Tell me I'm lying though [pre-order games?]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally pre-ordered CP but when news about cutting TPP, about delaying release started to appear I canceled pre-order. I bought the game anyway after release and honestly I regret it. I didn't expect much already but wanted to support CDPR regardless cause all the hate they get and I hoped that sooner or later they would give us a very good game. But seeing now how lack of communication with community CDPR has, how they do not recognize other flaws other that consoles' problems, I highly doubt that CP will be better eventyally and not a piece of a wasted potential. Suffice to say that I'll never pre-order game from them and even buy any game that will be released in the future. Sadly, I cannot trust CDPR anymore.

My last 3 pre-orders were: The Witcher 3, Kingdom Come Deliverance and Cyberpunk 2077.
CP2077 is the only one where I could complete every single quest and point of interest in the game in first month. I had zero CTDs and game froze to me only once. So, if there was a lesson I should've learned, Cyberpunk was a poor teacher.
Super rare events may happen like someone winning the lottery or someone playing Cyberpunk 2077 with 1 CTDs and game froze, could complete every single quest and point of interest in first month.
One single example proves nothing.

It does mean that the general populace in strides experiences the same thing.
The evidence from Youtube, forums, game getting pulled from Sony store says otherwise.

I for example have never preorder but bought day 1.
Never again buying day 1.
Lesson learned.
Post automatically merged:

Those were the days were developers were willing to provide proof of quality before the actual release date. Today we have highly polished/scripted gameplay trailers designed to manipulate you into thinking that you're going on a date with Margot Robbie, but when the date arrives it's Anita Sarkeesian standing there waiting for you.

There are no good arguments for pre-ordering a digital purchase. You also have to consider that this isn't just about you. We can only change the industry if we show corporations that we're not willing to purchase a product before it has been released. Why would you give away your money to a corporation before you've actually tested their product? The practice of pre-ordering games is actually incentivising companies to release half-baked games on the market, simply because they can make their money back without having to prove anything.
Honestly and correctly would be no preorders, offer a demo, no myriad of DLCs and patches but a finished, working game.
But then people would have to not be greedy. That is not possible.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Super rare events may happen like someone winning the lottery or someone playing Cyberpunk 2077 with 1 CTDs and game froze, could complete every single quest and point of interest in first month.
One single example proves nothing.
Yeah, I'm the only Cyberpunk owner who could 100% the game. All those people whose complaints go along the lines "I've played for anywhere from 70 to 150 hours, did absolutely everything there is to do in this game, so why should I keep playing?" are making things up.
It does mean that the general populace in strides experiences the same thing.
The evidence from Youtube, forums, game getting pulled from Sony store says otherwise.
Evidence I've seen is that PC users (those playing on Win10, at least) have little to no crashes.
Just to be clear, I didn't have crashes with KCD even at launch, TW3 was crashing every 30 minutes, but it was related to the nvidia driver and my issues were resolved after a few days when nvidia released updated version.
I for example have never preorder but bought day 1.
Never again buying day 1.
Lesson learned.
You do you. ;)

Yeah, I'm the only Cyberpunk owner who could 100% the game. All those people whose complaints go along the lines "I've played for anywhere from 70 to 150 hours, did absolutely everything there is to do in this game, so why should I keep playing?" are making things up.

Evidence I've seen is that PC users (those playing on Win10, at least) have little to no crashes.
Just to be clear, I didn't have crashes with KCD even at launch, TW3 was crashing every 30 minutes, but it was related to the nvidia driver and my issues were resolved after a few days when nvidia released updated version.

You do you. ;)
The key point its all this 3 together:
1.CP2077 is the only one where I could complete every single quest and point of interest in the game in first month.
2. had zero CTDs
3.and game froze to me only once

You bundle all three. Which makes a super rare occurrence.
Find me 5 people with those 3 key points all true.
They could finish the game and all things with out any quest or thing bugging out, zero crashes and only one freeze.
Waiting.

