3 titles because the more we dig deeper the more it gets emotional and start hitting things like entirely scrapped games, studio closures, etc... :giveup:

(I’m going to assume these ones are little known by the community.)
  • Machinarium: A great 2D point-and-click game with some decently difficult puzzles and a wonderful, bleak-yet-whimsical art direction and story. Tim Burton-esque in a way.
  • LISA: The Painful: A memorable post-apocaliptic sidescroller/turn-based RPG. Another one with a bleak-yet-whimsical art style, although this one’s setting and characters are way more f**ked up and surreal than Machinarium’s. For lack of a better comparison, think Rob Zombie meets David Lynch.
  • Frog Fractions: I... uh... hmm, well, you’d have to see it for yourselves. It’s, uh, an experience. It’s a short game not apt for grumpy people, that’s all I’m going to say.

Jade Empire - RPG set in old China, it has amazing story, interesting characters and pretty good combat system.

Naruto-Arena, Soul-Arena - browser games from Naruto and Bleach universes, unfortunately both of them are dead by now and you can't play them anymore, the only game of this type (that i know of) that survived till this day is War of Ninja.

Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy - 3rd person shooter, you play as a soldier with psychic powers, it's one of the very few games that did telekinesis right.

1 Hogs Of War
It was a precursor to Worms only much better :) If you`re old enough it had the late great Rik Mayall from the cult show The Young Ones . It was very strategic and funny with Rik doing all the voices .

Hogs of War — StrategyWiki, the video game walkthrough and strategy guide  wiki
2 Heavy Rain

You play as three characters tracking a serial killer . There`s one scene with one of the characters Madison :eek: i don`t think i have ever been so scared before or ever again for a video game person then in that scene fighting for her life .

Heavy Rain - Wikipedia
3 Kingdoms Of Amalur

A very good RPG that no one has heard of . A great story and great lore that deserved more love from gamers . I have heard of a re make you should check out (y)

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Wikipedia

Of course, I must second Kingdoms of Amalur. Probably my most-played game of all time. I've never found an action-combat system I liked more.

I'll plug again for Starsector:

Think Mount and Blade, but you have a fleet of starships instead of burly warrior dudes.

And Banished:

Great little city-builder in which your primary resource is the people, their health, and their happiness. There's still material economy, but correctly managing your citizens is what makes or breaks any scenario. (Plus, citizens are born, get married and have families, grow old, and eventually die. It's a very cool game!)

Gotcha Force, my number 1 favorite video game ever. Very little people know about it, largely due to lack of popularity from the childish visuals. But trust me, it's so action-packed and fun it doesn't even matter. Basically similar in play-style to Custom Robo; arena action/shooter but on a larger scale. And instead of customizing your robots, you have over 200 different ones to choose from. Full story mode, multiplayer modes, challenge modes means endless action. I've been playing it on and off since release back in 2003. It's gained a special permanent place in my heart and I would pay so much money just to see Capcom even acknowledge that this game exists just once more.

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, third-person shooter set in a robot world. Amazing story with a variety of weapons and tools to destroy enemies, including one that lets you control enemies to infiltrate bases. Characters are great, voice-acting is on-point, multiplayer that I actually enjoyed with my cousins. Highly recommended.

Cel Damage, and yes I'm aware of the HD remake from a few years ago. But if you played the original, it's not the same. Vehicular combat but super cartoony, just imagine if Twisted Metal was animated by Warner Bros. This game is just awesome, everything about it oozes personality; the characters, the settings, the weapons are even whacky as hell. So many old cartoon troupes, if you're nostalgic like me, you'll love everything about it.

So many great little unknown games... this gonna be difficult...

1. Transistor. All Supergiant games are good and have super arts and osts, but transistor was the one who left the most memories.

2. King's Bounty. I played it many years ago, but the first and second were really good. It's like Heroes of might and magic 5, with a longer, character connected journey. It has a good humor too.

3. Thea: The Awakening (or The Shattering) would be the third. It's card-based combat will surely get boring at later stages, but it's a good strategy heavily inspired with Slavic myths. (Also beware, it's events are really cool, but too much text to read.)

Sild

Ex-moderator
I'll plug again for Starsector:

Think Mount and Blade, but you have a fleet of starships instead of burly warrior dudes.

Alright. I'm intrigued.

How come this isn't on Steam..

Last edited:

ya1

Forum regular
1. Unless you're over 12 years old, anything from Captain Tsubasa series. I hear they still release... ;)

2. 2D FOREVER: Hollow Knight & Ori series are two of my faves. Not exactly little known but the genre is way less popular than it deserves.

3. Torment: Tides of Numenera. If you liked the classic Planescape: Torment for the story and the world, this is 1000x better.

Star Trek Online

They went on console (PS4 and Xbox One) a few years ago which ... allowed them to bring in actors from the shows.
Actually, characters and their actors were involved in the game right from the very beginning. I have played almost every day since beta back in 2009 and also play it on PS4 now too. Very enjoyable game, even for non-trek fans. Ground combat is pretty decent but the real highlight is the ship combat. The storyline of the game tugs on insignificant plot-threads from across the vast quantity of tv show episodes, weaving them into something far more menacing for the game world too.

