is cyberpunk nietzschean or hegelian?

+

p00ke

Forum regular
is cyberpunk nietzschean or hegelian?

or deconstructivist ? what are the lessons or messages we can get from cyberpunk in general and in the game ?

Neither! Nietzsche's actually optimistic in his whole ubermensch idea, which really doesn't apply to this main story, and Hegels' thesis - antithesis => synthesis ( = thesis again) is too neat since its a lot more complex. Maybe it's deconstructivist, but with all the cute references and homages this game has, i don't think that's the case either.

How about you just play the game and have fun instead of thinking too much about the "meaning" of evey story element?

p00ke

Forum regular
games are not only entertainment, every cutltural object has a meaning and give keys and light about the society and the philosophy. Look at Kojima's games, they make sense to me.
For instance, we are living in the age of technology, what does it mean ? bio chips is also an interesting question etc..

Neither! Nietzsche's actually optimistic in his whole ubermensch idea, which really doesn't apply to this main story, and Hegels' thesis - antithesis => synthesis ( = thesis again) is too neat since its a lot more complex. Maybe it's deconstructivist, but with all the cute references and homages this game has, i don't think that's the case either.

One could say that this game is nihilistic passive, as the main characters just accept the way their world functions as it is, without really opposing it.

Especially Johnny, who thinks he could be an active nihilistic but isn't at all one.

At best this game steams from Schopenhauer's philosophy about how nothing really improves and the only real way of understanding the world is through the means of ascetism.

One could say that this game is nihilistic passive, as the main characters just accept the way their world functions as it is, without really opposing it.

Especially Johnny, who thinks he could be an active nihilistic but isn't at all one.
Interesting, it makes me think of greek tragedy.

Interesting, it makes me think of greek tragedy.
The problem with Greek tragedy is that this story dies not fit.

The only thing that fits is that the protagonist made a stupid decision the rest is tragic but that does not make it a tragedy.

First important factor is the background of the protagonist. In a tragedy, the protagonist can not be from societies underbelly, because their life itself is a tragedy and therefore not interesting. You can show the protagonists fall, if the protagonist is already living at the bottom.

I wish they had played with V becoming a cyberpsycho after having Johnny in our head too long or after we have gone full borg. The game doesn't really show it but by the time you have filled all your cyberware slots your quite literally a completely different V, very Ship of Thesues. I wish that if felt like the threat of that happening was there even if it was an empty threat worked great for the game SOMA.

Is this the thread were i find all the ppl responsible for "artistic integrity"

Get up against wall ;)

Last edited:
First important factor is the background of the protagonist. In a tragedy, the protagonist can not be from societies underbelly, because their life itself is a tragedy and therefore not interesting. You can show the protagonists fall, if the protagonist is already living at the bottom.

If you start as a corpo it perfectly fits your requirement.

Oh and btw.
Not even corpo V fits to a tragedy, because V has not other choice than to hell her boss.

V is a pawn that gets sacrificed - that's not tragic, because V had no choice to begin with.

Baudrillard? I remember a shard mentioning Heidegger but I can't remember the place or context.

If we take endings into account it is more about if individual success (fame and money) is more worth it than deep personal relationships. More like Freedman vs. Froydian Marxism, but we look way too much in to it. However Johnny's ending also dismisses idealism to a degree. So in that sense the game can be abit nihilistic (more in a Sartrian way, but again, we overcomplicate things).

Top Bottom