Cyberpunk 2077 REVIEWS - links & discussion

+
So MadQueen is just running a live stream with questions about the game, a few things I heard which are quite opposite to mainstream media reviews:

- she's 50 hours into the game and as she says "she barely scratched the surface"; not even finished the game yet
- she's surprised by the discussion about the game being super buggy because she experienced only some minor bugs; nothing comparable to Bethesda games for example
- Keanu Reeves' performance is amazing; way better than other voice actors
- the game generally definitely lived up to the hype for her
When hearing these different reviews you would think that people had played a completely different game. They are all over the place to statements being the exact opposite of each other. Almost to the point where you would just wish there weren't any :D

If you listen to this guy, his experience is very different from what many of the other reviewers have said. Compare this, to how Gamespot would rate it a 7/10. It really doesn't sound like they played the same game, or at least they approached it with very different expectations.

The game sounds to be a good one, the issue with the bugs is just about timing - they will get patched.

Just means I'm going to play defensively with regular saves and keep an eye out on the forum for any game breaker workarounds.

I've played buggy games before.

(Anthem and Valhalla come to mind)

When hearing these different reviews you would think that people had played a completely different game. They are all over the place to statements being the exact opposite of each other. Almost to the point where you would just wish there weren't any :D

If you listen to this guy, his experience is very different from what many of the other reviewers have said. Compare this, to how Gamespot would rate it a 7/10. It really doesn't sound like they played the same game, or at least they approached it with very different expectations.

I was thinking about how different some of these reviews read too.

Obviously, there's always to going to be variance because of the subjectivity involved but I can't help but wonder if, in this case, the sheer scale and scope of what is being attempted is adding to it.

How many of these reviewers played the vast majority of CP? How many like the idea of immersing themselves in Nightcity for 100+ hours? How many like it's dark themes? How many are very particular about stealth, gunplay, levelling systems, story and so on.

There's just so much being attempted in this game. One comment often seen was how there are familiar elements from several of the most popular games in recent years in addition to everything else it brings to the table. In other words, there's a lot to experience but also therefore a lot to criticise.

When id Software make a Doom game, they have the luxury of focusing on a very narrow selection of elements. The game is purely about fun, fast and brutal gunplay and only needs to last 15 hours or so. There are fewer mechanics to criticise. Therefore if you can fufill that, you've got the job done. I'm not saying it's easy, but it must be easier to focus on that as opposed to making a game with a much broader range of elements.

I was thinking about how different some of these reviews read too.

Obviously, there's always to going to be variance because of the subjectivity involved but I can't help but wonder if, in this case, the sheer scale and scope of what is being attempted is adding to it.

How many of these reviewers played the vast majority of CP? How many like the idea of immersing themselves in Nightcity for 100+ hours? How many like it's dark themes? How many are very particular about stealth, gunplay, levelling systems, story and so on.

There's just so much being attempted in this game. One comment often seen was how there are familiar elements from several of the most popular games in recent years in addition to everything else it brings to the table. In other words, there's a lot to experience but also therefore a lot to criticise.

When id Software make a Doom game, they have the luxury of focusing on a very narrow selection of elements. The game is purely about fun, fast and brutal gunplay and only needs to last 15 hours or so. There are fewer mechanics to criticise. Therefore if you can fufill that, you've got the job done. I'm not saying it's easy, but it must be easier to focus on that as opposed to making a game with a much broader range of elements.
I think your right.

And this is obviously just me guessing. But I can't help think that maybe it's due to different type of players. Some like being told exactly what to do next, where to go and what exactly the consequence of a given action you might do have for the story and game before you choose it. So maybe to them it just seems a bit strange or pointless. And maybe those that just enjoy trying to figure it out on their own, go explore and just give it a shot, might simply enjoy it more, because of all the things you can get yourself immersed into, whether that is the city itself, the atmosphere and setting, the RP etc. So they really like it.

For me, I love that not all quests have clear indication from what I understand and you don't know what the consequences of you doing something is. And you can just go about it in the way you prefer, without constantly being told what and how to do it and when to do it. I tried GTA 5 and can see its appeal, the open world etc. But I felt more like a spectator, not really caring about the characters, despite them being well written and all, at least those I saw. But eventually it got a bit boring as it basically just felt like all the other GTA games and have run a bit dry in those. But fully understand why people like them, but I think they would be better, if you could make your own character and had dialog options as well.

I have seen some reviewers complain about some of details, that they are merely plastering rather than all that useful. But to me these are all part of making the game interesting, not everything have to be the most important thing ever or be linked to the main story.

To me it seems like some of the reviewers have just tried to beat the main story as fast as possible, so they could get the review out, which at least as far as I understand it, really take away from the whole experience as you are only getting the minimum of what the story/game has to offer.

So I kind of like, how CDPR added substance to the side missions, so they are not only go kill this guy, hack this, collect 5 of these. Which is basically what makes some other open world games side quests boring, when its nothing but that.

AC Valhalla had at least a few bugs/ glitches & crashed several times .... I'm usually lucky in not experiencing as many issues as others report & I could never report back to Reda after doing 10 contracts, for instance! With this game, there's an update about 2/3rds the size of the game that isn't out yet? That's bound to address the most significant stuff & I'm sure they'll do their best with anything left or new things that haven't been found, etc :howdy:

How many of these reviewers played the vast majority of CP?

Dantics said that many reviewers only got their review copies on saturday, and three days is simply not enough time to explore everything Night City has to offer. This might have something to do with that. Also, not every content creator got a code.

OMG, who did the french traduction?

They basically translated "COOL" stat by "COLD BLOOD" while "COOL" is wildely used in french and "COLD BLOOD" lose half the meaning of it...
:facepalm:

Last edited:
OMG, who did the french traduction?

They basically traduced "COOL" stat by "COLD BLOOD" while "COOL" is wildely used in french and "COLD BLOOD" lose half the meaning of it...

Traduce is not the word you are looking for. Do you mean translate?

Im not sure what you are saying.

What about the people/fans who bought the game on a physicals copies and paid even more and directly to CDPR (my copy is with GOG activation code (at least will be if I ever receive it))?
Are we the only ones forgotten :( we pay more to play later :( I will be able to receive my copy tomorrow (contacted the courier they are not interested by the fact that the game is already released). I cannot predownloaded it ( contacted CDPR support to predownloaded it but I need my activation key that is in the copy in my courier). So it seems we will be able to play 3 days after the rest of the world (downloading time included). Is that fair by any means?

That's the same as any other physical order, though .... When you get an XBox One, PS4/5 or Series S/X physical game delivered, you can't just put it in & play! You have to install it & if there's a patch, it'll have to download that as well?

That's the same as any other physical order, though .... When you get an XBox One, PS4/5 or Series S/X physical game delivered, you can't just put it in & play! You have to install it & if there's a patch, it'll have to download that as well?
It is the same for PC I will receive a key so afterwards I will have to download game and patch.

What about the people/fans who bought the game on a physicals copies and paid even more and directly to CDPR (my copy is with GOG activation code (at least will be if I ever receive it))?
Are we the only ones forgotten :( we pay more to play later :( I will be able to receive my copy tomorrow (contacted the courier they are not interested by the fact that the game is already released). I cannot predownloaded it ( contacted CDPR support to predownloaded it but I need my activation key that is in the copy in my courier). So it seems we will be able to play 3 days after the rest of the world (downloading time included). Is that fair by any means?
Yeah... that's how physical copies work.
You might get it early (like the people who got their CEs from Best Buy early) or might get it late. It's one of the perks/disadvantages of buying physical copies.

Yeah... that's how physical copies work.
You might get it early (like the people who got their CEs from Best Buy early) or might get it late. It's one of the perks/disadvantages of buying physical copies.

Yea It's just not fair. I have been always from the people who protected each delay and supported "It will be done when it's done" and was willing to wait. But now It's different when most of the world is playing and you are waiting 2-3 more days it's a real bummer. There should be a way that could work for all - for example to let us authenticate with the preorder documents we have so we could at least preload it.

Yea It's just not fair. I have been always from the people who protected each delay and supported "It will be done when it's done" and was willing to wait. But now It's different when most of the world is playing and you are waiting 2-3 more days it's a real bummer. There should be a way that could work for all - for example to let us authenticate with the preorder documents we have so we could at least preload it.
That's you having bad luck with your copy not arriving on the release day. These things can happen with physical copies.
You want CDPR to authenticate your purchase with whatever retailer you bought it from. Do you not see teh logistical issues with that?

Not to be a dick but perhaps consider buying digital next time.

That's you having bad luck with your copy not arriving on the release day. These things can happen with physical copies.
You want CDPR to authenticate your purchase with whatever retailer you bought it from. Do you not see teh logistical issues with that?

Not to be a dick but perhaps consider buying digital next time.

No the problems I see are two:
1. they release the game day early (great for the rest) bad for us. The problem here they did not informed their retailer network that they could ship us the game on 9th of December (my order is stating packed and ready since 2 days) so it could have been delivered today if the retailers were allowed.
2. They are sparing from physicals disc on the PC version (so we have to download all the contend as the rest). So if they spare from that - they should have give us a way to predownloaded like the rest of their clients or no predownloaded should have been allowed at all.

If you combine those 2 you will receive a spread of 2-3 days based on download speed. And I have ordered and pay a "Day one edition" and I'm not getting that - this is not alright.

PS: And the saddest thing is that even the people who did not bought the game will be able to play it before us :(
[...]

Last edited:

So Yong demonstrates here that there's no variable movement speed for PC. Only on console where you have the analog stick. Not a huge deal but it's a shame since stealth would be greatly enhanced on PC if this were an available.

Edit- a dev contacted him and said it will be added! :ok:

Top Bottom