I am new to The Witcher 3

+
Hi ... I am new to The Witcher 3 GOTY, (Xbox One) so new in fact that it is still coming on order :D. I am wondering how I will go with it as an older gamer, are there many playing it?
I have been doing a lot of reading and it is getting me fairly excited as I do love open world games, even though I am not a great player, but I love playing them anyway.
What I have noticed in reading is that the storyline is more intense than some other games (AC) that I have played and that's a good thing.
One last thing that I would like to say is that when logging in with GOG it wouldn't take my username and password from gog.com.
Shane.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, @NotSo77 , and I hope you enjoy The Witcher III! It is a splendid game, indeed, with a very strong narrative, and many fine, engaging side stories. I can't speak definitively, but I do know that we've heard from several older players who've enjoyed it enormously over the years. If you've any questions along the way, please, feel free to ask.

Good luck on the Path!

If it means anything, I've completed the game (including DLCs) 3 times in the past 3-4 years, clocking more than 1000 hours on the game according to Steam. No other game in my library comes close - only Skyrim at 800+ hours, and two playthroughs.

If it means anything, I've completed the game (including DLCs) 3 times in the past 3-4 years, clocking more than 1000 hours on the game according to Steam. No other game in my library comes close - only Skyrim at 800+ hours, and two playthroughs.
Like I have said I am really looking forward to playing, with the exploring etc, just hope I can get used to all the combat, potions etc. I have finished the story line in AC Valhalla but I am stopped by a bug and can't go forward in that game so having looked at this game for a long time I thought I would give it a go. I have never played fantasy type games before (aren't they all fantasy :ROFLMAO:).

It would help if you're familiar with the world of the Witcher, if you have the time I recommend reading the books upon which the series is based. IMO playing the earlier games is strictly not necessary, if you've read the books you have enough background knowledge to better understand the world as you explore it.

Hayashi.226 - Yes I was wondering about that and I have been doing a bit of reading on web sites without going into cheats etc. and reading maps usually help too. I don't like reading how to do quest as well, it takes the surprises from them. ;)
I suppose it will have some sort of tuition when you start the game too. But I will be reading as much as possible before I start the game.
The online game place that I bought it from said that it was an Australian company but they said it would take like up to 10 working days to arrive? So I looked into the company "About" page and found out it is in the UK.
So I will have some time to read. :ROFLMAO: read, read, read.

PS. is there any interesting stuff on this forum that might help.

You could explore the forum but it'll be difficult to steer clear of spoilers. Best reserve the forum for when you have questions.
Start with the first 2 books of the series, The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. They are basically short stories that introduce the world and major characters. The other books (Blood of Elves, Time of Contempt, Baptism of Fire, The Tower of the Swallow and The Lady of the Lake) are connected books that tell the story of Geralt, how he and Ciri came to be inextricably linked, and his search for Ciri - a theme you'll revisit in The Witcher 3.
The recent Netflix series also offers a good introduction to Geralt but of course as it's an adaptation of the first 2 books, may not be completely faithful to canon.

Thank you so much, :) yes I have bookmarked the Netflix movies and I will watch them later. I just finished watching a video by Luke Stephens
which was a good one with no spoilers and gave good constructive comments on how to play the game. I only assume his comments are good as I haven't played it yet, but he sounds good in what he says.

You're welcome. Don't be constrained by others, play how you feel it ought to be played. Take your time to smell the roses along the way, so to speak, and have fun.

Take your time to smell the roses along the way, so to speak, and have fun.

Yes I got that from the video too. Luke said that he got straight into the story and didn't worry about other things, which he said he regretted because it was relevant later in the story, and also missing out on other side missions etc.

BTW I received an answer from the software company in the UK and they told me not to worry, if I don't receive the game within 30 days :cry: , WHAT 30 days, they would send me another game. That'll teach me not to check out online companies properly, even though it had an Aussie name and address?
Have a good day "Hayashi.226" and stay healthy.

The recent Netflix series also offers a good introduction to Geralt but of course as it's an adaptation of the first 2 books, may not be completely faithful to canon.
Yes mate I have been watching it with 2 series to go :D and loving it. If the game has you hanging on for the next part like the series, I will be totally hooked in the game. (y)

Good morning all :giggle:
I have seen somewhere in the forum with information on how I can post with codes properly, but I can't find it again.
It was a huge post.
Can anyone help me please.
PS. I am still waiting for the slow boat from the UK to Australia with my game. :ROFLMAO:

I have seen somewhere in the forum with information on how I can post with codes properly, but I can't find it again.
It was a huge post.
Codes, as in formatting? I know I made such a huge post once but it's from 2019.
All the options are available in the message editor.

Yes sorry, I did mean in formatting. I saw it when I first joined this forum and I thought I would come and read it properly later. I know it started with "BB Codes" but there was a lot more on the page than that.
Oh well not a big thing if it not needed today.
Thank you for your reply.
Post automatically merged:

@Draconifors ... I found the post here.

Last edited:
Old gamer here too. I recently finished the main story and two expansions for the first time and have started a NG+ run. Here are some pointers that should help you along the way.

You can't just button-mash until the bad beast/guy is dead like in many other RPGs. It'll take a week + to get used to the controls and the flow of combat. Use the difficulty slider so you can get a feel for the game and flow of combat first. Then after maybe getting to around halfway through Velen (or however long it takes for you to get used to combat), restart on the normal difficulty level. I currently play on B&BB difficulty I dont really enjoy Death March.

Definitely watch/read tutorials and the instruction manual so you at least know how to do everything. For my first 10 days of play I never thought to combine mutagens. By 10th level and beyond, you will sometimes spend minutes in your alchemy, inventory, and character menus and with armors/blacksmiths dismantling and creating stuff.

Don't worry about 'optimal' builds. In Velen (and further on) you can get a potion that resets all your ability points so you can try out different builds. It costs 1k but you should be swimming in coin by the time you can get one.

I've found that dismantling most things isn't worth it since you have to pay to dismantle. I get so many runestones and components that the only time I do dismantle is when I have that one specific component that I need to create the griffin sword (ex.) and I happen to have something I can take apart to get it. I never take apart swords or armor to get runestones back. I just sell them because I have 5 more of that exact same runestone. Crafting and alchemy components don't weigh anything so collect all and just sell the excess. I usually sell some once I get above twenty for the total number of a specific component. By the time I'm level 15 I have over 15k in crowns (gold) By the time I'm level 20 I have 50k and have stopped searching every box/bag/whatever unless it's directly on my way.

Parry is so much fun. Before using it regularly I was like, "Let me just roll to the archers to take care of them." Then I figured out two things. First, parry works in EVERY direction! As long as you're holding parry you will block standard attacks from ALL sides - not just the direction you're facing! Now I just hold parry all the time with humans and sometimes with monsters (some monster/beast attacks and all human attacks with two-handed weapons will stun you or go through parry. You'll have to learn which ones you can use parry on). Second, spending one point in the 'arrow deflection' ability gets you a really good defensive stance that can deflect arrows, swords, maces, and such from all angles while you move through combat.

Read your beastiary, alchemy, crafting, so that you know creature weaknesses and have an idea of what items, potions, decoctions, oils, etc. you can construct.

On higher difficulty oils and potions/decoctions are practically a necessity. On the 'normal' difficulty they make you superman!

If you are a completionist (like me) you will be above the recommended level for many quests by the time you get to Novigrad. If you are more than 5 levels above the recommended level you only get a pittance in XP for completing that quest. I was able to stay within the recommended level range for most things through Velen by doing only the Velen main quest stories (hunting the witch and the crones) as soon as I arrived and THEN going through all the side quests. However, the Velen side quests get you up to ~16th level. Past many of the Novigrad main quest recommended levels, BUT that's perfectly fine! If you go this route you'll just stay at the very top end of the recommended level for the areas/quests that you are doing.

Use your stash chest in Velen and Novigrad (and other locations) to store Witcher gear you aren't currently using but don't worry about carrying around an extra full set of armor/weapons for specific reasons. Some armor is much better suited to fighting humans and other armor better for monsters. Pay attention to percentage damage reductions for specific types of attacks. Most of the time percentage damage reduction will help you more, even if that armor has a base armor protection that's 10-20% lower than another armor. Also, buy better saddle bags and equip Roach with them ASAP. Better saddle bags = more carry weight.

Mods are really down to personal preference but I'll give you my list.
FCR3 (and compatibility patches), HD Reworked Project, NPC Scabbards, Community Patch (Base and Besserwisser), and World Map Fixes.

I tried playing Witcher 3 without FCR3 and, for some reason, FCR3 feels more like vanilla than vanilla. I love what it does to the game (including all the bug fixes) and can't play without it but, again, to each their own. I looked into Ghost Mode and the Enhanced Edition and don't want to change the game that much, yet. FCR3 was made by one of the original developers of Witcher 3. I like his minimalist changes (but big impact) way of doing things.

I'm sure I have other pointers but can't think of more now. I'll add more as I remember them.

alceryes - Mods are really down to personal preference but I'll give you my list.​

Wow, what a post, thank you so much for all the info. I have expanded my notes that I have taken greatly before I start playing. I see from your post that it has NG+ as well.
Mods I think are only for PC games.
Yes I am still waiting for the game to arrive.:cry: I am waiting on an Xbox One game to arrive on a slow boat from the UK. :shrug: They said if it doesn't arrive in 30 days they will send me another game but that's not the point.

It will teach me to check out game web sites more carefully in the future, even though it had a Aussie name and address.

Top Bottom