Anyway, I'll drop some names here too:
  • Obduction
    I have thoroughly enjoyed everything made by Cyan Worlds, since I first played Myst back in '93. This most recent venture saw them add VR-support to their exploration-puzzlers, and the upcoming Firmament is being designed with VR foremost in mind.

• The Talos Principle
    Another puzzle game with stunning visuals. Puzzles upon puzzles upon puzzles to solve that allow you to collect tetromino blocks that are themselves pieces of other puzzles. Not enough puzzles? Try collecting the hidden stars as well. And there's an astonishing amount of easter eggs hidden throughout the game worlds as well.
    You can play "Sigils of Elohim", a free puzzler that ties into the main game a little: https://store.steampowered.com/app/321480/Sigils_of_Elohim/

• The Witness
    Another puzzle game that offers so much in terms of mystery and increasing challenge. There's so much to do, but the game seems to lack a story - it's there, but you have to search really hard to find it. If you manage to find the 'real' ending, you'll be rewarded with the dullest cinematic I've ever seen.

• A few extra titles I've thoroughly enjoyed over the years: The 7th Guest, The 11th Hour, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, War for the Overworld, Schizm, The Last Express, Runes of Magic, Myst, Riven, Uru, Quern, The Room.

There won't be any links to YouTube videos or screenshots of games I'll mention but you will find them in both GOG and Steam. Here they are:

1. Operation Silent storm, best decribed as "Jagged Alliance 2, but better in gameplay". You can destroy almost everything with explosives; your soldiers can retreat AND watch in the direction of his last encounter with the enemy; you can shoot in the direction of an enemy you hear (there is a special icon for that) and if it so happened he is above you, you can make him fall and get injuries (which there are many); there is one thing that is abcent in this game but is there in JA 2 - interactions between your soldiers (which is a bit of a shame - there are possibilities for it). Setting - World war 2, most weapons are from that era (with the exception of panzerkleins and some lazer guns); you can choose both Allies and Axis as your faction, some of the missions will be the same for both sides, but most of the time even if a place of operation is same for 2 factions they are still played differently. There are six classes with their own set of skills, they also specialize in different areas (scouts are good at concealment, grenadiers are obviously good at throwing grenades, snipers do their best with sniper shots, etc.). On a side note - I am not certain that's still the case, but when I played Steam version 3-4 years ago there was no possibility to finish the last mission because the final boss just flew away and never returned so it is better to ask in the forums if it was fixed or not first.

2. Ground Control 2: Operation Exodus. Real-time strategy, mostly for the single player experience since there is only 2 factions to play in multiplayer (totally forgot it never had a proper multiplayer via Internet, only via LAN). The story is quite generic (but considering all of the stories and turns in them are already known, that is not a disadvantage for me) - we are a bunch of people from the space colony that decided to separate themselves from our metropoly, Terran Empire; we come through some successful battles against the Empire but then at certain point they show up with aliens named virons and there is only one solution left - to escape into unknown regions of space. Speaking of features in this game - every unit has 2 ways of operating (sometimes entirely different - for example, light infantry most of the time shoots with bullets, but in an alternative mode they switch to rocket launchers) and in case of virons there is a possibility to make entirely different unit by merging two of one type; there are ways to spend extra resources - you can make your dropship (which is sending in reinforcements and also can engage in battle) deal more damage, survive longer or be in the air longer. I never mentioned how exactly do you get the resources - most of the time you get them when you control a landing zone or control point, and by destroying your opponent's army.

3. The Banner saga trilogy, best described as "Thronebreaker but with more decisions influencing you and your well-being directly". I'd even say that you MUST play it without downloads if you don't like the choice you made. The gameplay is quite simple but it has some degree of tactical depth, and some battles can be quite challenging.

Last edited:
Star Trek Online

I'll give a shout out to a free to play MMORPG. A great all around game for all you trekkies out there, though not the perfect homage to the beloved franchise people wished it would be. They went on console (PS4 and Xbox One) a few years ago which saw the quality of the graphics and gameplay increase, revamp previously released content, as well as allowed them to bring in actors from the shows. With new Star Trek shows being produced, they've got more content to work with (or in some cases work around their soft cannon), so that answers the question of if it's still worth playing. Definitely something I play once every couple of months to check out new content.

Damn you. I hadn't heard much about this since its early days, when it got routinely trashed. But this time I had to check it out. I was hooked in the first five minutes, when the true Spock Prime came on with the voice over for the Federation. I couldn't not play it after that. Several days later, and I've come to love the Romulans and their battle cloaks. I'm going to end up spending countless hours on this now.

Guest 4211861

• Greedfall, blending colonial times with the supernatural

If you like the 1700s, sword fights and paganism, this is for you.

• Also, Frostpunk, a game had holds up very well and very captivating, building a city to survive in the ice age of the late 1800s. If you're gonna get it, get the expansions too, they're great.

Last edited by a moderator:

nehu

Forum regular
1. FTL (Faster than light), little but great game, pausable strategy/management of spaceship, roguelike
(its in my personal top10 of all-time game, im almost 40 yo)

2. Darkest Dungeon, llovely art style but tough game, rpg/strategy/tactic/management game, not only physique but psychique plays its role

3. Into the Breach (from same creators as FTL), well crafted tactical/timetraveling game

Top Bottom