Patch Notes 8.0

+
2 months of waiting and... This patch is very disappointing.
So many (hundreds) cards still waiting for some love (buff/rework and nerf too). I mean next few weeks will be exciting but after that the same boring decks... again and again... for another 4-5 months (?).

rrc

Forum veteran
Why is Oak still 13? Just so it could be spawned by Alzur+Oneiro?
Damn it! Now, my remote hope for the Oak to get the much deserved provision buff is ruined. I don't think Oak will ever get provision buff as it will indirectly make the stupid Alzur card more consistent. So, it is fine to buff MO which is already too dominating and give it an un-freaking conditional 12 for 12? And not Oak which is seeing less and less play due to insane powercreep and not deserve the 13P?
Harmony getting a new category is a pretty big buff in itself. Still, I would've liked to see some slight buffs to their already existing cards as well, but maybe it's a bit more viable now we will see.
I think they are hesitant to buff it after how dominant it was an entire year. It's one of those archetypes that can very quickly spiral out of control with just a few changes.
Harmony was good for an year? I thought it was some 6-7 months. SK warriors is still freaking OP for the same amount of time and nothing is done to them? Everyone and their grandmother and their dog knew Harmony was OP ONLY due to Mystic Echo which is not there anymore. Water of Brokillon and Oak was nerfed ONLY because of Mystic Echo. So, when you destroy the Cause, why not revert the effect it had on other good cards? With simply provision buff to waters and Oak, Harmony can thrive. In this age of Gwent 12P for two 4 strenght engine which can effectively be killed with two 4P cards is just too much.

I was really hoping a buff to Harmony. It would be good to see a diverse meta. Instead of the same boring OH, SK Warriors, SW/Mobilization and PS to keep everything in check. More viable archetype is good for Gwent. And Harmony at least needs some planning and strategy and is a very interesting archetype.

Come on, a new category is a "buff?" And a "pretty big one"? Really? You play Harmony at all?
And when it was dominant it was because of the double Waters. Everyone knew it then, and everyone still knows it now. As a mechanic, Harmony is no stronger (actually weaker) than Thrive and Assimilate. Fixing the provision changes that were applied as [failed] bandaids for double Waters is not going to make it "spiral out of control."

Actually, I was yesterday playing 5 parties with harmony in Pro Rank and won 4 of them. They are not as bad and an additional category will help them.

The ONLY deck which used these cards were SK Lippy deck. And it has just got +2 provision buff.

Skellige dominance still not touched.
My forecast is 66% winrate for SK decks aggregated.

Playing Skellige is like playing on tutorial level.

Also :
Shieldwall + duel mechanics still untouched.
Either remove boost from Shieldwall ( no need for Uprising+ clone), or make duelling units remove their statuses prior duelling.

Actually, I was yesterday playing 5 parties with harmony in Pro Rank and won 4 of them. They are not as bad and an additional category will help them.
Oh, are we trying to make this "new category buff" nonsense a thing now? Back in the old Call of Harmony days, I would run enough "categories" in my deck to make it be able to pull an Oak (so... 13 of them). That didn't make my Harmony mechanic more powerful or help it in any way.

ya1

Forum regular
Coup de Grace provision changed from 10 to 9.

Damage dealt increased from 2 to 3.

That's a great change. Card is okay now. Kinda good. Could've come with a 1-point Joachim buff. This is one of the very vew sources of tempo that NG got access to.

As far as I'm concerned the Braathens change is definitely a buff despite the ability adjustment. Never need Emissaries anyway.

You dis need a proactive Brathens into Emissary sometimes. And sometimes a Mage Infiltrator. Now you'd have to include those rather bad cards to access their utility through Bratheens. It's a Informant with a body now, only good for Assimilate because nothing else has room for Informants.

From the point of view from non-assimilate NG, this is the biggest faction card nerf this patch. Coincidentally, the biggest card nerf in general - Portal - also affects NG most because Portal was most commonly used in Assimilate decks. I completely fail to understand this. Why the biggest nerfs - again - go to the weakest (by so very far according to the stats and pro player opinions) faction?

