Sony Sounds Bitter About the Cyberpunk 2077 Debacle

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Cyberpunk 2077’s disastrous PlayStation 4 launch is well documented, and Sony still sounds bitter about it. The game was ultimately removed from the PlayStation Store, where it’s remained absent for over two months now. The platform holder was also forced to completely alter its refund policy specifically for the sci-fi blockbuster. Needless to say, PlayStation boss Jim Ryan is p*ssed.

As part of an interview with GQ, the outspoken executive explained that his company is willing to delay software that isn’t up to scratch – unlike others. “We’re feeling pretty good about Returnal, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, and Horizon Forbidden West [releasing this year],” he said. “And, you know, there are two approaches to this: you can either hold the date and put out the game irrespective of quality or you can ship it when it’s right.

Then comes the shade: “We have always taken the latter approach. There have been some fairly high-profile instances of publishers trying the former approach. It never works at the best of times. But I think in this world, where creative people are working remotely, you’ve just got to respect the fact that that development needs to take what it needs to take and to get the games right.”

the real problem is that with Jim Ryan as CEO forget a good refund policy

CDPR needs some respect and this declaration from Jim Ryan is way out of context

Last edited:
[...] CDPR put out an official statement amounting refunds, but never asked Sony about it.

CDPR needs a lesson in humility.

ehhh sony been putting out questionable products with questionable initial rollouts for like 30 years. for a manufacturer, ps5 supply issues is basically like day one bugs for digital software.

wait 4 months for bug fixes, or wait 4 months for supply. nvm ps3 10% failure rate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but FO76 was never taken from ps store was it?
Only reason I can think off why this is being said now allegedly is because of FO blowout ánd CDPR do issuing refunds (as should under the circumstances) and sony just doesnt like it.

Well, from a purely business perspective ....

A game's development over which they had no control turned out really bad on their console. Furthermore, the company responsible for the game's state made a pretty large, albeit generous, refund offer placing Sony (and it's shitty refund policy) in a tough position. It generates expenses on their end.

On top of that the situation seemed worse on PS4 than it was on Xbox One, begging the question if Sony's console wasn't getting less attention than it should've. At least FO76 was (still is?) a shit show on any and every platform.

Cyberpunk 2077 isn't a system seller either. Unless CDPR improves the game massively, it probably won't ever be.

There is literally no reason for them not to be mad at the situation.

Sounds like GQ putting words in his mouth there, whether he was specifically referring to CD Projekt and Cyberpunk 2077, who knows. I'm not excusing the state of CP2077 at launch/pre-hotfix, their lies of omission regarding "old gen", or even in its current state - but I'm sure Sony pulled the game from the PS Store to counter further refunds/controversy, less so that the game was not 'up to scratch'. Sony's refund policy as it is is terribly anti-consumer, getting a refund from them is like trying to get blood from a stone.

To compare, though - I've played multiple AAA games on PS4 that weren't pulled that had many more frequent crashes and glitches; Assassin's Creed Unity (kicking out CE-34878-0 errors like there's no tomorrow), AC Syndicate and Fallout 4 to name a few, not to mention some utter trainwrecks that were available on PS3. Though I know strangely there isn't the level of parity you'd expect from multiple users on the same equipment; some encounter multiple crashes whilst others don't, but anyway - none of those were pulled from the store. Maybe CP2077 was just a more highly anticipated, bigger target, but how did Sony allow such a crash-happy piece of software on their store in the first place?

unfortunately i'd have to agree with Jim Ryans sentiment.
The whole launch of this game has been a complete clusterf*** and its CDPR that are responsible, almost every aspect of the game has been mishandled. The marketing strategy was to completely mislead consumers regarding the quality of the game initially and then bring it up to standard via patches. This is what Jim is alluding to and the shade is necessary otherwise it could be considered acceptable in future developments.

Guest 4519094

yup ... when even the CEO is just a shit poster ...
wonder what he'd say about how his company treated the NMS devs or the FFXV release ... jesus fucking christ those corpos are the worst.

Well, from a purely business perspective ....

A game's development over which they had no control turned out really bad on their console. Furthermore, the company responsible for the game's state made a pretty large, albeit generous, refund offer placing Sony (and it's shitty refund policy) in a tough position. It generates expenses on their end.

On top of that the situation seemed worse on PS4 than it was on Xbox One, begging the question if Sony's console wasn't getting less attention than it should've. At least FO76 was (still is?) a shit show on any and every platform.

Cyberpunk 2077 isn't a system seller either. Unless CDPR improves the game massively, it probably won't ever be.

There is literally no reason for them not to be mad at the situation.
Dont get me wrong, in general he is correct in what he said. Games (or anything for that matter) should only be presented when done and complete. So I agree with that. But if this is specifically adressed now because of CP77, then I also must conclude its rather hypocritical seeing as what FO76 ended up being, and I can definately imagine Sony being smart enough to let Beth take the fall 2 years ago since Beth themselves didn't even refund (which then walks thesame line as Sony). Sony kept their mouth shut very cleverly.

With regards to CP77's PS4 performance, yes I experienced some crashes and bugs, but nothing was game breaking to the point the game was unplayable or unbearable, so I am one those players who simply didn't have that bad experience (call me lucky).

In the end, CP77's state (for some being truly horrendous) remains inexcusable, they need to fix that, but are doing so thankfully.
Its just that I cannot help but feel like these 2 different bars being used as measurement.
CDPR effed up, and are now under sanction to fix their mess. Okay, they indeed commited to fck-uppery, can happen. But they are treated now as if its EA (or Beth, or Ubi or ActiVi) after purposefully effing up on multiple occasions and people still fall for it because they still do it. And that is also not fair if you ask me.

While he's technically correct it was both disrespectful and childish. Things are not all sunshine and roses in Sonyville. At this point I'm more inclined to believe that Sony said "screw you" to the whole refund thing so CDPR forced their hand.

This isn't to say that CDPR doesn't need to seriously step it up to fix things, because they obviously do.

TPP vs FPP meet "What is an RPG?". "What is an RPG"? meet "What's wrong with CP2077?". It is official. The dead horse is in fact a shapeshifter.

Maybe CP2077 was just a more highly anticipated, bigger target, but how did Sony allow such a crash-happy piece of software on their store in the first place?

I'm not taking any sides because at this point I have no horse in this race. Whether it's dead, alive or of the shapeshifter variety.

Anyway, I seem to recall the investor call transcript where it was implied the console platform certification process gave CP2077 a bit more leeway than usual. Something about console platforms accepting the CDPR claims they would fix certain critical issues by the day of release. I have no idea why. If that answers your question.

I will now proceed to deeply meditate on spreading happy thoughts to all past, present and future posters in this thread. Whoosah. Carry on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom