Concerns About Keanu Reeves Voice Acting

+
Judging by some of the scenes, Keanu's voice sounds great but I would like to think if it wasn't that CDPR would have let us know that they wasn't happy with his performance

Not surprising given that he is not a particularly good actor in the first place. Now, don’t get me wrong, that does not mean that he is not a good fit for a whole bunch of movies (he makes for a great John Wick for instance) but his range and ability seems to be very limited so that it is up to the director etc. to utilize him properly. While other, “proper” actors can slip into a myriad of roles and emulate many different personas, Keanu is (primarily) good at “acting” deadpan/unemotive/reserved characters. I have no idea if this kind of attitude jives with the character of Johnny Silverhand but I’m guessing based on those early reactions that the answer might be no.

Truth be told, I think he usually just acts like himself for the most part with some modicum of difference based on whoever he is supposed to portray. That would also explain the young him in Bill&Ted.

I think he can act really good, for example in "Point Break". If you have time, watch that movie, it's great.

(Fun fact: The Fast and The Furious (1) uses the plot of Point Break, just switches surfing for racing, and instead of reflecting on and questioning ideals of masculinity like the original movie, it just endorses them – that's why it was more succesful)

I think he can act really good, for example in "Point Break". If you have time, watch that movie, it's great.
It's one of those type of roles that he is actually OK at playing, the "fish out of water" newbie that's somewhat lost half the time. He plays a similar character in The Matrix and was a good fit.

Everyone loves Keanu, but I wish they never hired him to play Johnny Silverhand.

I've been listening to 16 hours gameplay impressions (IGN and Gamespot) and they agree that he's the weakest voice actor so far :eek: not gunna lie, I kinda cringed watching NCW5 with some of Keanu's lines. I knew this was going to be a problem from the start, but I was kinda hoping I would be wrong... Dang.
He's a great guy, and excellent at playing Keanu, but yes... I wondered the same.

That’s not even true as a hyperbole (let alone literally). They are still some of the biggest video game websites.

I wondered a while back if we would get some side quest where we end up stuck on some moving vehicle that we can not stop. Then up ahead the road is blocked, then Johnny appears randomly and says, "Speed it up, bro"

My favorite Keanu movie is probably Constantine.

A think a lot of people confuse his voice timbre with bad acting. He just doesn't have a huge tonal fluctuation in his voice which makes him sound more monotone. Kevin Costner sort of has the same thing and Ben Stein was able to make a career out of his voice.. It can come off as stiff and non emotional but doesn't reflect their acting ability.

A think a lot of people confuse his voice timbre with bad acting. He just doesn't have a huge tonal fluctuation in his voice which makes him sound more monotone. Kevin Costner sort of has the same thing and Ben Stein was able to make a career out of his voice.. It can come off as stiff and non emotional but doesn't reflect their acting ability.

I've havent been a huge Kevin Costner fan, but he is great on Yellowstone, a series about a large ranch in Montana.

Keanu reeves style is certainly not for everyone; it took me years for him to grow on me with just how he presents himself and his voice in particular. So i can definitely see how it can be off-putting to some while others really embrace it.

Imagine, CDPR, hired Adam Sandler instead to play as Johnny Silverhand. :coolstory:

Imagine, CDPR, hired Adam Sandler instead to play as Johnny Silverhand. :coolstory:

Well he has proven himself over and over betwixt the dumb movies and like Keanu can actually play an instrument.. .. So who knows? :p But really, since Johnny Silverhand was originally based on David Bowie they probably should have gotten somebody more David Bowie like to play him.. like Peter Murphy. Don't actually know if Peter Murphy can act but he sure does a good David Bowie voice.. Of course so did the guy from Spacehog. Remember that band? Flashback!

That's just Keanu's speech style. If you take clips of his acting from the Matrix or other movies, you would probably not think of him as a great actor when he delivers lines. Hopefully, his voice grows on you though, as it does for a lot of people who watch his movies.

Top Bottom