Come on, a new category is a "buff?" And a "pretty big one"? Really? You play Harmony at all?
And when it was dominant it was because of the double Waters. Everyone knew it then, and everyone still knows it now. As a mechanic, Harmony is no stronger (actually weaker) than Thrive and Assimilate. Fixing the provision changes that were applied as [failed] bandaids for double Waters is not going to make it "spiral out of control."
Did you not read the part where I said I'd want some slight buffs as well? I'm agreeing with you here, Waters and Oak should be reduced by one provision. A new easy to pull off category is a buff yes.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Did you not read the part where I said I'd want some slight buffs as well? I'm agreeing with you here, Waters and Oak should be reduced by one provision. A new easy to pull off category is a buff yes.
Yes, I read that part. Was I supposed to address that somehow before arguing against your reasoning of the devs' reluctance to fix Harmony provisions?
And once again, a new category is not a "buff" to Harmony, any more than a new card with 2 health a buff to Thrive.

• RED Point
From the point of view from non-assimilate NG, this is the biggest faction card nerf this patch.
No, from the point of view of a player, you. You can only speak for yourself, anything more is stating opinions as facts (which is why I specifically stated "as far as I'm concerned" in my post).

ya1

Forum regular
You can only speak for yourself,

I can also speak for what I see other players do. Including the best players in the game. And (outside Informants in Assimilate) I don't remember anyone ever using any bronze spies in any deck. Maybe in the first week after MM when people where still experimenting.

Sorry but this is the same strory all over again. Trying to balance the game and getting into some peculiar line of thought that kinda makes sense at first but in the end results in nerfing the weakest or buffing the strongest or some other mishaps. Bratheens was used all accross NG decks as a flexible tempo play. Now, that's gone. NG was nerfed again. It's kinda funny at this point, really...

Yes, I read that part. Was I supposed to address that somehow before arguing against your reasoning of the devs' reluctance to fix Harmony provisions?
And once again, a new category is not a "buff" to Harmony, any more than a new card with 2 health a buff to Thrive.
So you don't think Harmony decks will now use Witchers as well in order to get more boosts?
I don't find Thrive and Harmony to be a good comparison, the playstyles are entirely different. You don't have Thrive (2) for example, this wouldn't work. Harmony does not rely on stacking tall and consuming to go even taller. Adding even taller units for Thrive wouldn't make a difference as it can already go as tall as it wants with consumes. And lastly, hardly any of the units really function the same. Thrive has no poison units, no movement, no handbuffs, no category focused gameplay.
Anyway, I didn't intend for this to start a big argument. I really just wanted to point out that they would be getting a new category, which I consider a buff. We don't have to agree on this.

This it? Pathetic...
46% of SK decks are warriors (easy mode for no effort victories), 50% are Lippiy Gudmond+Cerys, and then then the other 4% are the rest of SK decks!
What we needed was to 1st make warriors deck less 100% wins and also try and diversify SK playstyles so there isn't ONLY 2 DECKS BEING PLAYED. But instead what we get? - A 2 prov buff to Lippy decks so maybe a few Warrior easymode players might switch to Lippy.
-_-

I can also speak for what I see other players do. Including the best players in the game. And (outside Informants in Assimilate) I don't remember anyone ever using any bronze spies in any deck. Maybe in the first week after MM when people where still experimenting.

Sorry but this is the same strory all over again. Trying to balance the game and getting into some peculiar line of thought that kinda makes sense at first but in the end results in nerfing the weakest or buffing the strongest or some other mishaps. Bratheens was used all accross NG decks as a flexible tempo play. Now, that's gone. NG was nerfed again. It's kinda funny at this point, really...
No matter how many times you call the Braathens buff a nerf doesn't make it true. The decks already using Braathens can remain pretty much the same.
What are these Braathens decks you speak off that have no room for one single Informant or the buffed Emissary that is now a 4 for 6 that also synergizes? I question whether Braathens belongs in these decks at all.

So you don't think Harmony decks will now use Witchers as well in order to get more boosts?
Sure, they might, but that's not a buff to Harmony, because you're not getting "more boosts". You're probably replacing some poor powercrept card like the Chariot or an Abandoned Girl with a Witcher. That's just giving ST new cards to play, which may or may not be better than existing cards. Hell, it's not even a real buff to ST, because it's an expansion, and all factions are getting new cards. The only "real" buff here is to the movement archtype, and THAT does seem like a pretty big one.

• RED Point
This patch is a good joke.
Coorathi heatwave in every single deck? No problem.
Imba combo of whitchers 9 for 21 - lets give them adrenalin. Cerys 15 stats any time is totally ok.
Braathens? To versatile need to nerf deckbuilding stage. Nature protector + rebuke = 7+5 control - perfectly balanced. Can be in any ST deck no need to touch it.
Novigrad justice - nah probably needs buff. Cause only like 99% of players played precision strike every single red coin game.
And last but to least op wild hunt bronze cards 3+3 with dominance condition. You have to nerf them CD project. You have to nerf them.

DRK3

Forum veteran
1st of all, i would like to praise the dev (PR?) team, for finally releasing patch notes a day before the actual expansion.
In most if not all of previous updates and expansions, the patch notes only came out on the day of release, which its terrible because most players would dive into the game and wouldnt waste time checking them when they could be playing it already.

Then, i want to adress the users here, expressing their disappointment for the not-enough amount of upcoming balance changes:
Making a huge set of balance changes on old cards at the same time an expansion with many new cards are released would be very unproductive. The best time to release such updates would be on months without new content, like past October.

And dont be naive - complaining the OP cards that are dominating at the moment arent getting nerfed? After tomorrow, its likely that MOST of those cards will be replaced by even more powercrept, OP cards, and the devs should be already bracing themselves to monitor the reception of the new cards and hotfix any broken combos that come up ASAP.

I think a lot of players are looking at the rebalancing from the point of view of “How do these changes impact existing decks?” when a better question is, “How do these increase the potential for a variety of potential decks?”

With this expansion, there are are a lot of likely changes to the meta. Moreover, there are several new or significantly improved archetypes the power of which I cannot predict.

To me, it is far too early to be crying about how poor Nilfgaard got shafted again or declaring the utter dominance of SK warriors because it didn’t get nerfed (even though it got absolutely nothing in the expansion).

1st of all, i would like to praise the dev (PR?) team, for finally releasing patch notes a day before the actual expansion.
In most if not all of previous updates and expansions, the patch notes only came out on the day of release, which its terrible because most players would dive into the game and wouldnt waste time checking them when they could be playing it already.

Then, i want to adress the users here, expressing their disappointment for the not-enough amount of upcoming balance changes:
Making a huge set of balance changes on old cards at the same time an expansion with many new cards are released would be very unproductive. The best time to release such updates would be on months without new content, like past October.

And dont be naive - complaining the OP cards that are dominating at the moment arent getting nerfed? After tomorrow, its likely that MOST of those cards will be replaced by even more powercrept, OP cards, and the devs should be already bracing themselves to monitor the reception of the new cards and hotfix any broken combos that come up ASAP.

Some decks will still remain the same, I don't see any new cards so blatantly OP to completely change those decks ( or broken combos without setup ), like:
- NR triple duel
- NR revenant control
- OH Haunt
- ST precision strike ( maybe only increase of use of GT? )
- SK warrior ( provisions are strict, I can see only the totem going away, maybe mork too but I doubt it )
- SY hidden cache

Some cards are still too strong, stronger than many cards of the upcoming expansions and none of them are being addressed.

Playing Skellige is like playing on tutorial level.
46% of SK decks are warriors (easy mode for no effort victories)....
maybe a few Warrior easymode players might switch to Lippy.
-_-

Is it only me? I find comments like these insulting and inappropriate. Complaining about cards or archetypes being overpowered is reasonable; effectively asserting that players of those decks cannot or do not think is not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom