Games you used to play before Gwent

+
Are there any games you used to play, you enjoyed, Maybe games which lead up to you liking Gwent e.g.

I assume most Gwent players like The Witcher series of course.

Personally for me the most memorable games:

Xenon 2 the megablast
Gods (bitmap brothers)
Zeliard
Shadow over Mystara/Tower of Doom
Golden Axe
Baldurs Gate
Grim Dawn
RayForce
Hero's quest/quest for glory 1

I also played Golden Axe (1) on the Master System and Golden Axe 2 on the Mega Drive/Genesis.
With a few detours, that straight up led to Balsur's Gate, Gothic, The Witcher and now to Gwent ; )

Spellcraft: Descent Into Chaos: an absolutely wonderful CCG with a great solitaire option as well as PvP, passionate developers, interesting and balanced factions, and huge deck variety. Unfortunately the game never developed a strong player base, and is presently pretty inactive.

I never would have been interested in GWENT if I hadn't played the Witcher gamers, and I never would have played the Witcher games if I hadn't played Skyrim, and I never would've played Skyrim if I hadn't played the original Need for Speed Most Wanted.

Somewhat of a strange chain, I know. That's just a barebones version of it. :coolstory:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Well, the thread question is a bit vague, if i would list all games i played before Gwent it would be thousands of games long, lets skip that.

I will mention a few games, for specific reasons:

- Pokemon, the trading card game (not the videogame, the physical cards) - this is where i started liking collectible card games, and after i stopped, i didnt play any other... until Gwent

- The Witcher series, started with 1 and the books, had to skip the 2nd due to lack of hardware, played TW3 and loved Gwent there, so as soon as the beta for the standalone verson was announced on E3, i signed up

- Team Fortress 2. It has nothing to do with Gwent, but there's a connection for me. I play mostly console, but the games i spend most time are on PC, where i tend to focus on a single game. it was TF2 (2010-14) which was replaced by Gwent (2016-now)

I kinda went nuts on Gwent and to get 2 sets of all 4 decks I ended up buying special editions awhile after the game was out for Xbox, Playstation and even PC, as they mixed up where you could get each type. I ended up making the money back by selling the other items on eBay; Game discs, book, other thingy's I can't remember. I kept the statue of Geralt slaying the dragon and the cloth map, as well as all the decks of course.

gwent.jpg

Well, the thread question is a bit vague, if i would list all games i played before Gwent it would be thousands of games long, lets skip that.

I will mention a few games, for specific reasons:

- Pokemon, the trading card game (not the videogame, the physical cards) - this is where i started liking collectible card games, and after i stopped, i didnt play any other... until Gwent

- The Witcher series, started with 1 and the books, had to skip the 2nd due to lack of hardware, played TW3 and loved Gwent there, so as soon as the beta for the standalone verson was announced on E3, i signed up

- Team Fortress 2. It has nothing to do with Gwent, but there's a connection for me. I play mostly console, but the games i spend most time are on PC, where i tend to focus on a single game. it was TF2 (2010-14) which was replaced by Gwent (2016-now)

Sorry about that vagueness. You can reply anyway you want of course. Maybe listing all the games you played might be a bit much yes :)

I read a lot of games above i've never heard of before, thanks! And yes i guess the chain of games which could explain your interest in Gwent. Thanks for the replies!

The reason I play Gwent is due to liking Witcher 3 and the mini-game Gwent in it. I went to great lengths to get all the cards and win all the games in W3. After I finished W3 the first time, I got curious if there is a multiplayer Gwent and this is how I got to play it.

I spent a few years playing Overwatch, after awhile I realized that I was more stressed out after playing than before and for a game I was trying to use to relax it was obviously not doing the job. Even if sometimes I have a frustrating game of Gwent the fact that I can hang out and think carefully about each decision and not have a 12 year old call me slurs puts it in another universe as far as my ability to use it to relax.

I tried playing Overwatch again a month or two ago and ended up uninstalling it after like an hour of playing.

I mostly play games on mobile and I mostly only interested in card games.

i have played lots of ccg / card games on mobile (famous one like Pokemon, hearthstone to the not so famous ones) and some of those "pay for full game" type of card games (card city nights).

The one that got me stuck was Spellstone. It was mostly because they were smart enough to they have guild/alliance/team events and 50 people in a guild. Lots of card games including Gwent does not have this feature.

It is a very p2w game (in the early years) and DEV are not good compare to Gwent. It is worse now.

I stayed for 5 years there (still playing but retired from leadership) because of the community and because of the 5 guilds that I helped built and lead for 3 years. I stopped spending there since 2 years ago (having spent 5 figure sum in the first 2 years) but still playing in guild events even now. It has now a much smaller player base because so many have quit the game and DEV are not as greedy as before. They started buffing old cards and u can be competitive with those and f2p cards.

I was looking for a good card game after retiring from leadership there and found gwent. Well I found many and tried many card games but only Gwent is unique and different. A breath of fresh air actually from everything else I tried.

I mean most card games, u try to kill the enemy units and then put their hero health to zero. I recently trying LOR and it is the same. Gwent is totally different. At first I found it weird but I was hooked after a day of trying.

I actually has no idea about witcher series before gwent but now I even finished the Netflix witcher series.

And I am probably the few who never play any other witcher games. I want to buy and play thronebreaker but it is still not available on Andriod.

Top Bottom