Why missing Cinematic/3rd person Cutscenes is THE biggest flaw

+
I would say the third person thing is a priority and they can't even think about multiplayer without fixing third person.

Unless they want all other players to look weird like the third person mods do.

What I don't understand is why can't they get third person right? Every other games have no problem with this.
From what I can tell the company was severely understaffed struggling due to the pandemic and the leadership was just like "it's fine! everything's fine!" all the way up until the release date. And frankly it seems like they struggled with every aspect of this game character customization, clothing, A.I., driving, and so on. A functional cohesive game this is not. They have a vary long way to go before they should attempt multiplayer.

When it comes down to is there isn't a valid excuse for any of the shortcomings of this game. If it was too hard for them to do they shouldn't have overhyped it. If it was a company capable of living up to the hype why did it happen? Either way they have taken their actions, they have caused their effects, they are now incurring the consequences, and there are two choices ahead of them.

I think that cutting out cinematic cutscenes is one of, if not THE biggest issue I have with cyberpunk 2077.
Why you might ask?
Well, lets just compare two scenes of actual ingame footage and the cinematic we got back in 2019.
If you havent already progressed to “The Heist”- Mission ingame and never seen the E3 2019 trailer displaying that mission, the following does contain heavy story spoilers! If you do not want to see these spoilers, scroll past that video link and read on.

If you don’t remeber the E3 gameplay, here’s a very good video (not mine) which shows ingame- and trailer footage side by side :

-SPOILER BEGINNING!-

-SPOILER END-

Now that’s a huge difference, right? No, I don’t mean the graphics, which are obiviously cgi in the trailer, I mean the emotions that those scenes trigger. Many players have a hard time connecting to “their” V and there’s a simple reason for this. To really engage to a fictional character, we need to see their emotional reactions to build that empathy needed to feel with them.
In the trailer you can see the anger, sadness and desperation in Vs eyes, whereas in the final game we’re just a pack of floating eyeballs.

Sure, the scene is still very emotional, but seeing our main character reacting to the unfortunate events would really help us bond with him/her.
Take the mass effect trilogy for example (or any other movie/game considered “great”): We feel so attached to the main character because we can actually SEE what he/she’s going through and after a certain time we can actually immerse into their view. Also no one minds seeing their hand-made character pulling of some badass moves.

While first person view really suits this game during acutal gameplay, the missed opportunity of telling this absolutely great story in a cinematic and engaging way always leaves a feeling of well....disappointment.
For me the JALI is a disappointment. In comparison to other games like Kingdom Come Deliverence or Mass Effect the face animations and movements in CP are better but i would like to see more face expressions.
I like the first person view and i might think cut scenes in third person would be good for this game.

Last edited:
Yea, lots of weird facial expressions that takes a while to load (otherwise the face just doesn't move).

Lots of really wacky exploration, lack of any invisible wall to keep you from doing it so people were uncovering all kinds of "cut content" (I they are not really cut content but rather assets used in a side quest the youtuber never personally encountered). For example the "floating school" on the edge of the map (used in a BD in a side quest).

I mean the game is ambitious but at times the same seems partially finished.

There are very few RPGs that do full cinematic cutscenes for character interactions. The ones that do accomplish it by just having two characters stand in an idle pose and face each other while talking. One of CP2077's actual strengths is the level of detail that they put into the interactions, which often just employ a person idling while their mouth moves, maybe they play their arm lifting animation to hand you something, that's about it. The player interactions in CP however, feel closer to an actual conversation compared to most games in the genre.

There's no point in asking for 3rd person in those scenes, the camera work would be a nightmare and just mean more bugs.

There are very few RPGs that do full cinematic cutscenes for character interactions. The ones that do accomplish it by just having two characters stand in an idle pose and face each other while talking. One of CP2077's actual strengths is the level of detail that they put into the interactions, which often just employ a person idling while their mouth moves, maybe they play their arm lifting animation to hand you something, that's about it. The player interactions in CP however, feel closer to an actual conversation compared to most games in the genre.

There's no point in asking for 3rd person in those scenes, the camera work would be a nightmare and just mean more bugs.
Still, you cant do multi player without third person. So either they will have to simplify a few things, or ditch multi player altogether.

I think a lot of people miss the point what 3d cutscenes bring to the table. Usually durning those scenes our characters interacts somehow with the world - in a way that we cannot in our FP mode. Take an example from e3 demo. V is waking up, clothes scattered on floor, joytoy is collecting them and sneaking out while counting the money. V is straightening up, checking bottle, annoyed look. Cut to ordering drink from vending machine, cut to brushing teeth. Cut to wide angle room view, radio playing news. Cut to V taking a drink and eyes catching a light in her Kiroshis. And all additional gestures.

Anyway durning this short cutscenes - we get much more world building, much more world interaction. Much more of impression of V being a living being instead of V just standing still looking around and being just a camera. Without any real interaction with surroundings. Static. Plain and a bit boring.

It's immersive in the sense that you get to see things from V's perspective which helps with the immersion of "being" V, but since this isn't a braindance, V's emotional state isn't conveyed perfectly through their sight and voice alone. The effect is a bit like someone strapping a go-pro to their head, it captures their perspective but you'll miss out on the emotions communicated by their body language and facial expressions.

A third-person perspective would cover that gap.

I don't play games to watch movies. I get some ppl are all about that (thus the roaring success of Naughty Dogs Cinematic experiences) but frankly that's an absolute dead end as far as evolving the medium goes.

I purposely do not watch "Cinematic" trailers for games. The word Cinematic means worthy quality to be shown in a cinema type environment. They seldom, if ever look anything lke the actual game and lead to hysterics once the game actully comes out. It's like going to see a Marvel movie after a trailer and then being so damn bored by the vapidness you go and watch Sophies Choice.

Doom, we had that on modem era, for squad based game modes Halo MP isn't a thing?

Sure, if it's just single player they don't need to get the player model animation right, just right as far as players can see it. They can just not program the npcs to react to the weird-ness.

But in multi player it's other players looking at your weirdly animated character, and you watching other player's weirdly animated character.

Sure, if it's just single player they don't need to get the player model animation right, just right as far as players can see it. They can just not program the npcs to react to the weird-ness.

But in multi player it's other players looking at your weirdly animated character, and you watching other player's weirdly animated character.
Now I understand. They may very well fix player character model but I don't know if that necessarily means that MP will be in 3rd perspective. I don't have preference regarding MP either way.

Yea, That was what I was trying to say. In a single player game nobody is looking at you, and npc don't care.

But in a game full of player characters, they have to get player animation right because they will be looking at your model, and you will be looking at their's. So even if it's first person from your perspective, it is third person from their's. Having every player doing janky things is not going to make a good multiplayer game.

I think that cutting out cinematic cutscenes is one of, if not THE biggest issue I have with cyberpunk 2077.
Why you might ask?
Well, lets just compare two scenes of actual ingame footage and the cinematic we got back in 2019.
If you havent already progressed to “The Heist”- Mission ingame and never seen the E3 2019 trailer displaying that mission, the following does contain heavy story spoilers! If you do not want to see these spoilers, scroll past that video link and read on.

If you don’t remeber the E3 gameplay, here’s a very good video (not mine) which shows ingame- and trailer footage side by side :

-SPOILER BEGINNING!-

-SPOILER END-

Now that’s a huge difference, right? No, I don’t mean the graphics, which are obiviously cgi in the trailer, I mean the emotions that those scenes trigger. Many players have a hard time connecting to “their” V and there’s a simple reason for this. To really engage to a fictional character, we need to see their emotional reactions to build that empathy needed to feel with them.
In the trailer you can see the anger, sadness and desperation in Vs eyes, whereas in the final game we’re just a pack of floating eyeballs.

Sure, the scene is still very emotional, but seeing our main character reacting to the unfortunate events would really help us bond with him/her.
Take the mass effect trilogy for example (or any other movie/game considered “great”): We feel so attached to the main character because we can actually SEE what he/she’s going through and after a certain time we can actually immerse into their view. Also no one minds seeing their hand-made character pulling of some badass moves.

While first person view really suits this game during acutal gameplay, the missed opportunity of telling this absolutely great story in a cinematic and engaging way always leaves a feeling of well....disappointment.
I agree, 3rd person cutscenes allow us to see V and hearing the voice.
Making it much more of an intense experience.
When I first beat the game and saw my V speaking in 3rd person, it blew me away. It gave my character, CHARACTER!

i think it would have been good having 3rth person cutscenes after a timelapse, before entering again in fp. I love that perspective, makes everithing more personal and more "role" like for me. I would like more body language for part of v, i think that it lacks a bit in that aspect

Meh the thread can reach a million pages and all that will be evident is some prefer FP while some others prefer TP

As i've said before the game was released kn 2020 not 2000 and for the genre it sits in it should've offered both options with the click of a button plus in-game cutscenes for the story it was telling.

In Skyrim i constantly toggle between FP and TP, FP while in combat and TP exploring and dialogue

I feel more immersion seeing my char TP seeing there reactions getting emotional myself if its done well, i feel zero immersion not seeing my char an worse feel zero emotion even when my chars all emotional in FP

You're right. The half-arsed combat, lack of immersion, horrid driving mechanics, and all around lack of polish and updates are nowhere near as important as the cutscenes.

Top Bottom