Guest 3847602

Find me 5 people with those 3 key points all true.
They could finish the game and all things with out any quest or thing bugging out, zero crashes and only one freeze.
Waiting.
Here is one example, I have a few anecdotal ones, but I don't intend to waste my time on disproving the point that the only people (out of more than 13 millions who bought Cyberpunk) who can play the game without crashes and quest-breaking bugs are some youtuber and me.
If you really think this is a rare phenomenon, start a new thread with a poll and ask people yourself.
Edit: typo

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one example, I have a few anecdotal ones, but I don't intend to waste my time on proving the point that the only people (out of more than 13 millions who bought Cyberpunk) who can play the game without crashes and quest-breaking bugs are some youtuber and me.
If you really have trouble believing me, start a new thread with a poll and ask people yourself.
The youtuber claims himself to be lucky. Proving my point.
You brought me one.
Youtube and forums are full of thousands or more of example. My point still remains.
Although super rare it does happen to some few.

Also the evidence is weak we would have to believe the few(anecdotal ) while the forums and youtube is full of video/pic evidence.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

The youtuber claims himself to be lucky. Proving my point.
You brought me one.
Youtube and forums are full of thousands or more of example. My point still remains.
Although super rare it does happen that some few.
Because those people who are not experiencing severe bugs don't tend to open new threads on the forums to say "No bugs for me, carry on everyone" and create montage videos about them not encountering bugs.
That is why people whose experience is almost bug-free are getting the impression that they've been ultra lucky.
I'm speaking of PC version, never seen anyone playing Cyberpunk on console IRL, so I've no idea if criticism is exaggerated or not.

There are no good arguments for pre-ordering a digital purchase.

1. You want to download it early.
2. You want to support the company by showing them your faith in the product early.
3. You intend to play the game no matter what based on currently known information about the product.

There are three reasons off the top of my head.

The practice of pre-ordering games is actually incentivising companies to release half-baked games on the market, simply because they can make their money back without having to prove anything.

Pre-orders are only "bad" in the sense they further open consumers up to be exploited. Regardless, the intent to exploit consumers in the first place is the problem. I get what you're saying though.

Pre-orders are only "bad" in the sense they further open consumers up to be exploited. Regardless, the intent to exploit consumers in the first place is the problem. I get what you're saying though.

This is the core of it, but there's a very simple reality concerning any sort of sale that will never change:

It's up to the consumer to decide the value of something for themselves and whether or not they want to spend money on it.

That's the ultimate consideration that determines whether something will or will not sell. No one can "force" a consumer to buy a game they don't want to buy. No one can be "manipulated" to do anything if they're making educated purchases. Value cannot be "dictated" from the outside. In the end, if people do not want something, they will place very little value on it, and no one will purchase it. Conversely, if something is viewed as valuable, then it will sell, even if it holds no practical value.

Supply and demand. That's all it is.

I would argue that buying anything sight-unseen is the same thing as making an investment. An investment is not a purchase. Everyone can argue the semantics of whether a pre-order for a game is technically a purchase because an actual product will eventually be delivered...but there are split hairs all over the place. The simple fact is: "it is a purchase of something that does not yet exist." By direct, academic definition of the act, that's an investment. If I put money into something that is not complete and may or may not be successful in the end, then the value of my investment may or may not see a return. Hence, if I'm not willing to take that sort of a risk, then it would be really unwise of me to intentionally put money into something that hasn't even arrived on the market, yet.

Conversely, many pre-orders add value that cannot otherwise be attained in the form of exclusive content and other merch. So that's plenty of value for many people that are into collecting and have the money to burn. It helps to fund the project, and may result in a lot more being possible than would have been, otherwise. Yes, it could be viewed (subjectively) as "exploitation" of the consumer base, but that's the heart and soul of capitalism. The practice also helps smaller studios gain both funding and visibility on a market that is extremely saturated with very competitive products.

However, in the end, any arguments for or against pre-ordering, for whatever reason, are moot. If consumers continue engaging in the practice, then demand will be high and supply will continue. If people leave it, then either value will be increased to make the option more appealing, or the practice will be abandoned.

And, at all times, we have total control over what we spend our money on. Educated purchases.

You just have to change the way you consume simply. By pre-ordering, the consumer loses the power relationship with his supplier.

The consumer's interest today is not just in the game itself - how many gamers have I seen buy a game, show it on Discord in community gaming, and then stop playing after three days. When I asked why they stopped, there were 10,000 excuses but never the truth. - There is also the "Hype" effect they like to feel. An experience. This expectation that they share with others, fantasies and sometimes make plans on the comet (I'm talking in general, not about the case of CP2077).

At the same time, we can point out the problems that there were on CP2077 but it is very hypocritical because other very bad games were released and everyone was trying to make excuses for them. No one has learned from these past behaviors and they are reproduced with many games over the years.

As a consumer we are also responsible for how we consume.

Personally, I haven't been following the communication plans and marketing of the studios for years. I waited for the release of the game and inquired about it before buying it. I didn't know what was supposed to be "promise". I expected to be disappointed, the opposite happened. Even if it is not perfect. I've already done a Thread on this, no need to go back to it.

So yes, it's quite simple to avoid this kind of situation:

- Avoid pre-ordering the game (Especially if you buy it in digital format)
- Not following the studios' communication/marketing plan. Only the product counts at its release and via its updates.
- Wait for the release of the game. Get informed and try it via demo/alpha/week end.

CD projekt has its faults however it is too easy to say that the consumer does not have his responsibilities to take. A moment in the game in a discussion with Judy and Johnny. She asks why they put female assets in advertising. V tells her it's because it works and it says a lot about us.

I did preorder, but only about a week before release day when I was sure it wasn't getting delayed again and don't regret it. I think I had one lined up around April, I believe? Cancelled that one, the push to September, then November/December made me feel I made the right decision there.
I do preorder about twice a year, but only physical copies when it's something I know I will definitely enjoy. In 2020 that was RE3, Ghost of Tsushima and CP2077. I don't do it for the bonuses or whatever, just so I can play the thing as soon as I can. Normally they arrive a day or so early which gives my probably below-average internet speed time to install/update, etc. especially during the current climate, where Sony are throttling the absolute shit out of their download speeds.

This is the core of it, but there's a very simple reality concerning any sort of sale that will never change:

It's up to the consumer to decide the value of something for themselves and whether or not they want to spend money on it.

That's the ultimate consideration that determines whether something will or will not sell. No one can "force" a consumer to buy a game they don't want to buy. No one can be "manipulated" to do anything if they're making educated purchases. Value cannot be "dictated" from the outside. In the end, if people do not want something, they will place very little value on it, and no one will purchase it. Conversely, if something is viewed as valuable, then it will sell, even if it holds no practical value.

Supply and demand. That's all it is.

I would argue that buying anything sight-unseen is the same thing as making an investment. An investment is not a purchase. Everyone can argue the semantics of whether a pre-order for a game is technically a purchase because an actual product will eventually be delivered...but there are split hairs all over the place. The simple fact is: "it is a purchase of something that does not yet exist." By direct, academic definition of the act, that's an investment. If I put money into something that is not complete and may or may not be successful in the end, then the value of my investment may or may not see a return. Hence, if I'm not willing to take that sort of a risk, then it would be really unwise of me to intentionally put money into something that hasn't even arrived on the market, yet.

Conversely, many pre-orders add value that cannot otherwise be attained in the form of exclusive content and other merch. So that's plenty of value for many people that are into collecting and have the money to burn. It helps to fund the project, and may result in a lot more being possible than would have been, otherwise. Yes, it could be viewed (subjectively) as "exploitation" of the consumer base, but that's the heart and soul of capitalism. The practice also helps smaller studios gain both funding and visibility on a market that is extremely saturated with very competitive products.

However, in the end, any arguments for or against pre-ordering, for whatever reason, are moot. If consumers continue engaging in the practice, then demand will be high and supply will continue. If people leave it, then either value will be increased to make the option more appealing, or the practice will be abandoned.

And, at all times, we have total control over what we spend our money on. Educated purchases.

Interesting, but I guess you do understand the discussion about Pre-order in industry still have both side, right?
There are something much more like the investment called Crowdfunding, and everytime we talk about it, we will say it's not Pre-order, developer don't have responsibility of it, because they just offer an idea then funding form the people who trust it would became true. Sounds familiar? So what's the different?
Pre-order have responsibility. The market management make people believe that they are ready, promise the good customer would had. This step actually make the responsibility. Corps can't just tag for reference only to pretend there is no fraud. Acutally, the point is there is not enough punishment so that corps will compare gain and loss. Cheat to the customers gain much because people are fool and lazy, CP2077 still sell well after the surge of refund of the failure of run at console.
You know what? Even Crowdfunding platform refuse to give all money to the starter immediately, but give all their cut after the product done with deducting the refund, which make it like Pre-order now, because there have great risk of fraud. And if safe problem of car is discovered, there will be a recall whatever if the car was Pre-ordered. So why Pre-order still be allowed and can make money easy? Why CDPR don't need to recall the game and release it 1 years later with huge fine? For the faith of market? Or the ironical belief of capitalism since this game is CP2077?
Because the corp always win, only bigger corp can win this fight, just like crowdfunding platform, it's bigger so it win, cut the money to the starter to reduce the fraud not for clean the world but for earn more money.
So there won't be enough retribution, never. Would CDPR have punishment of jail? or break at least? Even complain about the fraud looks like not justice enough.
The corp always win.
What a performance act!

Last edited:
Why would you ever pre-order in the digital age?
I don't know if you remember but in the past every game was releasing a DEMO you could download for free and play it. Times are changing but you still can wait for reviews and more "honest" videos to asses if the product worth your money.

Interesting, but I guess you do understand the discussion about Pre-order in industry still have both side, right?
There are something much more like the investment called Crowdfunding, and everytime we talk about it, we will say it's not Pre-order, developer don't have responsibility of it, because they just offer an idea then funding form the people who trust it would became true. Sounds familiar? So what's the different?
Pre-order have responsibility. The market management make people believe that they are ready, promise the good customer would had. This step actually make the responsibility. Corps can't just tag for reference only to pretend there is no fraud. Acutally, the point is there is not enough punishment so that corps will compare gain and loss. Cheat to the customers gain much because people are fool and lazy, CP2077 still sell well after the surge of refund of the failure of run at console.
You know what? Even Crowdfunding platform refuse to give all money to the starter immediately, but give all their cut after the product done with deducting the refund, which make it like Pre-order now, because there have great risk of fraud. And if safe problem of car is discovered, there will be a recall whatever if the car was Pre-ordered. So why Pre-order still be allowed and can make money easy? Why CDPR don't need to recall the game and release it 1 years later with huge fine? For the faith of market? Or the ironical belief of capitalism since this game is CP2077?
Because the corp always win, only bigger corp can win this fight, just like crowdfunding platform, it's bigger so it win, cut the money to the starter to reduce the fraud not for clean the world but for earn more money.
So there won't be enough retribution, never. Would CDPR have punishment of jail? or break at least? Even complain about the fraud looks like not justice enough.
The corp always win.
What a performance act!

This the concept of how it can be used for exploitation, exactly. That's exactly it.

Where the argument here begins to break down is the focus on "retribution, punishment, or justice". While I fully agree with you that there should be laws and such in place for it -- we can dream on. It's not going to happen for one very, easy reason:

Capitalism is not illegal. Nor will it become illegal. Nor is it possible to make it illegal and sustain it. People will only innovate if they can better their situation. If someone takes away their returns (profits), whether monetary or otherwise, innovation will cease and economy with stagnate. And people should be rewarded for their work and creativity!

So...where do we draw the line? Where is the magical marker that sets the absolute, universal threshold that determines when capitalism has become hostile exploitation? What are the consequences? (This is what governments all over the world try to manage now, and always have. But there's no one answer. Yes, I believe that many policies could be far more strict, but even if they were, it would not solve the issue. Nothing will, until our societies no longer requires competitive economy to function.)

Thus, the reality, regardless of how everyone feels about it, is that it's up to each consumer to decide how to spend their money. If we take a risk, knowingly and willingly, and it doesn't go our way, then we our responsible for our choices, not other people. If we choose not to engage in risky purchases, then we'll likely have to go without some of the things we want. So, it's give and take, either way.

Too late! Already pre-ordered Baldur's Gate 3. Feeling pretty confident in Larian being everything CDPR is not considering their unparalleled pro-consumer track record and Early Access sneak peak.
Post automatically merged:

Perfection isn't possible. And I prefer games which push the limits and have issues, to games that just rehash old tropes.
Cyberpunk 2077 satisfied immensely on both accounts!

I don't think the world has ever seen a game less perfect, and with more issues - while also pushing the limits of hype and deceit further than almost anyone.

Last edited:
I sure won't buy anything on GOG again, or made by this company. Until I see this actually fixed. It's that simple. You hurt them with your money. I dont' care about courts and other bunk. Only money hurts companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom