Is Johnny Silverhand gonna be in my mind 24/7?

+
To clarify, how? Prior posts indicating this don't seem quite clear on that matter.

Did you play yourself or do you refer to having read / heard it?

For the how, you can go through all the current promo material Q&A etc your self, and slowly come to the same conclusion, otherwise you will just have to wait until Dec 10th to find out.

So this has some interesting connotations. Does this mean that Johnny will be there while V is having relations with another denizen of night city, possibly critiquing their performance?

It might be like the same situation with Cortana and Master Chief. Meaning JS will only show up mostly for the main story with a little commentary here in there outside of the main campaign.

Anything better than Navi. "HEY!" "LOOK!".

I read this in the long preview of the german gaming magazine GameStar. The preview was only up und free to read for one day, but I remember it clearly: There is a way to "turn Johnny off" for a time. If you want to know more, click the *Spoiler* tag.

I didn't want to know, but despite saying he won't spoil anything of importance, the author just sprang this on me and now I know. So, BEWARE!

A ripper-doc (the one from one of the first gameplay videos) helps you identify what the Johnny-Chip does and gives you two pill bottles. They are (no joke!) red and blue. The red pills "synchronize" you more with Johnny, the blue ones turn him off for a given time – and it pisses him off, if you take them. So, that sounds crazy and exciting to me. Shame, I won't be surprised in game now...

Last edited:
I read this in the long preview of the german gaming magazine GameStar. The preview was only up und free to read for one day, but I remember it clearly: There is a way to "turn Johnny off" for a time. If you want to know more, click the *Spoiler* tag.

I didn't want to know, but despite saying he won't spoil anything of importance, the author just sprang this on me and now I know. So, BEWARE!

A ripper-doc (the one from one of the first gameplay videos) helps you identify what the Johnny-Chip does and gives you two pill bottles. They are (no joke!) red and blue. The red pills "synchronize" you more with Johnny, the blue ones turn him off for a given time – and it pisses him off, if you take them. So, that sounds crazy and exciting to me. Shame, I won't be surprised in game now...

That is actually a good way to deal with it, by ... well ... you know. It's in your hands, basically :D

I am not happy about Johnny being in my head 24/7. But I guess at the end of the day, it is a very cyberpunk-thing to happen. Your body is invaded. You are not in control of the events that shape your story.

Also, I don't know if it was a slip or misinterpretation by a journalist, but some of the latest previews made it sound like Johnny is actually the thing that brings forward the end of the game as he is slowly taking over your body and erasing you. This produces the pressure to finding a solution to the dilemma and putting you on a timer so to speak. Not to mention the various high-level enemies (cough Arasaka) who also want the chip. Of course, since this is a RPG, there is no real "rush" for you to stop doing side-content. Continuing main story is a choice.

Personally I don't like games with clear "start" and "end" anymore. Its all about the sandbox.

Of course, since this is a RPG, there is no real "rush" for you to stop doing side-content. Continuing main story is a choice.
Personally I don't like games with clear "start" and "end" anymore. Its all about the sandbox.

I know what you mean, but is there any game that can combine narrative and sandbox in a coherent way?
I loved the sandbox of MGSV: TPP, but the story barely held together.
Do you know any good examples?

I honestly can't think of good examples either. Most games I played more or less have a definite start and end.

If you want "infinite" (but no set story) and unless you can name me games that come to your mind, you have to play certain vast singleplayer or, for interaction sake, online games where the content is generated by players. Think of sandbox games with perhaps procedural elements where players drive everything. EvE Online, Dual Universe/Minecraft and the likes, or Star Citizen (in later stage) come to mind.

Whether you want to label them "RPG" is up for debate, but I feel many of those type of games contain RPG elements of sorts - the mechanics are just a bit different by design.

I know what you mean, but is there any game that can combine narrative and sandbox in a coherent way?
I loved the sandbox of MGSV: TPP, but the story barely held together.
Do you know any good examples?
Of modern games: God of War, TW3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption 2. Only one of those is an RPG really (TW3).

Of modern games: God of War, TW3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption 2. Only one of those is an RPG really (TW3).

Hmm, I guess the definition of sandbox is very wide. Open World doesn't necessarily mean Sandbox, to me at least.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE TW3 or GoW. But the decision to use the Axe, the Chaos Blades or switch between them both isn't as "sandboxy" as choosing a drop point, a time and equipment for a mission in Afghanistan in MGS5, then adapting to the circumstances and choosing another strategy on the fly...

And RDR2 gets less and less coherent story-wise, the more you play it sandbox-style.
So: Thanks for answering, but I'm not convinced. :shrug:

That's what I would do if it was an RPG anyway.

What if it was an rpg where you slotted a biochip into your head that malfunctiondd and integrated another consciousness into your head that is to advanced for any one to remove?

I mean, you can do what you described if you like. Just turn off your monitor, and sound and just randomly click around buttons. Have fun, dude.

Everyone has brought up some very valid points. On one hand, I agree that the "Silverhand mind invasion" is VERY cyberpunk and the concept fits very well about Transhumanism and the costs of embracing said philosophy...not to mention the whole "Big brother is everywhere, dystopian society, technology dependence" line of thought. To be fair though, it would kind of be an impingement of personal freedom if we have the "Johnny Ap" screwing with us every time we turn around....naturally going back into the whole "Freedom repressed, dystopian feel the genre is SUPPOSED to have. Honestly, the only way I could logically find a balance is to have Johnny "intervene" only when V is clearly going against Johnny's agenda/ making moves that would undermine these ends. After all, "Johnny" (The program) has an agenda that may/may not coincide with our own.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of Arasaka, but someone may be, one can only imagine the hell Johnny will raise if you choose to back Arasaka...
My guess is Arasaka would sooner pump V full of lead and take Jonny off their corpse than actually work with them. So that may not be an issue.

I actually wonder how deep you can work with Arasaka (employees) in both the main story narrative and then in side quests (bonus: especially if you pick Corpo background).

I guess it's no longer a secret: Majority knows we take a certain valuable object from them, so I imagine they will be out most of the time to get you collectively past that certain point. At least for a while, until perhaps a big shot, maybe even "the man" himself in the corporation offering you some kind of deal. But that surely won't happen right after the reid / heist.

It (backing them) could happen on a lower level in "side content" maybe, by individual employees. Ah, I won't crack my head on it, in about 2,5 weeks and onwards we'll see.

I'm not a big fan of Arasaka, but someone may be, one can only imagine the hell Johnny will raise if you choose to back Arasaka...

I'd best on that not being an option. Arasaka are probably going to be the primary antagonists with Adam Smasher spending most of the time wanting to kill V.

A pro-corporate V would probably have ties to some other faction. (Militech maybe, given the early connection to Stout or her replacement?)

We'll see soon in any case!

As cool as Johnny Silverhand and Keanu Reeves are, I won't like it if he's in my mind 24/7, all the time, without any control from me. Sure, on some quests his presence would be cool, but what about when I eat, when in the bathroom, or when having sex in Night City? Is he gonna watch all those, like a creepy Big Brother? I want my privacy in Night City too.
That's kind of the point of CP2077.
Thru no real fault of your own you wind up with Johnny in your brain.
Now what?
Learn to live with each other?
Let him hijack your body to the point you're just an ineffectual passenger?
Figure out how to get him out WITHOUT killing yourself?

Top Bottom